Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: ghost shrimp pump  (Read 18337 times)

vancook

• Old Timer
ghost shrimp pump
« on: December 20, 2009, 05:23:01 PM »

Ok so I was hoping to make a pump with some directions I found online but I found the staff at home depot to be completely useless and was not able to purchase parts for construction.
So my question is has anyone here made one and where did you go for your parts? plumbing supply shop? etc.
Or have any of you bought them at a store?
any help would be appreciated

doja

Re: ghost shrimp pump
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2009, 05:47:03 PM »

I've made 1 out of pvc pipe before. Pretty easy however you may want to find some metal tube instead, my pvc was fire sprinkler pipe I got for free but being thicker doesn't penetrate the ground super easy but worked fine, a bit heavy but that's not much issue. I would imagine a thinner pvc would work as long as it's strong enough to stick in the ground.

You will need pipe, a I think around 2" with a T piece for a lower handle, and then a smaller pipe to go on the inside with a L for the pump handle, a 2" cap to hold the smaller pipe from moving around much and most important a pipe blocker thingy for 2" pipe

The pipe blocker I got from some wholesale pluming store and the pipe,well free.

I'd try to see if the od of metal pipe matches the id of plastic fittings unless you can find metal T's and L's.

The online instructions should guide you the rest of the way but if not just ask.

And it may be cheaper and easier to just buy 1 unless like me every thing was free, but I don't know what new cost.

vancook

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2009, 06:00:19 PM »

thanks,
my biggest problem at rona/home depot was they wouldnt sell any short cuts of pipe. 20 only very large lengths and they lacked the test plug to buy. They pvc they had was very thick as well, which Im told makes it difficult. Do you know anywhere they sell pumps?

Drunker

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2009, 06:14:16 PM »

If you go to a scrap metal place and see if they have some.  i got some material from them before and it was pretty cheap.  If you try metal shops (PNJ Metals) they have lots of metal material there and they will cut the length you need.  And i would use aluminum over steel, oxidation/weight.  Hope that helps.

Drunker

scouterjames

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2009, 07:34:50 PM »

what area are you in?  I can likely steer you to a plumbing store that would be helpful....
:-\ Tell me, and I might forget;
  :) Show me, and I might remember;
    ;D INVOLVE ME, and I'll learn.

Clarki Hunter

« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2009, 07:56:08 PM »

I would try a muffler shop as well.  Thin wall anti-rust metals would be perfect for that.  I've never made one but seen guys on the beach suckin em up. 

vancook

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2009, 10:29:48 PM »

what area are you in?  I can likely steer you to a plumbing store that would be helpful....
I live in south vancouver close to the burnaby border and work downtown

Easywater

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2009, 10:37:08 PM »

Just made myself one last weekend - about $45 in parts.

I also checked at Home Depot and they didn't have many of the parts necessary.
I never could find a 'test plug' like shown on the websites.
I ended up with a fully PVC unit that was threaded on the end and screwed into the plunger.

I called around and Berry's has a stainless one for $100.
Another bait shop I called (Maple Ridge?) said $115 for stainless.

Have been hoping to try it out but the tides have been wrong all week.
Tomorrow looks promising.

Check YouTube for videos on how to operate the pump.
They are frequently called "Slurp guns".

Here's the plug that I used.

Note that the adjustment is inside the larger pipe.
I left the cap on the top of the larger tube unglued so that I could remove it for adjustments.

« Last Edit: December 20, 2009, 10:59:51 PM by Easywater »

vancook

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2009, 10:40:55 PM »

yeah i've watched the videos and bookmarked the parts list and directions, unfortunately when i went to buy the parts I couldn't find them...I wasn't going to buy bits and pieces here and there.
I'm guessing I'll need to find a plumbing store

Chromie

« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2009, 08:06:28 AM »

I made mine out of scrap copper works great

fishfinder

« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2009, 11:02:27 AM »

Go buy one at Berry's for $100. It sounds expensive, but it will last a long time. I paid $90 for mine 15 years ago and it's still going strong.
With the Alvey pump I can get my 50 shrimps in about 10 minutes, which is a bonus in frigid weather. $90 for 15 years of use averages out to $6 a year. It comes ready to use. You don't have to waste any time looking for parts to build one that may or may not work (or last). The last thing you want to do is to drive out to Boundary bay or white Rock to find out your pump doesn't work.

Sterling C

• Old Timer
« Reply #11 on: December 21, 2009, 04:25:12 PM »

I bought mine down in the states for $25. I was going to make my own but for the price I figured why bother.
Actions speak louder than words.

vancook

• Old Timer
« Reply #12 on: December 21, 2009, 04:30:34 PM »

I bought mine down in the states for $25. I was going to make my own but for the price I figured why bother.
what store in the states did you find one? I'm probably going to bellingham next monday for the day

scouterjames

• Old Timer
« Reply #13 on: December 21, 2009, 04:43:29 PM »

for some reason I havent' been able to post - not ignoring you honest!

For the plumbing stuff just go to or call EMCO - wholesaler but will sell over the counter retail and will have it all in stock www.emcobc.ca I believe is the website.  They won't sell cut pipe tho - you can go to irly bird or timbermarts or standard building supplies used to sell plumbing I haven't been there in years.....

BUT - for what it's gonna cost AND the time AND the useablility of home made vs storebought and for the cheap price of the US one, I'd go storebought without a doubt.
:-\ Tell me, and I might forget;
  :) Show me, and I might remember;
    ;D INVOLVE ME, and I'll learn.

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #14 on: December 21, 2009, 07:24:47 PM »

I picked up a clam gun from Army and Navy a few years back. I've got one of those Alvey pumps which I don't use anymore. The clam gun is bigger, with no moving parts and works like a charm.