Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Some thoughts on fishing reports  (Read 6299 times)

bentrod

• Old Timer
Re: Some thoughts on fishing reports
« Reply #15 on: October 23, 2008, 12:36:26 PM »

BB2, You're on the island right?  Are you on the West or East Coast?  I've thought of going up there one of these years.  I might have to take you up on it.  We've been debating a change in venue.  

milo

• Old Timer
« Reply #16 on: October 23, 2008, 01:23:47 PM »

Rodney already is involved in some sort of plan with the above and i think they should add you and a few more of the ethical EE fishers to get to this group of fishers,    so how do you like being nominated  lol

Thanks, cammer.
Rodney knows he can count on me.
I will be looking forward to helping out in a formal initiative.

In the meantime, I do what I can, when I can, on my own.

fishseeker

• Old Timer
« Reply #17 on: October 23, 2008, 01:48:49 PM »

I like the reports to get a general idea of where and when things are happening.  As for specific spots - exploring is half the fun for me.

4x4

« Reply #18 on: October 23, 2008, 01:57:10 PM »

I won't ask you to share your favorite spot, just what kind of vehicle you drive so I can drop by and say Hi. :)

Actually you borrowed a pen from me once to fill out your license.

Hmmm...I think I remember when it was (as I don't keep that many fish that need to be recorded).
Let me see...late July or early August this year...upper river...I caught a red spring when fishing with my son?

Or...last year...late winter time, a steelhead in the lower river?

Those are the two instances I remember borrowing a pen to write in a fish. ???

Either way, thanks for the pen.

Milo,
That was me in the lower and I still have my pen.

milo

• Old Timer
« Reply #19 on: October 23, 2008, 03:19:43 PM »

I won't ask you to share your favorite spot, just what kind of vehicle you drive so I can drop by and say Hi. :)

Actually you borrowed a pen from me once to fill out your license.

Hmmm...I think I remember when it was (as I don't keep that many fish that need to be recorded).
Let me see...late July or early August this year...upper river...I caught a red spring when fishing with my son?

Or...last year...late winter time, a steelhead in the lower river?

Those are the two instances I remember borrowing a pen to write in a fish. ???

Either way, thanks for the pen.

Milo,
That was me in the lower and I still have my pen.

Yup, I remember that occasion, too.
But that was this year.
Thanks for lending me the pen, 4X4. :)

Incidentally, I only caught one more keeper that season.
All others were wild fish - which is a good thing, if they are true wilds.
There's a rumour out there that all unclipped fish in the Vedder are still hatchery fish, that there are no real wild steelhead or coho in that system anymore. I hope that is not true.

Does anybody have any factual information on this, not just hearsay and speculation?

bbronswyk2000

• Old Timer
  • Not affilaiated with any club.....
« Reply #20 on: October 23, 2008, 04:19:13 PM »

BB2, You're on the island right?  Are you on the West or East Coast?  I've thought of going up there one of these years.  I might have to take you up on it.  We've been debating a change in venue.  

East coast.

Are you a flyfisherman? Do a search on the Cowichan River. Its right on my doorstep.

Belong to the "4 F Club"
Fishing, Football, Fitness and Family

bentrod

• Old Timer
« Reply #21 on: October 23, 2008, 04:51:24 PM »

Pretty much use whatever it takes to catch fish.  Can't wait to get my 9 wt. bent though.  Thanks for the info.  I'll check it out. 

Fishmonger

« Reply #22 on: October 25, 2008, 11:46:56 AM »

I used to give out info on which rivers fished and secret fly patterns to everybody.
Then my favorite rivers became very crowded, something I detest.
No longer give out what river and what flies caught fish.

Every Day

• Old Timer
« Reply #23 on: October 25, 2008, 11:26:02 PM »

There's a rumour out there that all unclipped fish in the Vedder are still hatchery fish, that there are no real wild steelhead or coho in that system anymore. I hope that is not true.

Does anybody have any factual information on this, not just hearsay and speculation?

I truthfully doubt that there are no truly wild fish in the Vedder anymore. I volunteered at the hatchery over Spring Break last year and they don't release that many Steelhead to begin with, and all of them are clipped to my understanding.

It may be true that the run is stained with hatchery genes as some of the hatchery spawners will spawn with the wild fish, but that is why the brood stock program happens. Brood Stock keeps the "wild" genes of the hatchery fish in play so that they are not totally removed from the wild population. My bottom point is that that the wild fish of the Vedder have not been raised in the hatchery, because all the hatchery Steelhead are clipped, but may have had both a hatchery and wild parent which could explain why people consider them hatchery stock (assuming they are Steelhead). As far as coho go, I have no idea whether all of them are clipped or not.....

I hope buck sees this part of the topic, as he will be able to elaborate on this a lot more (maybe even correct me  ;) )

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Back on topic of the "reports". I use to give them quite often, I have started drifting away from that. There are a few reasons why I do not do it any more, but the one about bringing the internet jockeys out is by far the main reason. I have had a few times on these forums where I have seen pictures of my favorite spot posted, which kind of disappoints me, but I simply move onto another spot. I have all summer to explore the river and find areas that will not be busy.

That being said, I am by far not against the forums at all. I have made many fishing buddies and friends off of these forums and have met a lot of awesome people, whether from the Cultus Lake derby or river cleanups or just by talking on msn and meeting on the river. I am more than willing to help someone who approaches me on the river, and I have done so many times this year. I am out to have fun, sometimes I get frustrated with the crowds, but in that case I just go home and wait for the weekdays  ;D

There are no secrets on the Vedder, but there are areas that are out of the way or simply areas that people pass up because they don't find them suitable to fish. Go find a spot for yourself, even if it doesnt look like it will be holding fish, it probably will be at this time of year with the fish being spooked by the rippers. Half the fun is finding the spot, the other half of the fun is the satisfaction of catching a fish in the spot you worked hard to find.  ;)

wolverine

« Reply #24 on: October 26, 2008, 10:20:04 AM »

I really don't pay a lot of attention to fishing (catching or nt catching) reports. What I do pay attention to is water levels, clarity, and overall climate. There are lurkers on every fishing board who never contribute to the board or the resource. Dead fish "grin & grip" shots bring the lurkers out every time. I've been fishing the Vedder for over 30 years and every year it seems that more people are attempting to participate in the fishery. Most of the "new" fishermen are not very adventurous and tend to stack up in or close to the well known meat holes. Every August I make a few trips up a do a trek from below Tamahi down to Hwy 1 on foot or in my pontoon boat looking for fishy water that is a bit more difficult to get to that is away from the meat holes. I bring my GPS unit along so I can record the runs that show promise for fishing at a later date. Since I mostly fly fish my water requirements are different from gear fishermen. I prefer to fish on moving fish rather than stacked fish do I can still find water that I like to fish. 

clarki

• Old Timer
« Reply #25 on: October 28, 2008, 09:02:56 PM »

Well stated first post Milo. Cammer your statement "bragging is usually a sign of a need for acceptance or belonging , brag to your friends but not the world" is more true than not. Certainly there are those of out there that post to be helpful, because they enjoy writing, or because they want to share the joy of their fishing experience; there are examples of that on this very board. However for the most part, fishing reporters are looking for an ego stroke...particular those that post across multiple boards. When that happens I just shake my head and wonder if there weren't affirmed enough as children.  Whenever I am thinking about posting a report, I question my motivation: to be helpful or to brag. If it's the latter, I usually don't do it. I have enough hang ups in my life without needing to add "needs affirmation from strangers" to it.     

I rarely post fishing internet reports but I do burn up the email when I get home within my own fishing network. 

In my mind, the risks of posting reports far outweight the benefits. I had a spectacular season on the beach this summer, landing over 35 coho and 15 cutthroat. I only posted about it once but in hindsight, it was bragging.  Several years ago Biffchan posted about some good coho fishing he had on a local stream. He didn't name the stream but he left enough clues in his post that I was able to do some research and figure it out. Although I didn't name the stream online, others were upset with me, but my point was made. If you are going to make reports and drop hints, sooner or later folks will do the math. I also taught myself my own lesson (its just hard to follow) hence why my fishing reports are few and far between...and getting fewer and farther.