Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Drift net opening again  (Read 14088 times)

scales

• I'm a llama!
Drift net opening again
« on: August 22, 2009, 09:51:46 AM »

Once again there will be a full First Nation drift net opening for Chinook today and tomorrow for those that observe them in the Fraser from the Richmond to Sawmill Creek.
Talking about rising tensions amongst user groups, the DFO has not stepped up to alleviate the problems as they maintained a closed to fishing to sport fishers in selected portion of the Fraser and yet portions remains open to selected sports groups that practice all types of fishing methods to catch their fish.

Trout Slayer

• Old Timer
Re: Drift net opening again
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2009, 12:24:29 PM »

The sockeye they catch are going straight to the fish crates too, watched it last weekend.

scales

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2009, 09:32:52 PM »

The sockeye they catch are going straight to the fish crates too, watched it last weekend.

Was up around Hope, saw fair numbers of trucks with those big blue/green tote on it.  Surely it can't all be Chinooks in it? :-\   DFO better be patrolling the Fraser from Agassiz to Hope because we can't!!! ;)

Jaws

« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2009, 10:04:24 PM »

This doesn't make sense!  There must be individuals out there who understand that fishing for an endangered stock is mindless and may likely endanger ceremonial customs in the future.  Where are they?

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2009, 10:05:56 PM »

What stock is endangered?

Jaws

« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2009, 10:14:56 PM »

Oh, there isn't a salmon stock that is of concern?  I can bring my badminton net to the river?  Are you asking this seriously, Rod?

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2009, 10:16:25 PM »

It's a serious question. Which stock is endangered?

Jaws

« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2009, 10:24:02 PM »

I guess all must be fine then.  Tight lines!

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2009, 10:35:48 PM »

If you cannot answer a serious question, then please simply indicate so instead of ignoring the fact. This is just another example that annonymous participation in internet discussion forum does not make a good venue for discussion of serious issues such as this.

For others who do not already know and still wish to learn. There are currently two sockeye salmon populations that are designated as endangered - Sakinaw Lake population and Cultus Lake population. Both have extensive strategy in place to assist their recovery.

The current escapement estimate of the summer run sockeye salmon meets the conservation requirement and some First Nations' quota. While the significant decline from the pre-season estimate at 50% probability level to the current estimate is a concern, the stock is not endangered as the general public has made to believe by media's generalized reporting. The stock is too low for allocation in the sportfishing and commercial sectors, which is only available once the first two requirements (conservation and First Nation allocation) are met.

The target species of this weekend's communal opening for the Lower Fraser First Nations is summer chinook salmon, which are returning in strong numbers like many other parts of the Pacific Northwest. Because the return is much higher than anticipated, additional recreational openings have been given in the Thompson River.

mykisscrazy

« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2009, 10:47:10 PM »

Rod,
Thank you again for being the voice of reason!

bluesteele

« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2009, 10:57:07 PM »

If you cannot answer a serious question, then please simply indicate so instead of ignoring the fact. This is just another example that annonymous participation in internet discussion forum does not make a good venue for discussion of serious issues such as this.

For others who do not already know and still wish to learn. There are currently two sockeye salmon populations that are designated as endangered - Sakinaw Lake population and Cultus Lake population. Both have extensive strategy in place to assist their recovery.

The current escapement estimate of the summer run sockeye salmon meets the conservation requirement and some First Nations' quota. While the significant decline from the pre-season estimate at 50% probability level to the current estimate is a concern, the stock is not endangered as the general public has made to believe by media's generalized reporting. The stock is too low for allocation in the sportfishing and commercial sectors, which is only available once the first two requirements (conservation and First Nation allocation) are met.

The target species of this weekend's ceremonial opening for the Lower Fraser First Nations is summer chinook salmon, which are returning in strong numbers like many other parts of the Pacific Northwest. Because the return is much higher than anticipated, additional recreational openings have been given in the Thompson River.

Interesting spin you put on this Rod.  How is this extensive strategy working so far?  I am curious to know.

I would rather the press errors on the side of saying the stocks are endangered. What else would we want them to say.?  Thing arent as bad as they seem.

Great to hear they are targeting springs and not socks. What a crock of crap. What difference does that make? The incidental catch must be minimal  then eh?
Somehow I dont think so. I have witnessed first hand the incidental catch with spring openings at this time of year and theirs a hell of a lot more than springs in the
nets and totes.

Bluesteele

Oh yeah if anyone wants to know my name is Kevin. Live in richmond. Drive a blk chevy silverado. Nothing anonymous about me.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2009, 11:14:10 PM »

Interesting spin you put on this Rod.  How is this extensive strategy working so far?  I am curious to know.

No spins required, simply providing the facts that I am aware of. This doesn't mean I agree or disagree with these facts, but please, it's unnecessary to disrespect my findings by labelling them as spins. If one should find that I have provided incorrect information, correct it, I'm glad to hear it as always.

Recovery strategy for Sakinaw sockeye salmon: http://www.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/media/back-fiche/2004/sakinaw-eng.htm

Recovery strategy for Cultus Lake sockeye salmon: http://www.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/science/habitat/cultus/sockeye-rouge-eng.htm

I would rather the press errors on the side of saying the stocks are endangered. What else would we want them to say.?  Thing arent as bad as they seem.

When a species is designated endangered under SARA (Species At Risk Act), all human activities that impact it are prohibited. If summer sockeye salmon are to be designated as endangered, harvesting by all three sectors that may by-catch them shall cease, which isn't necessarily a bad thing, but at this point the stock number is no where near that point. It's good to be cautious, but it's more practical to be realistic and make judgement based on data instead of skepticism.

Great to hear they are targeting springs and not socks. What a crock of crap. What difference does that make? The incidental catch must be minimal  then eh?
Somehow I dont think so. I have witnessed first hand the incidental catch with spring openings at this time of year and theirs a hell of a lot more than springs in the
nets and totes.

Again, I was pointing out the fact, which is these communal openings are for chinook salmon. Whether by-caught sockeye salmon are kept is a different discussion and will never end due to public skepticism. Whether I agree or disagree with the openings, or whether I suspect sockeye salmon are kept or not, is also another discussion. I prefer to discuss based on factual findings, instead of jeopardizing own credibility by posing judgement based on suspicion. I say that since I do not fish the non-tidal portion of the Fraser River enough to witness it. If you or others witness incidental catch and keep of sockeye salmon, report it.

scales

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #12 on: August 22, 2009, 11:20:41 PM »

"The current escapement estimate of the summer run sockeye salmon meets the conservation requirement and some First Nations' quota. While the significant decline from the pre-season estimate at 50% probability level to the current estimate is a concern, the stock is not endangered as the general public has made to believe by media's generalized reporting. The stock is too low for allocation in the sportfishing and commercial sectors, which is only available once the first two requirements (conservation and First Nation allocation) are met."
Rod, having said that do we expect an opening for Harrison River Sockeye to sport fishing?  Pacific Salmon Com. upgraded numbers to 200,000 fish from their forecast level of 160,000.  First Nations had their two days, 7 hrs each Sockeye opening on the Harrison this past Wed. & Thurs..  

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #13 on: August 22, 2009, 11:29:57 PM »

Rod, having said that do we expect an opening for Harrison River Sockeye to sport fishing?  Pacific Salmon Com. upgraded numbers to 200,000 fish from their forecast level of 160,000.  First Nations had their two days, 7 hrs each Sockeye opening on the Harrison this past Wed. & Thurs..  

Highly unlikely. If people are interested in having a sockeye recreational fishery, what people should dispute is the policy that is current in place, which must allow First Nations' catches reach their allocated quota before openings are given to the recreational sector. If the Harrison River is opened for recreational sockeye fishing, then one can be sure that the rest of the Lower Fraser First Nations would not be pleased as their allowable catches have been reduced this year.

Another item to note about the Harrison sockeye salmon is the recreational fishery is rarely opened unless the Fraser River is already opened, due to the amount of waters available for fishing. If the Harrison River sockeye is opened for anglers, one can only imagine how congested and troubling this stretch of river would become. Safety is also taken into consideration when deciding fishery openings.

mykisscrazy

« Reply #14 on: August 22, 2009, 11:49:39 PM »

For the last few years a good number of Harrison River sockeye have returned to the Harrison.
However, they have almost all come in far to early and are not mature enough to spawn. If they select the strategy and head to Harrison lake, go deep and wait things out till they are ready (Mid Oct to Nov) all is good. However if they select the strategy and wait in the river...they are subject to High temps and various Predators...and very few if any make it.
Unfortunately the last thing we need on the Harrison is a Rec Sockeye opening.