Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Drift net opening again  (Read 14089 times)

Jaws

Re: Drift net opening again
« Reply #15 on: August 23, 2009, 12:06:47 AM »

Hi Rod,

I AM saying that nobody should be allowed to fish for any species of salmon if one that is endangered can be harmed by the method of fishing for another.  Unless, however, there is no need to be concerned based on scientific data and then ANYONE should be allowed to fish for them.  Yes, I didn't answer your question, but that doesn't mean I didn't know the answer.  To say so is presumptuous.  The issue here is that there seem to be two different rules and regulations: one set for those who have to stop in front of the stop sign and another for those who are allowed to go right through it from time to time. My argument is that WHO is allowed to fish is secondary to, in my mind, the obligation to preserve a stock of salmon.  Collateral damage is not acceptable in my opinion, unless, of course, the number trends look positive for the future.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #16 on: August 23, 2009, 12:18:10 AM »

You're not following what I have written. Re-read the following:

The current escapement estimate of the summer run sockeye salmon meets the conservation requirement and some First Nations' quota. While the significant decline from the pre-season estimate at 50% probability level to the current estimate is a concern, the stock is not endangered as the general public has made to believe by media's generalized reporting. The stock is too low for allocation in the sportfishing and commercial sectors, which is only available once the first two requirements (conservation and First Nation allocation) are met.

The West Coast salmon fishery is managed as the following.

Conservation first, First Nations second, recreational sector and commercial sectors last.

Once conservation requirement/spawning escapement is met, then First Nations are given the opportunities to harvest. Once allocation of First Nations' harvest is met, then the remaining stock is given to the recreational and commercial sectors.

The summer chinook salmon run had a abundant pre-season forecast (status category four out of four), which allows weekend communal openings for First Nations and the recreational sector.

If you or others have a problem with this management protocol, then do something about it.

So, back to the question which you know the answer to, which stocks that are currently being targeted by the First Nations and the recreational sector are endangered?

scales

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #17 on: August 23, 2009, 08:32:42 AM »

Highly unlikely. If people are interested in having a sockeye recreational fishery, what people should dispute is the policy that is current in place, which must allow First Nations' catches reach their allocated quota before openings are given to the recreational sector. If the Harrison River is opened for recreational sockeye fishing, then one can be sure that the rest of the Lower Fraser First Nations would not be pleased as their allowable catches have been reduced this year.

Another item to note about the Harrison sockeye salmon is the recreational fishery is rarely opened unless the Fraser River is already opened, due to the amount of waters available for fishing. If the Harrison River sockeye is opened for anglers, one can only imagine how congested and troubling this stretch of river would become. Safety is also taken into consideration when deciding fishery openings.

Thanks for your opinion on this matter, like you I don't expect an opening this season for the Harrison including the Fraser due to conservation protocol.  Disputing policies would take time and energy for a lost cause when dealing with conservation.  I wish the decision for sports fishing by DFO should have been a complete closure throughout the river.

Frankey

« Reply #18 on: August 23, 2009, 08:52:47 AM »

I will take it one further...complete closure for all user groups, FN included.

scales

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #19 on: August 29, 2009, 12:34:57 AM »

A)Fraser River FN drift net opening again this weekend, Aug. 29 & 30th for Chinooks and Pinks.
B)Gulf Area opening for Pinks:
CANADIAN FRASER RIVER PANEL AREA WATERS:
Area 18-4: Opens for Area H troll ITQ fishery for pink salmon with non-retention of
sockeye salmon 12:01 a.m. Sunday, August 30, 2009 until further notice (Please refer to DFO
Fishery Notice for further details).
UNITED STATES FRASER RIVER PANEL AREA WATERS:
TREATY INDIAN FISHERY:
Areas 6, 7, and 7A: As previously announced, open to net fishing from 5:00 a.m., Friday,
August 28, 2009 to 8:00 a.m. Saturday, August 29, 2009.
Areas 6, 7, and 7A: Open to net fishing from 5:00 a.m., Sunday, August 30, 2009 to 8:00
a.m. Monday, August 31, 2009 and from 5:00 a.m. Tuesday, September 1, 2009 to 8:00 a.m.
Wednesday, September 2, 2009 southerly and easterly of a straight line drawn from the Iwersen’s
Dock on Point Roberts in the State of Washington to the Georgina Point Light at the entrance to
Active Pass in the Province of British Columbia.
Areas 4B, 5 and 6C: As previously announced, open to drift gillnets from 12:00 p.m.
(noon), Wednesday, August 26, 2009 to 12:00 p.m. (noon) Saturday, August 29, 2009.
Areas 4B, 5 and 6C: Extended for drift gillnets from 12:00 p.m. (noon), Saturday, August
29, 2009 to 12:00 p.m. (noon) Wednesday, September 2, 2009.
NON INDIAN FISHERY:
Area 7 and 7A: Open to purse seines for pink salmon with non-retention of sockeye
salmon from 5:00 a.m. to 9:00 p.m. Saturday, August 29, 2009; and 5:00 a.m. to 9:00 p.m.
Monday, August 31, 2009 southerly and easterly of a straight line drawn from the Iwersen’s Dock
on Point Roberts in the State of Washington to the Georgina Point Light at the entrance to Active
Pass in the Province of British Columbia.
Area 7 and 7A: Open to gillnets for pink salmon with non-retention of sockeye salmon
from 8:00 a.m. to 11:59 p.m. (midnight) Saturday, August 29, 2009; and 8:00 a.m. to 11:59 p.m.
(midnight), Monday, August 31, 2009 southerly and easterly of a straight line drawn from the
Iwersen’s Dock on Point Roberts in the State of Washington to the Georgina Point Light at the
entrance to Active Pass in the Province of British Columbia.
Areas 7 and 7A: As previously announced, open to reefnets for pink salmon with nonretention
of sockeye salmon from 5:00 a.m. to 9:00 p.m. Wednesday, August 26, 2009; 5:00 a.m.
to 9:00 p.m. Thursday, August 27, 2009; and from 5:00 a.m. to 9:00 p.m. Friday, August 28,
Areas 7 and 7A: Open to reefnets for pink salmon with non-retention of sockeye salmon
from 5:00 a.m. to 9:00 p.m. Saturday, August 30, 2009; 5:00 a.m. to 9:00 p.m. Sunday, August
31, 2009; 5:00 a.m. to 9:00 p.m. Monday, August 31; and from 5:00 a.m. to 9:00 p.m. Tuesday,
September 1, 2009 southerly and easterly of a straight line drawn from the Iwersen’s Dock on
Point Roberts in the State of Washington to the Georgina Point Light at the entrance to Active
Pass in the Province of British Columbia.

scales

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #20 on: August 29, 2009, 12:47:12 AM »

"Open to gillnets for pink salmon with non-retention of sockeye salmon"
Just wondering how you can have save all the incidental catches of Sockeye salmon when using a gillnet to catch Pink salmon?  I thought that he gillnet would suffocate the fish.  Having all these commercial and communal openings, it would seem that the DFO is not too concern with the handling of the Sockeyes.  What was the reason for DFO to shut down salmon fishing from Agassiz to Hope again?????   

robj

« Reply #21 on: August 29, 2009, 07:58:47 AM »

Yep FN get the first crack at the fishery.  As far as incidental catch goes, yes they do catch some Sockeye, and if they are alive, they are supposed to throw them back, but if they are dead, they keep them.  So it is safe to say that some Sockeye will be caught.  But I am sure that is calculated into the conservation strategy by DFO.  They have allocated some Sockeye that will be caught in this opening.  They do use a larger mesh size so theoritically some can swim through the net.  Not sure how you can keep a Sockeye out of a Pink net???

Have a great day
« Last Edit: August 29, 2009, 08:00:56 AM by robj »

Terry D

• Carp are sportfish too!!!
« Reply #22 on: August 29, 2009, 09:20:52 AM »

I understand gill nets are banned in the UK as they are too indiscriminate and kill lots of fish. Even the Environment Agency will only use them for sampling certain waters where this is the only effective method for that particular water.

Morty

« Reply #23 on: August 30, 2009, 10:26:34 PM »

I see there are not any First Nations openings scheduled in the Fraser River for the weeks ending September 6th and 13th.
"What are YOU going to DO about the salmon crisis?"

Jaws

« Reply #24 on: October 02, 2009, 11:11:11 AM »

You're not following what I have written. Re-read the following:

So, back to the question which you know the answer to, which stocks that are currently being targeted by the First Nations and the recreational sector are endangered?

Hi Rod,

What do you think about this quote?   
"Prior to 1912, the estimated run of Sockeye was over 100 million!"  I wonder where we will be in 50 years from now.

Gaffer

« Reply #25 on: October 06, 2009, 04:08:26 PM »

This doesn't make sense!  There must be individuals out there who understand that fishing for an endangered stock is mindless and may likely endanger ceremonial customs in the future.  Where are they?
The Dep,t of Dead Fish opened the fishery to the FN for Food,Social,& Ceremonial FSC It's legal--don't blame the FN put it where it belongs In Ottawa-- they MAKE the laws WE follow them . there's lots of Springs left in the river-- no endangered species there so let's put our anger where it belongs---- In the Ballot box!---Cheers

Ed

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #26 on: October 08, 2009, 09:13:45 AM »

So much fishing is going on right now and people still complain so much. I wondering sometimes if everybody knows that it isn't the FN creating the biggest impact on the salmon stock. I do believe that drift net fishing catches a lot more fish than rods but you would need to compare their drift net techniques with the commercial boats in our fishing industry.

skaha

• Old Timer
« Reply #27 on: October 08, 2009, 10:04:37 AM »

--we've got to stop thinking in terms of geographic or time closures to protect fish stocks.
--we need to concentrate on live capture methods that allow for selective live release.
--I am sure we could refine and design.. weir, fish ladder or pens that would allow for reduced by-catch mortality as well as more accurate accounting of fish numbers caught, released or allowed to pass through.

BwiBwi

• Old Timer
« Reply #28 on: October 08, 2009, 10:11:51 AM »

So much fishing is going on right now and people still complain so much. I wondering sometimes if everybody knows that it isn't the FN creating the biggest impact on the salmon stock. I do believe that drift net fishing catches a lot more fish than rods but you would need to compare their drift net techniques with the commercial boats in our fishing industry.

Commercial boats has not been out for sockeye in many years.

Ed

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #29 on: October 10, 2009, 10:50:20 PM »

Interesting spin you put on this Rod.  How is this extensive strategy working so far?  I am curious to know.

I would rather the press errors on the side of saying the stocks are endangered. What else would we want them to say.?  Thing arent as bad as they seem.

Great to hear they are targeting springs and not socks. What a crock of crap. What difference does that make? The incidental catch must be minimal  then eh?
Somehow I dont think so. I have witnessed first hand the incidental catch with spring openings at this time of year and theirs a hell of a lot more than springs in the
nets and totes.

Bluesteele

Oh yeah if anyone wants to know my name is Kevin. Live in richmond. Drive a blk chevy silverado. Nothing anonymous about me.

So I guess you also agree that all commercial practices are full of crap too ? FN didn't make the species endangered, our economy did.