Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: GPS with lakes and river info?  (Read 3266 times)

Driller

• Keeping it real.
GPS with lakes and river info?
« on: January 18, 2012, 09:38:17 PM »

Does anyone out there in forum-ville have any experience with handheld GPS units that contain detailed "back country" maps with topographical information and such things as lakes and rivers info?  I've owned a number of gps units in the past but now a days you can get them with tonnes of info, or some of them you can buy extra info.  Just wondering if anyone uses these things and can offer a tip.

Muchas Gracias
Friendship is like peeing on yourself: everyone can see it, but only you get the warm feeling that it brings.

alwaysfishn

• Old Timer
Re: GPS with lakes and river info?
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2012, 09:56:31 PM »

There is a variety of GPS out there, Garmin is probably the best because of the variety of maps available for them. I've had a Garmin GPS 60cx https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?pID=309&ra=true for about 3 years. It's tough, easy on batteries and does all I need it to do and then some. It has a memory card that allows me to put way point markers on a map located on my computer, then download it to my GPS.

I bought it with the TOPO Canada maps and use it for hunting. Check out BC backroad maps http://www.backroadmapbooks.com/shop/gps-maps-1723/british-columbia-1724/ They have the equivalent of their paper mapbooks available for a GPS.
Disclosure:  This post has not been approved by the feedlot boys, therefore will likely be found to contain errors and statements that are out of context. :-[

itosh

• I EAT llamas!
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2012, 10:41:07 PM »

i hope the webmaster won't mind... but maybe this will help some?

http://forum.flybc.ca/index.php?showtopic=35133

Driller

• Keeping it real.
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2012, 08:43:58 PM »

Thanks.  Been researching them for a few days.  Hard to tell what to get.  The price ranges from 120 bucks up to 600!  I will maybe just wait for a sale, or maybe at the outdoor show I can learn a bit more about them.
Friendship is like peeing on yourself: everyone can see it, but only you get the warm feeling that it brings.

canso

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2012, 09:54:57 PM »

You need to decide which maps you want (navionics, backroads) make sure the GPS is compatible.
I use Navionics for the ocean and its very detailed, it also does the Fraser up to the Harrison.  I have not seen the lakes version but it does the Fraser above the Harrison and most lakes in Canada, very few roads.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2012, 09:59:49 PM by canso »

Brook Trout

« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2012, 05:12:21 PM »

I have a garmin it works great with all the backroad maps

skaha

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2012, 05:17:53 PM »

You need to decide which maps you want (navionics, backroads) make sure the GPS is compatible.
I use Navionics for the ocean and its very detailed, it also does the Fraser up to the Harrison.  I have not seen the lakes version but it does the Fraser above the Harrison and most lakes in Canada, very few roads.

--I have the Lakes version... the maps and contours are good but I have found some to be off more than I figured but once I figured it out they were still useable.
--They do not have many of the super version where they have actually gone to the lake and done their own georeferencing. Have also been playing with small portable solar panel... attached to day pack... to charge power pack or garmin direct for extended life.  I also have the smaller hand held that uses AA batteries and the solar charger will charge 4 AA batteries. Don't like carrying a box full of AA's if I'm out for a week.

Driller

• Keeping it real.
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2012, 02:13:52 PM »

I downloaded the Navionics map for my Ipad.  It looks really good for the ocean and fraser.  Other rivers like the pitt, or squamish, or indian, the depth lines disappear right at the mouth of the river.  Finding the holes on the Fraser will be a lot easier with this.  Neat app.  Cost 50 bucks!  But saved me 450 on a new GPS.  I'll put that off for another year or more.