Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Abu Garcia 6600 C4 birdnest  (Read 11679 times)

shakespug

Abu Garcia 6600 C4 birdnest
« on: September 25, 2010, 12:05:03 PM »

How does one fix bird's nest?

I'm brand-new to the whole bait casting method and I'm spooled with 15 lb test monofilament.

alwaysfishn

• Old Timer
Re: Abu Garcia 6600 C4 birdnest
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2010, 01:48:50 PM »

One knot at time.......    ;D
Disclosure:  This post has not been approved by the feedlot boys, therefore will likely be found to contain errors and statements that are out of context. :-[

one more cast

« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2010, 01:51:49 PM »

One knot at time.......    ;D
and patience or you'll just end up cutting it.

Find where a knot is and give it a back and forth pulling motion, like flossing ( teeth that is ;D)

oddjob

• woof woof
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2010, 02:01:06 PM »

That is when a spare reel comes in hand , take off the one you are using and use the spare . Start untangling at home when you have spare time . Good luck

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2010, 02:11:52 PM »

Go to your closest sewing store and buy yourself the smallest crochet needle. It has a small hook at the end. It's ideal for picking out the birdnest.

whereismyfloat

« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2010, 03:08:40 PM »

More importantly,

A couple of tips to prevent it from happening again ... and again ... and again ...

Firstly, did you set your spool tension correctly? I noticed the comment that you're brand new to a bait-casting reel. One common mistake for folks new to bait casters is not setting the spool tension correctly. If it is set too loose then once your weight hits the water after a cast the spool will continue to turn and spew out line causing the tangle. To set the tension correctly start by tightening down the spool tension knob as tight as you can. (Silver knob on the inside of the star-shaped tension knob). Next, set up the rod with your weight, lure etc ... Then lift your rod tip up high so your tackle is dangling below. Finally, back off the tension spool until you notice that your line begins to fall to the ground. It should fall at a slow controlled speed.

Now you've got your spool tension set correctly. Note; it is good practice to re-adjust this every time you're changing your terminal tackle as different set ups have different weights.

Secondly, your thumb should be used to assist in controlling the spool speed. When you cast, try applying thumb pressure directly to the spool in the moments before your weight hits the water. This will ensure that you won't free spool the reel when no more line is required for your cast.

Do those two things and you'll be spending less time cutting and re-spooling! A couple of times of out and you'll have it all figured out.

Enjoy!

WIMF
« Last Edit: September 25, 2010, 03:12:00 PM by whereismyfloat »

shakespug

« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2010, 03:25:37 PM »

Thanks for all the replies!  :D

I guess I'll have to practice more. Note to self - adjust tensioner.

BigFisher

• Old Timer
  • Bite My Hook
« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2010, 04:17:33 PM »

I just laugh when I see guys sitting on the bank tying up, fixing rats nest or untangling.
The best way to catch fish, is to have your line in the water. Minimize the time that you dont have your line in the water, be prepared before hand and have a game plan before you arrive (where to fish).
Carry an extra reel, pretie some leader and good idea of where to fish, so you spend less time walking and more time covering good water.

Also sitting at home on the computer would be bad advice.
The Bigger The Better!

cohojoe

« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2010, 05:00:29 PM »

I know ;  every good fisher has a back up.    So there you are at the horniest looking water ever and  kazaam your next longest cast hits a branch or something and the spool continues to spin.     Whip out the spare reel and you are back in business.    Because you never know ;  the 30 minutes you spend untangling the spool could be the time when the fishes are biting.     Now I have two level winds ,  and a big old spinning reel with me when salmon fishing.   

Matt

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2010, 06:03:39 PM »

Do you guys carry all this extra crap in a wheelbarrow? 

Just drag the tip of your thumb on the spinning spool the whole cast until you're comfortable taking your thumb off completely.  Set the tension higher too, and use heavier weights until you're more comfortable casting light weights/low tension.

clarki

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2010, 07:11:23 PM »

I just laugh when I see guys sitting on the bank tying up, fixing rats nest or untangling.

You just laugh, do you? Wow, I hope that some day I evolve as an angler to your stratospheric status.  ::)

Eveyone starts somewhere. God forbid that you ever were an inexperienced angler.

BigFisher

• Old Timer
  • Bite My Hook
« Reply #11 on: September 25, 2010, 08:11:40 PM »

As much as I like to help an inexperienced angler out, Showing them how to pick a rats nest out is something every new angler should learn themselves. ;)

All I was trying to get at was prepare on your down time, so when you get to the river you can make everylast minute count.
The Bigger The Better!

clarki

• Old Timer
« Reply #12 on: September 25, 2010, 08:55:03 PM »

All I was trying to get at was prepare on your down time, so when you get to the river you can make everylast minute count.

Weeell if you put it that way, then that is something I can agree with you on.

NiceFish

• Old Timer
« Reply #13 on: September 25, 2010, 09:28:00 PM »

He who makes fun of the angler who bird nests their reel shall endure a birds nest of their own upon their very next cast

shakespug

« Reply #14 on: September 26, 2010, 02:44:26 AM »

get to work ,  went  fishing  with my buddy and he had a bad one that took a 1 hr to undo   :o

1 hour of untangling is better than cutting all the line off like mine.
 :-\