Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Sea Lions Eating Sturgeon  (Read 41803 times)

legend

• There's no nookie like Chinookie
Sea Lions Eating Sturgeon
« on: February 28, 2006, 07:55:30 AM »

Was on the fish bc site and cam across this graphic footage of sea lions feasting on massive sturgeon on the columbia river apparently this is a major issue on the river and this is not going to help the population . Very interesting if i knew how i would post the link for all you to check out it's very graphic footage of at least a 7 footer being torn in half by sea lions. Two years ago while fishing on the Fraser i watched a seal eating a two footer these seals are a total nuisance.

Eagleye

• Old Timer
Re: Sea Lions Eating Sturgeon
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2006, 10:05:23 AM »

Yeah I saw something on tv about that.  Before then I didn't know sturgeon had any predators on their turf.  Let the seal hunt begin!  ;D

Gooey

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2006, 12:10:20 PM »

I am 95% sure there is retention of sturgeon on the Columbia or its subsidiaries...can't really complain about a seal if we humnas are eating sturgeon too!

Fraser and its endangered sturgeon are a different story, I think we would want to protect them from seal predation IF it were a large problem.

Reservoir Dog

« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2006, 12:29:52 PM »

Yeah I saw something on tv about that.  Before then I didn't know sturgeon had any predators on their turf.  Let the seal hunt begin!  ;D

So you guys are saying that the Seals dont have a right to eat sturgeon?

This is just plain silly, you guys are making it seem that the Seals are doing something illegal, they are only doing what they have been doing for million of years.

It is mankind that has brought the sturgeon to the brink of extinction, not the seals. Mankind should be tried for the crimes against mothernature, not the other way around.

tnt

« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2006, 01:56:26 PM »

Bill, I think all Resevoir dog is saying is that this has been going on for years, before you or I ever started fishing stugeon. its part of life.the stugeon population has not declined due to seals, it has declined from us, you and me and everyone else in the valley. I have guided and tagged more sturgeon than most will ever catch so please dont think I am against you on this, but lets be real here, people get upset from a seal eating a sturgeon but we all walk past the litter on the river banks. We are on the brink of losing our sturgeon fishery but everyone worries about a seal. Make an effort to be at these meetings  and unite as fisherman instead of call each other names.

My Bad
« Last Edit: February 28, 2006, 02:07:25 PM by tnt »
Just because you have a pin rod doesnt mean you know how to fish it.....

BwiBwi

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2006, 04:15:06 PM »

It's true seals eats fish. But since fish population has significantly declined. Seal population density should be regulated. To restore seal population is ALOT easier compared to that of the fishery. Don't forget, seal's natural predator population has been significantly reduced too. Which means without regulating seal population the eco-cycle is not balanced.

legend

« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2006, 05:03:48 PM »

I think your all missing my point my reference to the seal eating the sturgeon on the Fraser was just an observation while out fishing . If you log on the fish bc site and view this news clip from the states you will all see this is a concern  for the well being of the columbia stocks theses were not seals but sea lion ripping 7 footers in half on a daily basis  go check it out . Also tnt i was wondering about these meetings you are referring to as I'm an avid sturgeon angler and would be interested in info on this topic .
« Last Edit: February 28, 2006, 05:06:57 PM by legend »

TrophyHunter

• Old Timer
  • V.P. Club S.C. & P. & S.C. & F. Team Hop Sing
    • BB Pics
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2006, 05:05:24 PM »

http://www.katu.com/outdoor/index.html

there is the link for those interested.. pretty amazing footage

...oooO..............
...(....).....Oooo...
....\..(.......(...)....
.....\_).......)../.....
...............(_/......
... RICK WAS ......
....... HERE..........

XG Flosses with his Spey !!

legend

« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2006, 05:07:58 PM »

Thanks Rick not computer literate.

Gooey

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2006, 05:44:11 PM »

Looks like these sea lions are learning that the sturgeon are an easy snack and at the same time populations are exploding.

RD, watch that clip and then tell me a cull isnt needed fopr those nuisance anaimals. 

huntwriter

• Othmar Vohringer Outdoors
« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2006, 06:36:00 PM »

Bill, I think all Resevoir dog is saying is that this has been going on for years, before you or I ever started fishing stugeon. its part of life.the stugeon population has not declined due to seals, it has declined from us, you and me and everyone else in the valley. I have guided and tagged more sturgeon than most will ever catch so please dont think I am against you on this, but lets be real here, people get upset from a seal eating a sturgeon but we all walk past the litter on the river banks. We are on the brink of losing our sturgeon fishery but everyone worries about a seal. Make an effort to be at these meetings  and unite as fisherman instead of call each other names.

My Bad

Very well said, I applaud you.
Othmar Vohringer - Smart Hunting Strategies (SHS)
http://www.othmarvohringer.com/

huntwriter

• Othmar Vohringer Outdoors
« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2006, 06:37:05 PM »

r/d if you have ever fished for these baby's maybe you feel the same way...  there is nothing like hooking into a big behemoth and playing it for a couple of hours unhooking it and watch it swim away... this is a fishing web site not a tree huggers..  and pretty obvious that most of the anglers have lost a fish or two to these water dogs.. i personally have lost more fish too seals then i care too remember.. it is also a drag when this happens if the gear your using is not capable of handling a few hundreds pounds of blubber. i have broken rods and lost every inch of line from this happening to me... so YES let the culling begin

Huh, are you for real?
Othmar Vohringer - Smart Hunting Strategies (SHS)
http://www.othmarvohringer.com/

the carp

« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2006, 07:03:47 PM »

that footage is unreal, but it doesn't even scratch the surface of the damage done by SEA LIONS the puntledge river for one has had its steelie population devastated by these creatures where i guide up north part of my enjoyment is watching orcas do the same thing to sea lions that they where doing to the sturgeon, the sad part is an awful lot of these buggers came from the south, partly because of overpopulation, culling these animals is necessary, maybe i can serve them at woodys, thanks for the info guys, another job well done on this site.

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #13 on: February 28, 2006, 07:26:26 PM »

maybe i can serve them at woodys,

Let's not  ;D

Reservoir Dog

« Reply #14 on: February 28, 2006, 09:51:30 PM »

r/d if you have ever fished for these baby's maybe you feel the same way...  there is nothing like hooking into a big behemoth and playing it for a couple of hours unhooking it and watch it swim away... this is a fishing web site not a tree huggers..  and pretty obvious that most of the anglers have lost a fish or two to these water dogs.. i personally have lost more fish too seals then i care too remember.. it is also a drag when this happens if the gear your using is not capable of handling a few hundreds pounds of blubber. i have broken rods and lost every inch of line from this happening to me... so YES let the culling begin

Sure Bill. I love the fantasy world you live in. Lets Elminate another Species, and completly destroy the Ecosystem. Just like the rest of Mankind. As for your gear, it's replaceable, extinction is forever. The Seals dont hunt and kill just because they can, they eat everything that they kill. It is only mankind that hunts and kills just because.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2006, 09:55:05 PM by Rodney »