Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Where should the least lucky angler fish?  (Read 2748 times)

mko72

Where should the least lucky angler fish?
« on: October 07, 2016, 02:12:00 PM »

I know it's "fishing" and not "catching" but I get skunked like 95% of the time so serious question about salmon movement: When the rain comes hard like this, should you be IN the river, or AT the beach?

CohoJake

• Old Timer
Re: Where should the least lucky angler fish?
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2016, 02:34:34 PM »

I know it's "fishing" and not "catching" but I get skunked like 95% of the time so serious question about salmon movement: When the rain comes hard like this, should you be IN the river, or AT the beach?

If your question is about where to stand, it's on the bank.  When the rivers run high, fish will often run unbelievably close to shore.  If you are wading, they are swimming behind you!

mko72

« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2016, 02:41:36 PM »

Do they come flying into the river the moment the water rises or do they hang out at the mouth for a while?

Tylsie

« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2016, 02:54:39 PM »

First, I want to say that this has been my experience and others will probably disagree, but here goes. To me it depends on the species you are targeting. I have found Chinook to really start moving after the rains have ended and the water is starting to drop; Like late this morning Coho, I find, travel in low light, so either really overcast days or early morning and evening regardless of water rising or dropping. Outside of this time you will often have to go to them. They will still bite but will hold up in deeper pools until proper light conditions. Chum prefer higher but slower water and will shoot through the fast sections so you have to find some slacker water to find them.

243Pete

« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2016, 06:06:16 PM »

River or river mouth? Sometimes this is more of a guessing game than anything.
Are fish moving into the rivers right now? short answer is yes. Moving in with tides, cover of night and increases of water help a lot so being in the river would be a good bet.
Can fish still be found at the mouth of a river? again, yes. But most likely more fish will move into the river now, there will always be a few late fish so it's not totally out of the question

Sometimes fish will move no matter what, low water, high water, sunny, cloudy and ect. Best is to get out there and take a look or wait till someone reports something.

mko72

« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2016, 06:57:03 PM »

Thanks, fellas.

Is it best to fish the beach as high tide approaches?  Like 1-2 hours before?

Noahs Arc

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2016, 09:40:42 PM »

What is this beach you keep talking about? Cause there's quite a few beaches around here!

halcyonguitars

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2016, 07:40:13 AM »

I think it depends on the beach. Some beaches aren't accessible unless its low tide. You'd be a swimmer not an angler 1-2 hours before high tide.