Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Do longer leaders catch more fish??  (Read 4908 times)

ynot

• Old Timer
Re: Do longer leaders catch more fish??
« Reply #15 on: July 03, 2009, 08:45:39 PM »

eagle eye you are correct about why it was closed off,but at that time you could fish 24 hrs. so people were there all night partying and fishing. now fishing is closed at night the problem has gone. i hear that guys are going there at 3am to get good spots near the marker,but when the river drops in wont be the only place for springs.
i went from 10 ft to 15 and got more fish. if the sockeye run is very big then 10ft will be fine.

Verdi

« Reply #16 on: July 03, 2009, 10:00:36 PM »

one thing if you do have to chase the fish in a boat a long leader sucks, you reel to you weight and then it is run around the boat time, trying to take the slack out of the line..

Eagleye

• Old Timer
« Reply #17 on: July 04, 2009, 12:14:15 AM »

i hear that guys are going there at 3am to get good spots near the marker,

now they will have to get there at 2 am... :o  Whenever someone asks me what time I arrived at a fishing hole I never give an exact time I just say early or before you.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2009, 12:18:16 AM by Eagleye »

Gotcha

« Reply #18 on: July 04, 2009, 12:41:11 AM »

When your using a 20 plus feet of leader, you'll have to set the hook harder if you have a shorter rod or you'll lose the fish :o.

So using a 10 to 12 foot leader means setting the hook will be a lot easier and catching more.

Gotcha

lapa

« Reply #19 on: July 04, 2009, 08:25:32 AM »

When your using a 20 plus feet of leader, you'll have to set the hook harder if you have a shorter rod or you'll lose the fish :o.

So using a 10 to 12 foot leader means setting the hook will be a lot easier and catching more.

Gotcha

Saw one guy with 7' rod and 25'+ leader landing fish. I don't now how he cast.

odesseus

« Reply #20 on: July 04, 2009, 12:27:34 PM »

Some observations from this years season: I found hook size to be more important this year than leader length; I use a 6/0 hook with a good size corkie and a leader approximately 12-15 feet long. I figure the bigger hook gives be a better chance of holding onto a fish as there is more steel in his mouth; I found this to be very true as I have had a few scrappy springs on this year and haven't lost one yet (knock on wood). I have also found that all of my hookups this year have been between 1 and 3 oclock in my drift; not at the end. I have also witnessed that using the lightest weight possible while still having a decent bounce has fished better; using a 5 ounce betty where not warranted has not fished well for me at all...maybe too slow and not getting the drift? Some feedback from others would be welcome on these points.

ion

« Reply #21 on: July 04, 2009, 05:20:57 PM »

Some folks may consider your opinions BB inspiring...
My opininion is that fishing for salmon should be defined as catching fis with a rod + line ended in a lure (spoon, jig, fly, minnow,
roe, etc) with one hook.  No extra floats, weights, or anything else. This is the only way to end BB.

BNF861

• Old Timer
« Reply #22 on: July 04, 2009, 05:39:05 PM »

My opininion is that fishing for salmon should be defined as catching fis with a rod + line ended in a lure (spoon, jig, fly, minnow,
roe, etc) with one hook.  No extra floats, weights, or anything else. This is the only way to end BB.

I don't totally understand what you are saying. So people should flyfish or cast and retrieve lures only? No floats or weights allowed. What about bar fishing, or sturgoen fishing, how are you going to to that without weight? Whats wrong with float fishing (with a short leader) rivers like the vedder, etc?  How do you suggest you fish roe on a river with no weight or float lol
« Last Edit: July 04, 2009, 05:41:03 PM by BNF861 »

BwiBwi

• Old Timer
« Reply #23 on: July 04, 2009, 05:51:20 PM »

Some folks may consider your opinions BB inspiring...

May be you should go to the extend say no fishing at all.

ion

« Reply #24 on: July 04, 2009, 07:11:20 PM »

only for salmon fishing!
and, of course, to make it more challenging and less proficient!

rides bike to work

« Reply #25 on: July 05, 2009, 08:44:43 PM »

One of the reasons they closed this section is due to the large numbers of snagged fish being kept.Its the same situation with the limits hole on the vedder,people report the poachers and the easiest way to deal with the problem is shut the area like you say afew bad seeds wreck it for everyone.

stick with a 10 to 12 foot leader that way you spend more time fishing less time messing with your gear and add a couple of red sinking beads from any craft store works wonders for me.