Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Bass in Deer Lake - Burnaby  (Read 123405 times)

BCfisherman97

• Old Timer
Re: Bass in Deer Lake - Burnaby
« Reply #195 on: August 30, 2012, 01:41:40 PM »

Theres a little pull off on the side of the trail where one of the creeks come into the lake, there is a nice shoal where fish will stay suspended when the sun is out. Pull your lure along the shoal and you will get fish.

Damien

• Old Timer
« Reply #196 on: August 30, 2012, 06:57:32 PM »

A boat will help a lot.

Word to the wise, the larger bass push the smaller ones to less desireable holding/ambush areas.  In other words, areas with less cover, more disturbance from fisherman, birds etc. and less easy access to deep water.

Long_Cast

• Fish Smart
« Reply #197 on: August 30, 2012, 07:34:57 PM »

I haven't had the chance to fish Deer Lake since the discovery of largemouth bass, and I do believe that the largemouth bass are eating the rainbow trout in the lake. I have caught a lot of rainbow trout at Deer Lake back in the late 90's. As a matter of fact, my very first cast ever in Deer Lake in the early 90's, I caught a rainbow trout with a lure. In the 90's, I've seen hundreds of rainbow trout congregated in the small creek beside the boat rental area - probably due to more oxygen and cleaner water - I wish I had a video camera back then!

I went to Deer Lake about 3 weeks ago, and I saw 2 1lb trout swimming together with my polarized sunglasses, so there are trout. I also saw a nice sized crayfish and I saw a river otter. At first, I witnessed a splash and I thought it was a carp, then I saw the creature craw onto a rock and back to the shore, and it was a small river otter.

Deer Lake is very heavy on the weeds and algae because of fertilizers drain into the lake.  I remember back in the 90's, the water at Deer Lake was a light brown colour. Those were the days with the best fishing and the least amount of weeds and algae.

« Last Edit: August 30, 2012, 07:37:08 PM by Long_Cast »

Sam6140

« Reply #198 on: August 31, 2012, 03:29:26 AM »

Bass eating the trout?  Really?  The stocked 12" rainbows are being eaten by the bass that are way smaller or the same size?   Give me a break.   The trout could only be eaten if they were pretty much fry.  Which they're not.  They're stocked, and as far as I know they're infertile trout.

Burbot

« Reply #199 on: August 31, 2012, 04:22:34 AM »

Time to get the rotenone out..

Shawn6o4

« Reply #200 on: August 31, 2012, 08:06:43 AM »

Lol bass eating the trout, that was a good one.

I rented the 2 person boat for 17 bucks was totally worth it, you can get to all the good spots with no disturbance got some nicer fish that way.

urbanflyfisher

« Reply #201 on: August 31, 2012, 10:57:42 AM »

I haven't had the chance to fish Deer Lake since the discovery of largemouth bass, and I do believe that the largemouth bass are eating the rainbow trout in the lake. I have caught a lot of rainbow trout at Deer Lake back in the late 90's. As a matter of fact, my very first cast ever in Deer Lake in the early 90's, I caught a rainbow trout with a lure. In the 90's, I've seen hundreds of rainbow trout congregated in the small creek beside the boat rental area - probably due to more oxygen and cleaner water - I wish I had a video camera back then!

I went to Deer Lake about 3 weeks ago, and I saw 2 1lb trout swimming together with my polarized sunglasses, so there are trout. I also saw a nice sized crayfish and I saw a river otter. At first, I witnessed a splash and I thought it was a carp, then I saw the creature craw onto a rock and back to the shore, and it was a small river otter.

Deer Lake is very heavy on the weeds and algae because of fertilizers drain into the lake.  I remember back in the 90's, the water at Deer Lake was a light brown colour. Those were the days with the best fishing and the least amount of weeds and algae.

I remember those days, i spent almost every day at the lake in the mid to late 90's, i lived a few blocks away, we used to see large rainbows in the small creeks on the other side of the lake (old okalla prison side) camped out there a few times and you could hear them coming up the creek at night. Those were good days, just a memory now.

I havent been up to the lake since 2004, drove by it but never stopped, sucks to hear the lake has changed so much.

Sandman

• Old Timer
« Reply #202 on: August 31, 2012, 06:09:58 PM »

If you think the 90s were good, you should have been there in the 80s.  Many summers spent fishing at BB point.
Not all those who wander are lost

urbanflyfisher

« Reply #203 on: August 31, 2012, 10:40:24 PM »

I wish i was, but i only moved to bc beginning 1997... burnaby and its lakes and streams were my playground, in that time, i have many fond memories of those days spent, its sad to see they have turned to this... bass,sunfish, snakehead? (in central park) for F "censored" sakes, >:(  sigh...   i had enough of those back east(bass, sunfish)... funny the first decent size rainbow i caught was in deer lake... ahh the good old days.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2012, 10:47:33 PM by urbanflyfisher »

Long_Cast

• Fish Smart
« Reply #204 on: August 31, 2012, 11:35:11 PM »

The trout at Deer Lake aren't really big and largemouth bass are known to attack fish larger than their body length. If you go to any tackle store, you will find rainbow trout lure patterns too.  

Does anyone remember the days at Deer Lake when the monster carp would feed on the baby ducklings???  

I think it's time for me to bring out the Buzz Bombs!

« Last Edit: September 01, 2012, 12:07:27 AM by Long_Cast »

Sandman

• Old Timer
« Reply #205 on: September 01, 2012, 07:14:40 AM »

The trout at Deer Lake aren't really big and largemouth bass are known to attack fish larger than their body length. If you go to any tackle store, you will find rainbow trout lure patterns too.  

Does anyone remember the days at Deer Lake when the monster carp would feed on the baby ducklings???  

I think it's time for me to bring out the Buzz Bombs!

...six baby ducks go swimming one day...
Not all those who wander are lost

oddjob

• woof woof
« Reply #206 on: September 01, 2012, 01:08:58 PM »

How big were the ones you caught when you rented a boat ?

Shawn6o4

« Reply #207 on: September 01, 2012, 08:39:00 PM »

Id say just under a pound, casted along the lilly pad line maybe out of 15 bass 4 will be around a pound the rest just small guys, still good times tho

Shawn6o4

« Reply #208 on: September 01, 2012, 08:39:42 PM »

Would a bass that size be good to eat? Never ate bass before

BCfisherman97

• Old Timer
« Reply #209 on: September 01, 2012, 08:43:34 PM »

Don't eat bass from there, I caught a few that had worms comming out of their scales. Little tiny, skinny red worms. Yuck!