Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Tunkwa Lake Setup...  (Read 7884 times)

Damien

• Old Timer
Re: Tunkwa Lake Setup...
« Reply #15 on: June 16, 2016, 06:25:53 PM »

If you have full access to a boat there is no point.  But if that is limited then I guess you could wade out a bit from the provincial camping area.  Even better, wade out around the day use launch.  Some fishy water around that little point.

PM if you want some other tidbits. I posted a few pics in the Tunkwa report from BB.

halcyonguitars

• Old Timer
« Reply #16 on: June 16, 2016, 08:23:06 PM »

We are contemplating renting a boat or canoe there, but no firm decision yet. We'll see what the money is like...

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #17 on: June 16, 2016, 11:28:16 PM »

No waders needed, unless you want to keep warm on a windy rainy day. The shoreline along Tunkwa Lake Resort is fishable. You have direct access to water up to 15ft within casting range, and catching fish is very possible throughout the day. You can also stand on the floating dock and cast out. We caught plenty of them by casting and retrieving a 1/16oz Croc in April and May in front of the cabins.

At the Provincial campground, there is a newly installed dock by GoFishBC which you can fish from too.

The shoreline along the day use area is also good.

halcyonguitars

• Old Timer
« Reply #18 on: June 17, 2016, 02:40:51 AM »

Thanks everyone!

halcyonguitars

• Old Timer
« Reply #19 on: June 19, 2016, 10:52:30 PM »

Well, that was a blast!

Flyfished near our campsite Friday night but only caught a few teeny tiny baitfish, like sardine sized things that swam away again.

Saturday, slept in, then went to the resort and rented a boat. I got some worms for the GF to fish with and set her up. Hand her the rod, she casts, I go to put the flyrod together and before I got the rod wraps off, her bobber was gone and she pulled in a lunker just under 3lb. It was the biggest rainbow I'd ever seen. So I put the flyrod down and switched to worms as well, and in under five minutes, I caught a big rainbow too, 19.5", pretty fun! We caught a couple smaller ones too, then looked at the amount of fish we had and called it a day in around 2 hrs...

It's nice to actually catch something from time to time!

Damien

• Old Timer
« Reply #20 on: June 20, 2016, 03:15:22 PM »

;)

obie1fish

« Reply #21 on: June 20, 2016, 09:00:49 PM »

How did your gear work for you?

halcyonguitars

• Old Timer
« Reply #22 on: June 21, 2016, 12:11:47 AM »

Well, technically, quite well. The overkill 8-14 Salmon rods made child's play of the 1-3 lb fishies.i wold go,agaiaionlll

Damien

• Old Timer
« Reply #23 on: June 21, 2016, 01:07:36 AM »

No love for my PM tip?

Glad you got into some.  It can be a TOUGH lake at times. 

clarki

• Old Timer
« Reply #24 on: June 21, 2016, 09:08:07 AM »

Well, that was a blast!

Flyfished near our campsite Friday night but only caught a few teeny tiny baitfish, like sardine sized things that swam away again.

Saturday, slept in, then went to the resort and rented a boat. I got some worms for the GF to fish with and set her up. Hand her the rod, she casts, I go to put the flyrod together and before I got the rod wraps off, her bobber was gone and she pulled in a lunker just under 3lb. It was the biggest rainbow I'd ever seen. So I put the flyrod down and switched to worms as well, and in under five minutes, I caught a big rainbow too, 19.5", pretty fun! We caught a couple smaller ones too, then looked at the amount of fish we had and called it a day in around 2 hrs...

It's nice to actually catch something from time to time!

Two coho in one afternoon. A 19.5' trout. Slow down and leave some fish for the rest of us! :)

Seriously, nice to see you getting into fish. You've put in a lot of effort, asked a lot of questions, and had a lot of fishless outings to get there. Congrats.       

halcyonguitars

• Old Timer
« Reply #25 on: June 21, 2016, 11:50:11 AM »

Damien,

Definitely! I thought that was taken for granted with the bobber and worm mention:)

Clarki,

I have definitely been fishing at long odds just for practice and fun. It is nice to be able to say 'yes' upon returning home instead of 'it was still fun...'.

And for the coho, it's was certainly illuminating to see the rain/River level/high tide aspects work just like a textbook scenario.

Thanks everyone for all the tips!