Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Abu Garcia 6600 C4 birdnest  (Read 11680 times)

FishOn36

Re: Abu Garcia 6600 C4 birdnest
« Reply #15 on: September 26, 2010, 03:00:11 AM »

1 hour of untangling is better than cutting all the line off like mine.
 :-\

The best advice I can give you (I'm noob as well, this is my second year salmon fishing the Vedder) is to practice thumbing the spool. Keep your casting motion smooth and don't whip it out there ( just yet  ;)), I like to chomp down on the spool with my thumb right before my gear hits the water, that way the spool wont over-run. Always try and keep an eye on your spool from time to time, just to make sure your line is wound up tightly on there, if there's a bit that isn't things can get ugly after just a few casts...good luck!
« Last Edit: September 26, 2010, 03:02:12 AM by FishOn36 »

DanL

• Old Timer
« Reply #16 on: September 26, 2010, 10:31:24 AM »

I always always have my thumb at least lightly on the spool during casts. If it's starts to overrun a little bit, you'll feel it right away and can apply more pressure before it gets out of control. It's faster to bail on a cast and quickly reel in than have to deal with even a small backlash.

Adjusting the freespool tension definitely helps too, but there's no need to have it too tight.

shakespug

« Reply #17 on: September 26, 2010, 11:41:07 PM »

I have used "the force" today at stave and no birdnest for 2 hours  ;D

andychan

troutbreath

• Old Timer
  • I does Christy
another SLICE of dirty fish perhaps?

burnaby

« Reply #20 on: September 27, 2010, 01:52:37 PM »

Watching newbies landing socks is closely followed by the shock look of birds nest, very entertaining.   ;)

Mono is fairly easy to unnest, just like sex, back and forth until it comes out  8).Try thin braided line <50#, and if it dug in and snaps inside the spool start cutting.

Problem starts with most don't know how to cast (also very entertaining to watch the baseball style windup for a short cast). Surprising most folks don't know to tension the rod before casting. No different than a smash with a birdie or volleyball. Tension/compression is required, then a smooth snap will cascade that projectile way out there with minimal effort with full control of the spool.

shakespug

« Reply #21 on: September 27, 2010, 02:26:20 PM »

You are saying braided lines are better for the baitcaster?  ???

joska

• Old Timer
« Reply #22 on: September 27, 2010, 02:30:56 PM »

go to a school field and practice. you may get some funny looks but when you are on the water you want to fish... take it easy and tight lines
If you don't like the fish you're catching... change the bait!!

burnaby

« Reply #23 on: September 27, 2010, 02:34:58 PM »

Saying Bird's nest are way worst with braided line plus it is easy to wrap the tip with braided.

Go mono with baitcaster. I use about 30' of mono, then braided backing on my TE201.
You are saying braided lines are better for the baitcaster?  ???

DanTfisherman

« Reply #24 on: September 27, 2010, 07:59:30 PM »

Ambassadeurs are tricky reels to cast with some satisfaction.

You use a light weight then switch to a heavier weight.  First cast, new weight, and if you are not careful, you overspool on the cast and backlash.
You use a heavy weight and switch to a lighter one.  First cast, you throw harder and "force it"  Line does not go where you want it to and you have a backlash.
If you put the anti-backlash on too much, you get no distance.  To get the distance you want, you loosen it right off and cast easily, but then, have to worry about a backlash.
I have found numerous things to cause backlashes and usually get at least one a year.

Some tips:

-Use Mono if you get a lot.  Usually heavier mono as well.  It is easier to get it out.
-Once you see you have a backlash, never try to pull the line and pull the backlash out.  You just cinch up the knots tighter.
-Avoid using a scissors to work the line/knots out.  If you use a long darning hook for rubber worms and keep it with you, use that to slowly pick the line.  If you have no needle, look at using a fish hook.
-Always roll the backlash backwards first, rather than rolling it ahead.  Once it rolls backwards and stops, begin to wiggle the line and start to work it free.  once done, pull the line ahead slowly and not too tightly.  Once you hit the second knot in the backlash, roll it backwards once again and start the process over again.
-Sometimes, if worse comes to worse and you are desperate, cut the line at the swivel, pull the float off, and force the line back through the guide.  Once this is done, force the freed line back through the knots in the backlash.

Hope this helps out,

Dano

clarki

• Old Timer
« Reply #25 on: September 27, 2010, 09:34:40 PM »

Sometimes, if worse comes to worse and you are desperate, cut the line at the swivel, pull the float off, and force the line back through the guide.  Once this is done, force the freed line back through the knots in the backlash.

Brilliant suggestion. I had the mother of all birdsnests this summer when on a mighty cast, the hook snagged up on my rod, and the reel mushroomed. After sitting on my duff for too long trying to pick it out, I resorted to the "cut it out" technique of untangling.

Your suggestion would have worked much better.