Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Bass in Deer Lake - Burnaby  (Read 123437 times)

Noahs Arc

• Old Timer
Re: Bass in Deer Lake - Burnaby
« Reply #240 on: September 13, 2012, 05:21:11 PM »

Every single one of those bass should get the club as far as I'm concerned

Shawn6o4

« Reply #241 on: September 13, 2012, 06:03:31 PM »

Why do you care if there's bass in deer lake or not? It's no like half out guys fish anyways. I fish deer lake everyday after work and would rather catch bass for fun then catch trout that don't even wiggle when you hook one.

bbronswyk2000

• Old Timer
  • Not affilaiated with any club.....
« Reply #242 on: September 13, 2012, 07:10:23 PM »

Why do you care if there's bass in deer lake or not? It's no like half out guys fish anyways. I fish deer lake everyday after work and would rather catch bass for fun then catch trout that don't even wiggle when you hook one.

So your cool with the bucket brigade dumping an alien species into a waterway. Thats good to know.....

The only time its ok to introduce a species into a specific body of water is when their is no way for that said species can get out of said waterway. So if their is no inflow or outflow and is self contained than put a species like bass in there. Thats perfectly fine. A place like Deer lake is not a place to an alien species....If you dont know why than maybe you need to educate yourself as to why its so harmful

Belong to the "4 F Club"
Fishing, Football, Fitness and Family

Shawn6o4

« Reply #243 on: September 13, 2012, 09:37:28 PM »

Did I say I was. Showing proof someone dumped buckets of bass in deer lake. Where does one get buckets of bass?

Sandman

• Old Timer
« Reply #244 on: September 13, 2012, 09:38:29 PM »

So your cool with the bucket brigade dumping an alien species into a waterway. Thats good to know.....

The only time its ok to introduce a species into a specific body of water is when their is no way for that said species can get out of said waterway. So if their is no inflow or outflow and is self contained than put a species like bass in there. Thats perfectly fine. A place like Deer lake is not a place to an alien species....If you dont know why than maybe you need to educate yourself as to why its so harmful

As long as you are aware you would be fined if caught, bonk away.
Not all those who wander are lost

Sandman

• Old Timer
« Reply #245 on: September 13, 2012, 09:45:12 PM »

Did I say I was. Showing proof someone dumped buckets of bass in deer lake. Where does one get buckets of bass?

They did not get here by themselves.  While they may not have been dumped directly into Deer Lake (they may have been dumped into Burnaby lake or just made their way up through the streams from the Fraser, which has been infested for years), these fish were definitely planted here.  And you can get buckets of bass from any bass lake.  You can now catch a bunch of bass in Deer lake today and stick them in a bucket, and take them and dump them into Lafarge or Trout Lake and you know some moron is going to do that and we will have this thread reappear as Bass in COMO Lake in a year, or Green Timbers.
Not all those who wander are lost

chronicfisher

« Reply #246 on: September 13, 2012, 09:54:49 PM »

With all this talk as a new fisherman I dunno what to do with the bass from deer lake.both sides have valid points IMO.do I bonk my daily limit?or do I keep on with my c&r of these guys?I do see where both sides coming from but but what is the right choice? Could there be a happy medium of the 2?

bbronswyk2000

• Old Timer
  • Not affilaiated with any club.....
« Reply #247 on: September 13, 2012, 10:05:28 PM »

With all this talk as a new fisherman I dunno what to do with the bass from deer lake.both sides have valid points IMO.do I bonk my daily limit?or do I keep on with my c&r of these guys?I do see where both sides coming from but but what is the right choice? Could there be a happy medium of the 2?

Yes their is. By all means if you want to catch and release go ahead. I was making a point with my posts. In all honesty I would never fish this place. As long as people are educated in knowing how this species got here and that its wrong than my point is made. Someone like this SAM1234  guy is way out of line with his thinking. Its people like him who we would perceive as someone who would transplant this species to other waterways.

Belong to the "4 F Club"
Fishing, Football, Fitness and Family

troutbreath

• Old Timer
  • I does Christy
« Reply #248 on: September 14, 2012, 08:35:58 AM »

Another way of making them tasty when they are muddy is to plant them in the garden and grow vegitables on top of them. yummy
another SLICE of dirty fish perhaps?

noxcape

« Reply #249 on: September 14, 2012, 11:15:47 AM »

Bass were released into burbaby lake by fisheries on that 1920 and then got into the brunette river system and have spread that way people need to stop pointing fingers and just enjoy them like there is no point anymore they are here and we Really can't do Much about then and FYI killing them will only Make The problem Worst because it will Actually that the growth of other bass and then we have a Million tiny fish just my two cents that's all

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #250 on: September 14, 2012, 11:25:33 AM »

Bass were released into burbaby lake by fisheries on that 1920

Not according BC fisheries inventory database.

http://a100.gov.bc.ca/pub/fidq/stockedSpeciesSelect.do

And yes, they recorded bass stockings in the database, as it was done in Christina Lake in 1901.

If people wish to retain bass where they are legally allowed to, then they are welcome to do so. Suggesting that they shouldn't is pretty silly, just as telling people that they are driving too fast when they are going within the speed limit. Killing as many as you can might temporarily disrupt the population, but it will not make a difference in the long run. You're simply opening up new niches for other existing bass to occupy and succeed. A systematic cull is needed if one wishes to see the elimination of an invasive species in a particular ecosystem, but it is costly and only justified if the invasive species poses a threat to native species that are endangered.

Personally, I prefer to eat a bass than a trout. They are absolutely delicious when pan fried or steamed.

« Last Edit: September 14, 2012, 11:55:08 AM by Rodney »

noxcape

« Reply #251 on: September 14, 2012, 01:09:29 PM »

Yeah and fisheries has told the truth about everything right lol I'll find the info I had on them stocking and forward it To you rodney and FYI smallmouth taste alot better then largemouth becue of the colder water the live in

noxcape

« Reply #252 on: September 14, 2012, 05:22:54 PM »

And it's idiots like
You that ruin lakes for people
« Last Edit: September 14, 2012, 06:39:17 PM by Rodney »

Geff_t

• Old Timer
  • Cork floats hand made by myself
« Reply #253 on: September 14, 2012, 05:38:17 PM »

Bass were released into burbaby lake by fisheries on that 1920 and then got into the brunette river system and have spread that way people need to stop pointing fingers and just enjoy them like there is no point anymore they are here and we Really can't do Much about then and FYI killing them will only Make The problem Worst because it will Actually that the growth of other bass and then we have a Million tiny fish just my two cents that's all

Oh my, please dont tell me you actually believe that. Are you trying to say that all the bass that we have been seeing around every where, all came from Burnaby lake in 1920 and it was not the bucket brigade dumping fish in areas that they wanted to fish for them. I am sorry but I find that very hard to believe. I would love for you to explain how all those fish came into Silvermer, and please dont tell me threw the spill way as I know better.

<*((((((><                        <*(((((((><                       <*(((((((><Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day, teach a man to fish and he will phone in sick to work and fish all day

noxcape

« Reply #254 on: September 14, 2012, 09:08:45 PM »

I never said it was thy Geff you dork lol (me and Geff are Freinds so I can call Him a dork) I'm Just stating that fisheries was the first bucket Brigade and trust Me if I ever Saw Someone doing that cupcakes id be on the line with rapp ASAP