Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Does the Fraser 'blow out'?  (Read 1758 times)

halcyonguitars

• Old Timer
Does the Fraser 'blow out'?
« on: October 07, 2016, 09:54:36 AM »

just wondering if all this water coming down will make it unfisheable, like my local river is...

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
Re: Does the Fraser 'blow out'?
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2016, 10:38:18 AM »

The Lower Fraser River, being a large body of water and tidal influenced, does not really "blow out". The only time that I've seen it "blown out" was in October 2003, when we had massive amount of rain. The tide didn't make a difference anymore. Water level was high and muddy even when it was low tide. It was still fishable though, we still caught coho salmon by bottom fishing with roe.

Water clarity in October can degrade, but usually it is caused by the rainstorms up North, feeding in muddy water from the big upper and mid Fraser tributaries.

DanL

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2016, 10:49:23 AM »

If anything the highest Fraser water levels usually occur June/July with the melting snowpack freshet. You even get potential flood warnings in the summer for south Van and Richmond some summers. In the fall when the smaller flows blow out, hitting the Fraser for coho and/or sturgeon remain a viable option.

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2016, 12:12:02 PM »

it can easily rise (and color) a few feet due to heavy rains anywhere along the 1000km plus watershed. If the rain falls on snow the effect is magnified. The Fraser will also effect the lower sections of many tribs. I remember a guy who camped at Kilby Parkin mid October. After a sunny days' fishing he pulled his boat ashore that evening. He even took care to pull 2/3rds of the boat up onto the sand. In the morning he got up at dawn went to board his boat; the river was up and the boat was gone. It had rained heavily around Prince George a couple days before & it took that long for the water to push the river up down south. I never heard if he got his boat back.
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

mko72

« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2016, 02:06:37 PM »

The Lower Fraser River, being a large body of water and tidal influenced, does not really "blow out". The only time that I've seen it "blown out" was in October 2003, when we had massive amount of rain.

That must have been amazing to see.