Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: best lines for Centerpins??  (Read 15013 times)

RiverBum101

• Leave no spawners
best lines for Centerpins??
« on: December 14, 2010, 10:42:43 PM »

I'm asking for a Islander Searun CP reel for Xmas.I use maxima UG for my level wind and i was wondering if u go straight mono on the CP like a level wind  or do u splice on some braided line for backing or something Ive been hearing. if some one could clear this up for me it would be greatly appreciated thanks. ;D

fly fisher

• i fish roe roe and more roe
Re: best lines for Centerpins??
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2010, 10:45:01 PM »

take it into freds they will hook you up. only place i will get line put on my pins i would recomend maxima camelion
« Last Edit: December 14, 2010, 10:54:06 PM by fly fisher »
There's a fine line between fishing and standing on the shore like an idiot

Steely

• Old Timer
  • Lovin' the Chrome
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2010, 07:22:10 AM »

I just use fly line backing and then maxima ultragreen usually 15 or 12 pound
Get Off Your Butt And Start Fishin'

joska

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2010, 08:28:41 AM »

great topic i was searching the same thing... new islander steelheader on the way so im thinking the same thing bigg guy... i hear backing is a good idea.. not too sure tho... im sure the pros can explain more on the situation...
If you don't like the fish you're catching... change the bait!!

skaha

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2010, 09:37:48 AM »

--I'm not a pin guy... but will be soon.
--I'm thinking "lines"as in the subject not one line so think its all true.

--To give informed advise I presume you need to know type of water, fish, presentation,rod characteristics and reel model in order to give informed line advise.

--There area lots of threads on what is your favourite brand of line but from what I can gather,  line for Pins is as important as fly line to fly fishing... thus saying you use Cortland fly line.. wouldn't give me any idea of what to use and when to use it weight line, sink rate, sink tip etc.
--Of course I'll be using platypus so what I need to know is the characteristics of the line used in different situations so I can match the line.

--I guess as a beginner it would be more important to start with a line that is forgiving when learning to cast and probably high-vis so I can see what I'm doing?
--I'm thinking an IM8 Raven 14ft with med-size matrix SST-2 reel

« Last Edit: December 15, 2010, 09:50:04 AM by skaha »

vancook

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2010, 10:30:53 AM »

yes you want backing on your pin, it cushions the tension your mono puts on your reel. in some reels straight mono and squeeze tight enough to crack the spool. This is what I've been told.
I used to fish an old Hardy Super Silex and now have an Islander...kind of miss the casting of a bushing reel...but maybe I'm just not used to how easily the bearings allow that reel to spin.
I used Maxima Ultra green but am now trying out Berkley Trilene XL on the suggestion of my local tackle shop guy. more abbrassion resistant and less stretch. I do like less stretch as you know maxima has lots of it.

chromer

« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2010, 11:25:45 AM »

Backing is required on some reels so that the spool gets cushioned as mentioned in an earlier post. Some reel manufacturers state that it is not required on their reels. The "reel" ;D reason to use backing in my opinion is to cushion the spool and take up some of the capacity. You would need about 400yds. of #15 to fill up an Islander IS. You really only need about 150-180yds and the rest a #20 dacron backing in the colour of your choice to compliment your rod and reel of course. This enables you to change your main line frequently without spending allot of money.

Some guys do use braided line on their pins and nail not some fluorocarbon to the business end. Myself, I prefer #15 Maxima ultra green. Some co-polymer lines are also excellent but I'm not a fan of the Berkley lines.

Brian

« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2010, 12:28:15 PM »

My Islander has 20# backing, plus 20# chameleon line.  The slightly heavier line is stiffer and easy to manage for a novice pin fisher.  After the somewhat steep learning curve, feel free to spool on a lighter line.

Easywater

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2010, 03:39:31 PM »

You definately need some backing on the reel to offset the compression of the mono.

I use 20lb Berkley Big Game when fishing for chum/springs & 12 for coho/steelhead.

As mentioned, heavier line is easier to cast.

NiceFish

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2010, 05:06:44 PM »

im ruining 15lb chameleon and 20lb backing, i doubt the line would "crack" my reel but i put the backing on as an indicator that i'm going to have to start a quick run after my fish

DionJL

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: December 15, 2010, 05:15:29 PM »

now trying out Berkley Trilene XL on the suggestion of my local tackle shop guy. more abbrassion resistant and less stretch.

For the record XL is Extra Limp, XT is extra tough. XL is good for spinning reels, XT is much stiffer line which can be nice for Centrepinning.

Sterling C

• Old Timer
« Reply #11 on: December 15, 2010, 05:21:21 PM »

Anything but pink line. I've seen two fellows on the river using it and both complained about cast-ability and buoyancy issues.

I use pink Maxima on my centerpin and I love it. By far the stiffest line I have ever used. No complaints here.
Actions speak louder than words.

Randofish

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #12 on: December 15, 2010, 06:25:59 PM »

Being a bigger spool than a baitcaster or spinning reel.Memory is not as bad unless your running junk.
P- line and Stren have some nice lines and worth looking into.
Used both for years now and no problems for 12-17lb range.
Definately run some backing and add your mainline and your good to go.
The Fishin Musician

work2fish

« Reply #13 on: December 15, 2010, 06:35:50 PM »

I like to use standard fly line backing, 20 or 30lb, with about 75-100 yards of maxima 20lb ultragreen connected by nail knot. Backing is better for the reel as most have posted, it's what Islander recommends, and it also saves you on line as there's no point wasting a whole spool of ultragreen on it, especially if you like fresh line on your reel.  

If you haven't fished a CP before you're probably going to get a lot of line twist, and will be wanting to change the line more often, so you might as well save some there.  I use leaders in the 8-15lb range depending on conditions, so if i do get hung up it will break before the 20lb mainline does.  Combined with short floating, I rarely lose floats, and replace them 90% of the time from busting them on a missed hookset or on rocks while casting.

The new searun is smaller than the IS so I'm not sure how much backing you'll need on it, but basically you'll want to make sure there's not so much line and backing on the reel that it ends up stopping the reel by bunching against the bottom of the reel seat.  If you're not paying attention when reeling in a lot of line, it's possible to stack the line on top of itself all on one side of the reel until you can't reel anymore. It's even easier to do if you overspool, and not something you'll want to deal with when fighting a steelie. ;)  

n8

« Reply #14 on: December 16, 2010, 12:54:35 AM »

I say use whatever mono you feel like.. doesn't make too much difference. but listen to everyone here when they say put backing on the reel... I've seen the spools of some reels explode into 4 pieces because there wasn't any backing. 20lb dacron should suffice, as others have said