Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: coho/chinooks chehalis canyon  (Read 15368 times)

vlad777

coho/chinooks chehalis canyon
« on: October 26, 2008, 08:55:44 PM »

Hello everyone I am new to this forum, I have been fishing for salmon for over 8-9 years now during which I mostly enjoyed success. Unfortunately this year is my worst year to date. I have fished the chilliwack starting in about late september and every weekend on untill about october 20th or so. I was mostly around the railroad bridge area, All that time I saw no Spring, I caught only 2 cohos and endless chum. I was just wondering did I miss the main runs of spring / cohos or what? because every time during the last seasons I land about 2-5 chinooks and the odd coho every time, but this season nothing :( .

Well anyways enough of the wining :) , My situation is this. I heard that the chehalis canyon was a good spot to fish so I headed up there with my dad today. under the bridge and upwards about 500 meters was all full of chum, so I decided to hike up stream. I hiked for about 20 minutes and walked down the first path that led down to the river. As i got down there were about 7-8 fishermen in the area with 2 having 1 coho each and another guy with a fairly fresh chinook. This was my very first time out at the canyon and I really enjoyed the scenery and clear water, unfortunately I had to time to fish because I had to get going , so I didn't even cast my rod in once.

My question is are there any more places to fish in the canyon if I keep hiking further upstream, and is there a difference in the quality of fishing comparing if you go higher upstream? I am really eager to hook into my first chinook this season and also get a few coho so is now a good time to fish the canyon at all?

I am planning on headind fishing with my dad in 2 days and as well this friday or saturday if you have any information on good rivers/spots to fish for chinnoks/cohos would be VERY much appreciated as I am a depressed fisherman right now :(  as I have not caught much of anything this season. sigh :) .

ps I am comfortable with fishing with jigs, wool, not so much roe.

Thank you in advance.

poper

Re: coho/chinooks chehalis canyon
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2008, 09:34:03 PM »

Stay away from the
 canyon thats my spot!    LOL!

vlad777

« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2008, 09:36:37 PM »

HEHE now that I went there once I will probably never stop fishing there.

Just such a beautiful place, I hope the fishing is great to ;D

bentrod

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2008, 09:46:42 PM »

Vlad,
don't sweat it, I've been coming up there the past 9 or so years and have never seen fishing this poor.  Just hoping to write it off as a bad year and knock them dead next year. 

vlad777

« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2008, 09:58:56 PM »

well it did seem like a bad year in general i guess, but still not seeing a single spring caught and only getting 2 cohos all season is quite bad luck on my part :-\ . Well I still don't want to write the season off, still hoping some other river heats up. Only thing is I am quite a noobie when it comes to other rivers. I have only fished the chilliwack river in my life. So aside from todays trip to chehalis canyon I havent fished anything other then chilliwack :( .

rhino

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2008, 10:05:45 PM »

hey vlad the chinooks at chehailis were pretty ugly for the most part but below the canyon and even below the bridge you crossed some very nice fish are in. i got 3 hatch coho today as crome as i have ever seen them in two diffeent spots. i use jenson eggs and little peach wool.

vlad777

« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2008, 10:28:35 PM »

WOW RHINO THATS NICE TO HEAR :) because the walk to the canyon pools is quite tiring so if I would go to your spot that would be nice ). how far down from the bridge were you standing if its not a secret? And also are their any boundaries for fishing that river?

Thanks for the good news ( always nice to hear about coho being caught).

fishfinder

« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2008, 11:35:32 PM »

My friend and I hooked into a pile of springs in the Vedder this year from early september. I think you missed the bulk of the run when you started late September. The springs were in very early this year compared to past years. I saw several chrome spring landed last week in the lower river so there is still the odd one around. We've also done well on coho, but I agree with most that this has not been a good year for coho.

Geff_t

• Old Timer
  • Cork floats hand made by myself
« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2008, 12:26:36 PM »

Been to the canyon but will not return. To risky when you have loved ones at home that count on you to return from fishing. I have found much easier areas to fish with just as much luck hooking fish. Although it is a very nice area to fish the risk hiking in has lost it's appeal.

<*((((((><                        <*(((((((><                       <*(((((((><Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day, teach a man to fish and he will phone in sick to work and fish all day

armytruck

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2008, 12:54:20 PM »

well after cut and pasting on all the websites the exact same plea , i hope you gotten the idea that its a tad bit dangerous and really not for inexperienced fisherman , Ive got many stories of people i know or know of that wont fish in there anymore due to injuries, near falls, near drownings etc etc,  you said you were willing to bring rope in one of your replies tells me that you better stay away, honestly a coho is not worth it in my opinion to go to such great lengths.
I couldn't have said it better cammer . You are right , it is a dangerous path for the inexperience hiker in that canyon at this time of year . Those wet soggy maple leafs ( no pun intended Chris  ;D ) the size of a sz 12 boot can take you for a ride of your life if you don't watch your step . 18 years ago one took me for a ride on the slope in the canyon , sprained ankle , sprained wrist and a goose egg  :P , no coho for me that day or for that season . Be very careful up there !!! EVERY ONE
"Everyone ought to believe in something;  I believe I'll go fishing."

Big Rob

« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2008, 10:43:25 PM »

I fished the canyon a  lot in the seventies and the eighties. most of the time we drove up the prison road (across from hatchery) had three different spots we fished, always had great fishing. my old partners  are not on shape for canyon climbing and I guess I'm a little lazy myself. We also would drive up the road to chehalis lake and take some of the old logging roads down towards the river. at 7 mile we cut a trail from the end of the old logging road to the river with power saws, we thaught we were sneaky by starting the trail about twenty feet of the side of the road. I fished the falls pool a few times but it was a nasty climb down. my cousin slipped and fell on the last chute above the falls pool. knocked himself out fortunatly did'nt end up in the river. went in for steelhead once, every thing was frozen with snow on the ground. the group before us had strung out ropes which we used. upon arriving at the falls pool, they informed us that we leave or they would taking their ropes with them. did'nt need the hassle so we left. can recall times that I had my rod in my mouth so I could use both hands. It's a young mans game. NEVER fish the canyon alone!

CohoMan

• Old Timer
« Reply #11 on: October 27, 2008, 11:16:17 PM »

At least you got 2 cohos!!! I fishedthe Vedder for 17 years and this is the only year I have yet to touch a coho.

I tried fishing the canyon a couple times but I gave up because I do not think its worth it.

Steelhawk

• Old Timer
  • Fish In Peace !
« Reply #12 on: October 28, 2008, 01:40:29 AM »

I won't fish the canyon. Not for a mere fish. Seen too many search & rescue teams there in the last 20 years of my fishing life. Not worth all that for a fish which you can catch any other spot.

troutbreath

• Old Timer
  • I does Christy
« Reply #13 on: October 28, 2008, 08:11:00 AM »

It's even dangerous to spread your ashes there, after you died falling off the trail, or wadding off the the gravell into the swift current.
another SLICE of dirty fish perhaps?

spring_killa

« Reply #14 on: October 29, 2008, 04:41:12 PM »

shouldl the chehalis be fishable after this weeknend since alot of rain is expected to fall?