Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: BNR holey worms  (Read 5025 times)

paul1971

BNR holey worms
« on: January 18, 2016, 10:02:11 AM »

I purchased a couple of packs of the 5" Holey worms for convenience,and just to try them out. I'm not that impressed to me the hole should be closer to the tail, and not mid body on the worm for a better presentation. Has anyone else found these worms to work well? I think I will just go back to the old fashioned way of doing it myself.

Fish or cut bait.

• Old Timer
Re: BNR holey worms
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2016, 10:12:28 AM »

Never used them (I just thread my own).
But add a couple beads above the hook before you slide on the worm.
A like a little bit dangling for the action.

Noahs Arc

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2016, 10:30:26 AM »

Like bait cutter said, nothing wrong with a little dangle. Or a lot of dangle. Steelhead smash worms when they do take them, my landing ratio is good with rubber worms.
For something different try putting the worm on backwards so the tail is pointed up and flops over. Dead drifted it looks more natural ( I think) it makes it look like its swimming downstream rather then fighting current.

paul1971

« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2016, 11:20:07 AM »

Good idea Noah I will give that a go!

joska

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2016, 11:55:39 AM »

i had some doubts at first and then the float disappeared rather quickly, they do work...
If you don't like the fish you're catching... change the bait!!

Every Day

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2016, 01:21:05 PM »

I always rig them head down, with a rubber egg stopper. I found I was definitely missing hits using them the traditional way, but the head down method I haven't missed one yet. I actually also pick up fish behind guys with the head down method, I think it gives more movement.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3WjfMsaWLhg&list=PLsEJXeToXhncYp3yV3rGD-omDChP__sL5

Check the vid out ^

paul1971

« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2016, 02:35:40 PM »

Sounds like head down is the way to go Thanks.

NothingToSnagAbout

« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2016, 02:37:48 PM »

Nice vid, Every Day. I noticed you use split shots over a pencil lead above the leader. You don't find the fish shy away from the split shots?

Every Day

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2016, 02:57:55 PM »

My logic is that it looks more natural using a few small split shots, rather than a single large chunk of pencil lead. To me, it looks like a couple small rocks suspended in the current (which isn't really uncommon in fast water if you pay attention while wading).

I also find when "bobber dogging" that the split shots snag up a bit less than a pencil lead.

In the end, it probably really doesn't matter to the fish at all. It's just whatever you're most confident in. Back in my first year fishing the Vedder, an old timer (been so long I can't remember his name - Fred I believe) took the time to show me his set ups. He had hit 3 fish behind me in a row behind snipers the one day when the river was beside the road before the flood, and I asked him for some help. I started hitting fish right away using the split shot and never looked back. He felt it gave a more natural drift, and I agree with him.

PS. for the worms (as said in the video), don't be afraid to go heavier on the leader. Fish smash them hard, and I really don't think they care about a stealthy presentation when eating a big pink thing.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2016, 04:23:52 PM by Every Day »

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2016, 06:45:31 AM »

My logic is that it looks more natural using a few small split shots, rather than a single large chunk of pencil lead. To me, it looks like a couple small rocks suspended in the current (which isn't really uncommon in fast water if you pay attention while wading).

I'll have to keep a look out for that! :)
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.