Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Pontoon vs. Float Tube  (Read 10930 times)

Nutterbug

Pontoon vs. Float Tube
« on: May 24, 2010, 11:22:03 AM »

What are the pros and cons to each of these options?

Verdi

Re: Pontoon vs. Float Tube
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2010, 11:38:10 AM »

float tube

PRo
cheaper
lighter
easy to pack
takes up less room
stable in heavy wind.( you body hanging in the water makes it less likely to blow around)

Cons
Can't anchor
feet in water all time can get cold.
limited range.

Pontoon

Pros
Oars
anchor system
can go down rivers, and whitewater.
Easy to mount rod holders,
Can carry gear.
Can mount electric motor
You sit higher in the water and better for casting.

Con
Heavy and take up a lot of space.
blow around in the wind more

These are my suggestions I have both.

Nutterbug

« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2010, 01:09:14 PM »

Thanks.

Is the cheaper advantage to the float tube negated by the fact that you need good waders and flippers?

k.c.

• A bad day fishing beats a good day working
    • west coast bass anglers
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2010, 01:23:15 PM »

Have you looked into a pram?

Nutterbug

« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2010, 01:46:49 PM »

Have you looked into a pram?

Has to be cheap and portable, ie. something inflatable.

Banny

« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2010, 02:05:00 PM »

You will need waders and fins with the pontoon as well so no that cost does not offset

HOOK

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2010, 02:29:42 PM »

you do NOT need flippers with a pontoon, i dont use any. I either row or use my motor to get around. I moved up from a float tube to the pontoon and now looking to get a flat bottom jon boat but will keep the pontoon of course.

someone said you cant anchor in a float tube  ::) this is not true, i used to anchor all the time in my float tube so i could chironie fish effectively. I would recommend using something that wont grab much weeds off the bottom though and that doesnt weigh more then about 8lbs. I used to use a 7-8lb custom made anchor.

the biggest con i have found with a pontoon is that you are more prone to being moved around by the wind. I solved this by adding another anchor in the front. I have fished in some pretty forceful winds and not budged.

If you go the pontoon route make sure you shop around before buying one, i say this because some dont come with everything you may want on it. I have an Outcast Fishcat 9-IR which comes with a motor mount already on it. you can get cheaper ones (Creek Company for example) that dont have motor mounts and the outer potoon material is not nearly as strong. Look around for one used to save money, i see them on Craigslist or classifieds on fishing sites all the time.
Check out our new blog

http://funonthefly.blogspot.ca/

doja

« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2010, 02:58:06 PM »

You will need waders and fins with the pontoon as well so no that cost does not offset

I never used waders with my pontoon boat. Just rubber boots or sandles.

Sea Nymph

« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2010, 05:16:51 PM »

Pontton all the way. It;s way more comfortable and if you get lazy you can troll with an electric motor.

Britguy

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2010, 08:55:39 PM »

I bought a pontoon this year and love it
but as mentioned bulky to store
if you can not store as is  you need time to break it down each time
it takes a while to set up once at the lake\river but well worth it forthe comfort
quicker to infalte than the tube and quicker to deflate, the extra time comes with putting the frame together
i still have my utube for smaller lakes and for ease if i only have a couple of hours to fish
As Hook says with the anchor you need two for the pontoon or you will swing back and forth
dont go cheap unless you get a good deal (craigslist-ebay etc) :)

one big pro for me i can get across the lake way quicker in the pontoon

skaha

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2010, 04:49:23 AM »

--have you looked into something like the Dave Scadden H3.. on sale now on his US web site not sure what the price at Canadian stores is.

--hybrid light weight frameless pontoons.
--If I had limited space or was interested in pack in lakes I'd be looking at the Scadden models or outcast pro V styles.
--Some have foam floors others have blow up bladder style floors.
--once your bum is out of the water in float tubes like the pro V.. a lot faster to travel some distance than regular float tube where more of your body is in the water.
--On float tube I use the "float n tote" rod holder with built in anchor clamp system... use a small round downrigger ball or small wedge weight.
--on pontoon I use oars to get where I'm going but like the fins as both hands free to fish
--I haven't found a craft that will do everything...so think about where and how you are going to do the most fishing and go for the most suitable.
--It doesn't get any better when you have multiple craft... still have to make some compromise no matter where you go. Often best deal is used where owner has modified and added things that would cost a bundle if you had to get them new.

--PS... I've never sold a boat just keep adding to the fleet.

marmot

• Old Timer
« Reply #11 on: May 25, 2010, 08:55:03 AM »

Cheap and portable = used float tube.  I say used because there are lots around, they are dead simple to repair if they have leaks, and are cheap like borsht.

Pontoon, if you want half decent quality anyways, will move you out of the "cheap" category...unless you buy used, in which case you'll still be spending more than a new float tube.

Pontoons are relatively portable but have nothing on float tubes.

Nutterbug

« Reply #12 on: May 25, 2010, 09:55:15 AM »

Are pontoons portable enough to fit into the trunk of a car with all your fishing gear?

marmot

• Old Timer
« Reply #13 on: May 25, 2010, 10:20:45 AM »

Are pontoons portable enough to fit into the trunk of a car with all your fishing gear?

what kind of car and what kind of pontoon are you considering?

If it's something like a honda civic, probably not.   The pontoons will collapse down but the frame might be a tight squeeze depending on how it's made.  The scadden outlaw series can collapse down incredibly small but is also $$$...and good luck finding a used one.

I fit two pontoons, taken apart, in the back of my xterra and one pontoon (intact) on the roof.  Still had roof for myself and 2 passengers (and all our gear) in the xterra. 

All depends on your vehicle though, and if you're going alone or with others.  Folding down rear seats would go a long ways if you're on your own. 

doja

« Reply #14 on: May 25, 2010, 03:55:42 PM »

In regards to the two posts above, I had a "cheap" candian tire classic pontoon boat that would fit in to my large hiking backpack and hiked into lakes.... In a back pack!!!!

I'd be a little surprised/chocked a pontoon boat would not fit into a car... But maybe the higher end ones don't break down???