Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Some thoughts on fishing reports  (Read 6300 times)

milo

• Old Timer
Some thoughts on fishing reports
« on: October 22, 2008, 03:27:25 PM »

If you rely on fishing reports to find a fishing spot that will catch you fish, you'd better reconsider it.
No experienced fisher posts exact locations - nor he/she should. Some of us have taken great pain in finding those sweet spots that are not frequented by the hordes, and guess what? We want to keep them to ourselves.  ;)
That said, I have been known to share my favourite spots if asked kindly and the person came across as genuine.
This doesn't mean you can now email me and ask me about my hot spot.
Not so quickly.
I will only share my spots with people I meet in real life.
I am a pretty good judge of character, so I hardly regret sharing my spots.

Now, even if a fisher gives away the exact location in a fishing report, it does not garantee success.
A fishing report is never news, it's history. Every day the river changes, and a spot that was super productive yesterday can be dead today. Then there is also the technique, the timing, the weather patterns, water levels....a myriad things that can affect your fishing.

Not wanting to go into too many details, here's some advice to people who want to catch fish: Rather than expect a fellow fisher to give you information in a report, just head out there. Walk around, observe, ask questions. Most of us are more than willing to share information if approached in the right way.
If you happen to run into an a$$hole, so be it. Chances are he/she is miserable in life and uses fishing to escape his/her pathetic reality. You don't want information from such an individual anyway. He/she would probably feed you a bunch of codswallop anyway. Keep going, don't get discouraged. Sooner rather than later, you'll run into a nice guy/gal who will be more than happy to give you a few pointers.

Who you are in life reflects who you are on the flow, and believe it or not, it reflects who you are on the Internet, too.

All we really need in terms of a report is something like Chris's water condition updates for the Vedder.  ;D
Everything else is just about braggin' rights. It's what fishers do. Keep that in mind!

Tight lines out there.

Milo

« Last Edit: October 22, 2008, 05:11:45 PM by milo »

Banny

Re: Some thoughts on fishing reports
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2008, 03:40:28 PM »

Well said, I tend to put too much information into my reports and people get mad at me, I understand why some people get angry but i disagree with their arguments personally.  Now I report less but still share plenty of information when asked nicely and generally privately.  That said most people I have asked for information privately have been forthcoming as well which is great.

Jordan

Aurora

« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2008, 03:46:14 PM »

I agree, well said.

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2008, 04:31:21 PM »

A fishing report is never news, it's history. Every day the river changes, and a spot that was super productive yesterday can be dead today. Then there is also the technique, the timing, the weather patterns, water levels....a myriad things that can affect your fishing.

Absolutely right on.

bbronswyk2000

• Old Timer
  • Not affilaiated with any club.....
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2008, 04:37:41 PM »

Well said, I tend to put too much information into my reports and people get mad at me, I understand why some people get angry but i disagree with their arguments personally.  Now I report less but still share plenty of information when asked nicely and generally privately.  That said most people I have asked for information privately have been forthcoming as well which is great.

Jordan

For places I find on my own and post them on reports I have also received a few PMs/Emails from people who didnt appreciate it. Guess what I tell them? I tell them tough tittie!!

If I find the place on my own and choose to make it public thats my choice. So what if you also know of the spot. If you never showed me the spot than tough. If someone has shown me a spot I will never reveal it. I can lock it in the vault as I value my friendships.

Now when I fish some small creeks, streams, rivers, lakes that cant handle much pressure you will never see me post the spots in a report. If I feel the spots or systems can handle the pressure I will gladly post them for people. It encourages people to get out and fish. Just because I have success never means they will have success.

I spent many hours, days, months, years exploring on my own. I have always encouraged others to do the same. Their are many resources available to make the searches easier. For those that want to fish the fraser get Fishing Fever which shows you spots between Mission and Hope. Also one of the best resources available is a Map. One last thing is get a backroads map book for the area in which you fish. If you live in the Lower Mainland pick up the Lower Mainland edition. Their are also books on lakes that give you a list of lakes for your region, what species the lake has as well as a graph of the lakes.

Since living on the island I have already fished almost a dozen different lakes, fished about a half dozen rivers, and also fished beaches and have had success with most locations. Most were found on my own by looking at books and maps but also a few new friends have shown me a few places.

I love reading reports. I never read them to determine where I am going to fish. I read them for pleasure.

Tight Lines

Belong to the "4 F Club"
Fishing, Football, Fitness and Family

adriaticum

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2008, 05:21:25 PM »

Amen!

Milo, you and I have to yet meet on the river.
I wonder what salmon fishing feels like in Serbian...  ;D ;D

milo

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2008, 05:28:02 PM »

Cammer, will you PLEASE keep your gripe with Coho-man out of MY thread? ::)

milo

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2008, 05:30:30 PM »

Amen!

Milo, you and I have to yet meet on the river.
I wonder what salmon fishing feels like in Serbian...  ;D ;D

It's not salmon fishing.
It's ribolov na lososa! BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAH!

You know what I look like, Milosevic.
If you run into me on the flow, by all means introduce yourself.  :)

SmokeyRiver

« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2008, 05:34:47 PM »

Jordan

For places I find on my own and post them on reports I have also received a few PMs/Emails from people who didnt appreciate it. Guess what I tell them? I tell them tough tittie!!

If I find the place on my own and choose to make it public thats my choice. So what if you also know of the spot. If you never showed me the spot than tough. If someone has shown me a spot I will never reveal it. I can lock it in the vault as I value my friendships.

Now when I fish some small creeks, streams, rivers, lakes that cant handle much pressure you will never see me post the spots in a report. If I feel the spots or systems can handle the pressure I will gladly post them for people. It encourages people to get out and fish. Just because I have success never means they will have success.

I spent many hours, days, months, years exploring on my own. I have always encouraged others to do the same. Their are many resources available to make the searches easier. For those that want to fish the fraser get Fishing Fever which shows you spots between Mission and Hope. Also one of the best resources available is a Map. One last thing is get a backroads map book for the area in which you fish. If you live in the Lower Mainland pick up the Lower Mainland edition. Their are also books on lakes that give you a list of lakes for your region, what species the lake has as well as a graph of the lakes.

Since living on the island I have already fished almost a dozen different lakes, fished about a half dozen rivers, and also fished beaches and have had success with most locations. Most were found on my own by looking at books and maps but also a few new friends have shown me a few places.

I love reading reports. I never read them to determine where I am going to fish. I read them for pleasure.

Tight Lines
You may only read them for pleasure.. but many weekend warriors use reports as a guide to where they will be fishing the 1 or 2 days they may get out there a week. It's easy to see why many people wont tell anybody anything as i've had guys come down into a run I'm fishing and start doing the Vedder jerk... and I end up overhearing them state that they read on the internet that its been good in that particular spot... now what was a sweet slick for slinging roe for weeks quikly becomes a battleground in a matter of days. Everybody is always crying about the crude fishing tactics used by the majority of the people in salmon season...before when fishing websites were just starting to take off many of the unethical methods were confined to certain areas on the river which kept the rest of us reasonably happy.... now reports, conditions, and even directions are available to many diffrent spots right here in your own home. Seems to me that there has been an outrageous spike in anglers over the last few years...people see a report and figure hell if he did good why cant I, I have all the info I need to get out there and do it right here. I'm not bashing fishing websites as i love them and there are endless educational things on them. Just my 2 cents on reports.

marmot

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2008, 06:01:36 PM »

Here's a thought:  you can't control what people do or say, so when you find somebody at your favorite location, find a new one.  Thats probably what they did.

Fighting human nature and some peoples insatiable urge to boast is futile (especially with an internet post), all you can do is keep your own mouth shut and just hope that others do the same.

bbronswyk2000

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2008, 07:06:16 PM »

Jordan

Tight Lines
You may only read them for pleasure.. but many weekend warriors use reports as a guide to where they will be fishing the 1 or 2 days they may get out there a week. It's easy to see why many people wont tell anybody anything as i've had guys come down into a run I'm fishing and start doing the Vedder jerk... and I end up overhearing them state that they read on the internet that its been good in that particular spot... now what was a sweet slick for slinging roe for weeks quikly becomes a battleground in a matter of days. Everybody is always crying about the crude fishing tactics used by the majority of the people in salmon season...before when fishing websites were just starting to take off many of the unethical methods were confined to certain areas on the river which kept the rest of us reasonably happy.... now reports, conditions, and even directions are available to many diffrent spots right here in your own home. Seems to me that there has been an outrageous spike in anglers over the last few years...people see a report and figure hell if he did good why cant I, I have all the info I need to get out there and do it right here. I'm not bashing fishing websites as i love them and there are endless educational things on them. Just my 2 cents on reports.

I am also a weekend warrior. I dont need any reports to dictate where I fish. Its called years of learning of when and where to fish. Also since I am new to the island I will still go out and try many different places without any assistance from others. Its called exploring and learning on your own. After many trips out I will learn when and where to fish over here. I dont mind being skunked more often than not. In a few years those skunkings probably wont be as frequent.

Belong to the "4 F Club"

troutbreath

• Old Timer
  • I does Christy
« Reply #11 on: October 22, 2008, 09:49:17 PM »

I won't ask you to share your favorite spot, just what kind of vehicle you drive so I can drop by and say Hi. :)

Actually you borrowed a pen from me once to fill out your license.
another SLICE of dirty fish perhaps?

bentrod

• Old Timer
« Reply #12 on: October 22, 2008, 09:59:39 PM »

That's all fine and dandy when you live there.  However, for those of us who visit for a week or so once a year, we don't have time to hit every hole. With that said, I think it's common knowledge that not everything on here is 100% accurate.  I tend to go with the law of averages.  It has worked pretty well over the years.  However, I'm tired of spending most of one or two days scouting then only have a couple good days left at the most.  Next year, I'm going to hit one of you locals up to do some advanced scouting, act as a guide and give us some straight talk when we show up.  If you don't mind fishing with some experience folks from the states, we'll be willing to supply the beer and a kick @$$ bbq at the end of the day.  We'd also be willing to return the favor with a guided drift on the Sky or other areas in Washington. 

bbronswyk2000

• Old Timer
« Reply #13 on: October 22, 2008, 10:10:37 PM »

That's all fine and dandy when you live there.  However, for those of us who visit for a week or so once a year, we don't have time to hit every hole. With that said, I think it's common knowledge that not everything on here is 100% accurate.  I tend to go with the law of averages.  It has worked pretty well over the years.  However, I'm tired of spending most of one or two days scouting then only have a couple good days left at the most.  Next year, I'm going to hit one of you locals up to do some advanced scouting, act as a guide and give us some straight talk when we show up.  If you don't mind fishing with some experience folks from the states, we'll be willing to supply the beer and a kick @$$ bbq at the end of the day.  We'd also be willing to return the favor with a guided drift on the Sky or other areas in Washington. 

I would have you over anytime. Those types of things are always a given with the likes of Milo and myself. Now that our dollar is under .80 you guys can now be kings again in our country ;)

Belong to the "4 F Club"

milo

• Old Timer
« Reply #14 on: October 22, 2008, 10:32:24 PM »

I won't ask you to share your favorite spot, just what kind of vehicle you drive so I can drop by and say Hi. :)

Actually you borrowed a pen from me once to fill out your license.

Hmmm...I think I remember when it was (as I don't keep that many fish that need to be recorded).
Let me see...late July or early August this year...upper river...I caught a red spring when fishing with my son?

Or...last year...late winter time, a steelhead in the lower river?

Those are the two instances I remember borrowing a pen to write in a fish. ???

Either way, thanks for the pen.

And yes, cammer, you are right, the world of fishing has changed with the Internet, but not all of it is bad.
Heck, I would still be flossing fish thinking I am actually fishing if it weren't for what I learned online or from people I met online. ;)
Nor would I be looking forward to the river cleanups. ;D