Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: chilliwack report tuesday dec19th  (Read 2524 times)

allwaysfishin

chilliwack report tuesday dec19th
« on: December 21, 2006, 11:12:02 AM »

this report is a lil late but here it is. Arived at Whatcom rd Timmies at 6:45 a.m., waiting for Capt Bonk to roll up but..... he was a no show , so on i went to the upper river. Hit up the slab area first thing and pounded through the fishey lookin water with blades, roe and jumbo prawn tails.... nadda. Also did not see a single soul with rod in hand... just awesome :D. Headed my way down river, stopping at a few spots on the way.... had one float down but nothin there when i struck. Decided around noon to check out the lower as the visibility was improving somewhat. The upper had a good 2 to 3 feet of visibilty but the lower, about a foot, give or take a few inches. I did a lot of wading and casting as i ventured around the lower and finally i found an absolute gem of a seam and figured , if thier gonna be anywhere.... it'll be right here. 3 casts in with a huge 4 inch prawn tail and down goes my float, I set the hook and the tell tale head shake of a steelhead shakes my sage 2106... and then nothin, the line goes limp as a beauty bar silver 8/10 lbs steelhead breaks the surface and gets away..... laughing i'm sure ;D. I reel up and inspect my hook, prawn is shredded, hook still sharp.... bummer.
   Anyway, was a great day on the water, fished from dawn till dusk pretty much, very few guys out fishing and i found my money spot for derby day.

that's it for now.
check out my full fishing report on the steveston marine website.

norm_2

Re: chilliwack report tuesday dec19th
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2006, 12:02:48 PM »

Nice report.  Is your 2106 a brown or green blank?  Thanks.

dennisK

• Old Timer
  • sheep rise up.
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2006, 12:05:03 PM »

. 3 casts in with a huge 4 inch prawn tail and down goes my float,

How do you prepare your prawn? and attach it with?

Sabre

• Bite Me
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2006, 12:19:57 PM »

Thanks for the report allwaysfishin :D

allwaysfishin

« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2006, 12:26:48 PM »

i refuse to own any of the new sages. My flyrods are all RPLs and my 3106 and 2106 and my new 4110 blank are all brown blank originals.

I do my prawns different than most guys.
I buy the red bag, black tiger prawns, with the shell on. I bring water to a boil and drop em in for 30 seconds. I pour off the boiling water and let cold water run on the prawns for a couple minutes to immediatley stop the cooking process. I then use the jumbo squares of redwing spawn net and wrap the entire prawn except for the tail fans, tying the spawn net off at the top of the prawn.
that's it.

for rigging, a 1/0 barbless red gamikatsu through the top, out the side and pull the hook clean through, then i put the hook in again about 1/2 way down the prawn and leave the eye, and the point exposed, with shank inside the prawn. I open the roe loop at the eye and it goes around the body of the prawn. Kinda hard to explain, but, one prawn, properly rigged, will stay on for a very, very long time.

I have caught the majority of the past 6 years of steelhead on this rig.

scruffy

• Old Timer
  • fish on
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2006, 12:50:52 PM »

thanks for the report thomas  ;D

CohoOn!

« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2006, 02:02:09 PM »

Thanks for the help with the prawn rigs.  :) These are prawns with the heads still on, right? Are you opening the egg loop and putting the head of the prawn through the loop and then tightening it back down around it's body?
Long May Yer Big Jib Draw!

allwaysfishin

« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2006, 02:12:26 PM »

NOPE
I buy black tiger prawns, from Safeway. They come in a red bag for around 8.50 a bag. They are tails, no head, but the shell is still on. I put the hook through the top of the prawn tail and through, then back into the prawn tail half way down and through only enough to expose most of the bend of the hook and i leave the eye exposed, shank in the prawn. The hook point should be coming out just above the tail fans. This positions the eye about 2/3 of the way down the prawn and the egg loop goes down around the tail fans and tightens around the prawn tail at the eye of the hook. This will NOT work on a prawn or shrimp that has not been wrapped in spawn net. I'll try and put up a pic.

allwaysfishin

« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2006, 02:25:51 PM »

you can see the prawn in the pic , though it is upside down. I tried to edit and enlarge the bait itself but.... it was way too fuzzy. But that's what it looks like
« Last Edit: December 21, 2006, 02:27:30 PM by allwaysfishin »

CAPTAIN BONK

• Old Timer
  • THERE'S NO HEAD BETTER THEN STEELHEAD !
« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2006, 02:39:37 PM »

THOMAS IS SHOWING OFF !!!!!!!!!!!!!!  ;D

Grub

« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2006, 05:49:54 PM »

I use procured lobsters. Pricey but well worth it
not cool enough for a banner

BigFisher

• Old Timer
  • Bite My Hook
« Reply #11 on: December 21, 2006, 10:05:03 PM »

I hope that spot where your picture was taken is still there, is it?
The Bigger The Better!

allwaysfishin

« Reply #12 on: December 22, 2006, 09:41:56 AM »

nope :( , unfortunately that spot is high and fricken dry, no river flow near it.... but on the bright side , I found several spots that have steelhead holding water written all over em. that pic is from feb 06, it's been posted before.

CAPTAIN BONK

• Old Timer
  • THERE'S NO HEAD BETTER THEN STEELHEAD !
« Reply #13 on: December 22, 2006, 01:14:56 PM »

THOMAS, HAVE U BEEN TANNING ?