Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Bass in Deer Lake - Burnaby  (Read 123430 times)

urbanflyfisher

Re: Bass in Deer Lake - Burnaby
« Reply #210 on: September 01, 2012, 09:54:37 PM »

Worms were around as far as i can remember, perfect environment for them.. i believe they are nematodes.. i used to fish with the asians on the main dock... my friend caught a nice 16 inch rainbow one day.. and it had those things coming out of the nostril... along with the red patches on its body.. little tail ends wiggling out... eww.. but properly cooked it should not be a problem, i know many people that have ate carp from there and burnaby lake and were never ill... me myself  i wouldn't eat the fish out of there even if i was paid, and would certainly not recommend it ;)

Long_Cast

• Fish Smart
« Reply #211 on: September 01, 2012, 10:24:43 PM »

I ate trout caught at Deer Lake in the 90's and I haven't had any health problems from the fish.

I think there is a higher health risk for those who eat tuna, swordfish, shark due to the high concentrations of mercury.

Even large sized ocean caught salmon, especially chinooks have high concentrations of BCPs.

Don't get me started on the ocean water near Victoria, B.C. with its untreated sewage going into the ocean.

Long_Cast

• Fish Smart
« Reply #212 on: September 01, 2012, 10:34:13 PM »

Worms? Nah, that isn't something you should be worried, unless you're eating sushi!

If the fish is cooked, it should be fine.

There hasn't been any public health warnings about fish consumption at Deer Lake, so catch 'em and eat 'em!

I don't remember that I've eaten freshwater bass of any kind, but I've heard from many people who say they're not the best tasting fish and largemouths have a slight muddy taste. I've been watching fishing shows on TV for over 25 years and I haven't seen a single fisherman keeping a largemouth or smallmouth for consumption.

BCfisherman97

• Old Timer
« Reply #213 on: September 01, 2012, 10:38:42 PM »

Fresh smallies from clean lakes, battered and fried taste very good. Never eaten large mouth tho.

urbanflyfisher

« Reply #214 on: September 01, 2012, 10:52:36 PM »

Worms? Nah, that isn't something you should be worried, unless you're eating sushi!

If the fish is cooked, it should be fine.

There hasn't been any public health warnings about fish consumption at Deer Lake, so catch 'em and eat 'em!

I don't remember that I've eaten freshwater bass of any kind, but I've heard from many people who say they're not the best tasting fish and largemouths have a slight muddy taste. I've been watching fishing shows on TV for over 25 years and I haven't seen a single fisherman keeping a largemouth or smallmouth for consumption.

Yes properly cooked there shouldn't be any problems... seeing the worms did it for me... and i have eaten fish out of lakes that were not exactly pristine, before.

Sandman

• Old Timer
« Reply #215 on: September 01, 2012, 11:34:32 PM »

I caught and ate one from Gold Lake in Upper Peninsula Michigan once.  It was about a pound and pan fried it in butter.  It was tasty, but not nearly as nice as a trout and a lot bonier.
Not all those who wander are lost

millsm

« Reply #216 on: September 02, 2012, 02:03:09 AM »

Both Largemouth and smallmouth Bass are delicious in my opinion, but I've only ever eaten them out of clean lakes.  Had them fried, battered in cornmeal, flour, salt and pepper. between 1 and 2.5 pounds is a good size to eat. 

Shawn6o4

« Reply #217 on: September 02, 2012, 07:31:10 AM »

Hmm ive caught quite a few bass from deer lake never seen worms in them. Well i'll be heading to deer lake just as soon as i  can get out of bed  :-\

pwn50m3 f15h3r

• What a great fish...
« Reply #218 on: September 03, 2012, 03:34:22 PM »

Both Largemouth and smallmouth Bass are delicious in my opinion, but I've only ever eaten them out of clean lakes.  Had them fried, battered in cornmeal, flour, salt and pepper. between 1 and 2.5 pounds is a good size to eat. 
x2. Bass larger than 3 lbs tend to be not very tasty because the meat will be somewhat old.
Someone was here

jimmywits

« Reply #219 on: September 04, 2012, 10:26:04 AM »

x2. Bass larger than 3 lbs tend to be not very tasty because the meat will be somewhat old.

x3 my folks lived on St Mary's lake on SaltSpring Island for years of retirement and I remember the first bass I ever caught and ate, both the old man and I took our first bites at the breakfast table and looked at each other in amazement at how delicious it was.

newsman

• Old Timer
  • Dude what's a llama?
« Reply #220 on: September 06, 2012, 12:10:38 PM »

If you like Rock Cod, you will like Bass. Prepare them the same way. like trout or any other fish they taste muddy when caught in warm muddy water.
Till the next time, "keep your fly in the water!"

oddjob

• woof woof
« Reply #221 on: September 09, 2012, 12:33:15 PM »

Can you catch them through out the year or are they mainly a warm weather fishery ?

Long_Cast

• Fish Smart
« Reply #222 on: September 09, 2012, 06:45:43 PM »

I just fished Deer Lake this afternoon for 1/2 hour and I caught 2 largemouth bass. I could have caught more, but I decided to leave because it started to rain.

So, I can say that today was the first time I've caught largemouth bass in my life and the first two weren't really hard fighting fish - both of them didn't jump. When I landed the second largemouth bass, another kid and his father was like, "is this fish dead?" I wiggled it a bit, and the largemouth started to shake and wiggle like crazy.

I only brought one lure for the fishing trip and I almost lost it before I had the opportunity to catch the two largemouth bass. I had a nasty snag near the lilly pads which took almost ten minutes of yanking and pulling with my 6lb test line which came with my el cheapo Zebco reel with my Daiwa medium action rod.

The other father and son fishermen were fishing for carp and none of them caught anything.

Quin

« Reply #223 on: September 09, 2012, 07:25:16 PM »

Bass can be caught all year long. Fishing slows in the cold months, but bass still feed, but their metabolism really drops.

On Duck Lake, outside Creston, there is a very popular ice fishery for bass. They jig a lure called a "Rat-L-Trap", and do quite well. The Rat-L-Trap is actually a casting lure, but on Duck it's almost exclusively an ice fishing lure. If the locals saw you casting one in the summer they'd probably laugh at the "rube" using a ice fishing lure in June!!

Damien

• Old Timer
« Reply #224 on: September 09, 2012, 07:40:47 PM »

Those guys at Duck have destroyed that lake.