Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Bar Fishing questions  (Read 1757 times)

cglasgow

Bar Fishing questions
« on: September 29, 2015, 08:30:24 PM »

Hi all, just getting all the little things dialed in to make a nice fun day on the water go smooth as possible without any incidents that take away from fishing time, one thing iv had difficulty with and wondered if others experienced the same and how they approached it, is beaching the boat when bar fishing mainly getting in and out of the boat and casting off from shore without damaging the prop I have a similar boat to the one in rods latest photo entry where ken is fighting the chinook in the beginning of sept

Chromie

Re: Bar Fishing questions
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2015, 08:16:00 AM »

Hopefully you have a depth sounder as you will need it to see how deep it is. If not just when close to shore stop your motor and lift it and let the momentum of the boat go into the shore

Noahs Arc

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2015, 08:38:06 AM »

Every bar is different.  I have jumped off the bow with the bow line in hand thinking we were plenty shallow (we run prop boats) only to be coming back up for air. Some bars are really shallow a long way out. If I'm going to a new bar I've never been to I'll usually get a buddy or myself and poke around with an oar while pointing upstream and slowly moving in. Once I'm happy I'll pull out and get a small run at it. Of course if you're on a busy bar full of flossers I wouldn't recommend doing that.

Always approach a bar with the bow upstream. Seems simple but you get to learn the right and wrong way to do things pretty quick out there watching some guys.

I'd invest in a spare prop and keep it in the boat at all times.

cglasgow

« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2015, 09:28:00 AM »

Thanks for replies every one I guess it's all about trial and error, just wondering how you all cast off, do you just get all your guests into the boat and push it off while you climb in or do you push off with oars, it is difficult to climb over the side in chest waders with the current taking the boat downriver!!

Riverman

• old fart
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2015, 01:47:41 PM »

All good stuff.I would like to add make sure you always jump out or into the boat on the up stream side.The current can bury you  quick on the down stream side on some bars.
Riverman