Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Fishing in Cuba  (Read 2647 times)

dave c

Fishing in Cuba
« on: October 02, 2016, 08:34:56 PM »

Hey Guys:  Just booked a trip for 2 weeks in January at Cayo Santa Maria Cuba.  Anyone have any experience fishing from beach there?

TheChumWhisperer

Re: Fishing in Cuba
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2016, 09:37:38 PM »

I stayed in Cayo Santa Maria for 7 days a couple years ago.  Beautiful beaches, and the hotels are all fairly nice and new. It's an area created for tourists, and you wont find anything that's authentic Cuba. 

The most prized catch from shore in the area is barracuda.  But there are lots of small feeder fish that you can catch.  No idea exactly what they're called.  I heard of a couple shark being caught too.

The resorts and locals have the worst fishing gear you have ever seen.  Your only option is to bring your own gear.  I don't fly fish, but I'm sure you can do well on a fly.  Spoons and spinners should work too.  I did see hotel workers floating fish guts and doing well for the small feeder fish.  First light is best in the crystal clear water.  If you do catch a fish, let the locals eat it.

You can also take guided fishing excursions, but it's quite expensive, 225 CUC from what I remember.  And if you get a chance to do a jet boat tour through the mangroves, do it, it's awesome.

The mission of the hotel workers is to take every dollar from your picket before you leave.  Few tips I can offer.  Make friends with one bartender, and one beach staff member. Tip them well the first day, 5-10$ each.  And tip your chamber maids the first night too.  And don't buy anything from the hotel staff.  They try to sell you fake cigars, booze, cigarettes, etc. 

dave c

« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2016, 10:03:09 PM »

Tks Whisperer,  I suppose twitching jigs would do well

DRP79

« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2016, 09:59:50 AM »

I was there 2 years ago and there were a couple spots where beach fishing may have produced. I went out with a resort worker on one of the small hobby cats and he said next time just bring my gear and most of the hobby cat guys will take you out for extended periods for tips. That may be an option.

Shinny

« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2016, 03:07:13 PM »

Go out on a fishing charter if your serious and want to catch some fish. The effort and cost to ship down rods, reels, lures...ect just to maybe fish off of a dock or a beach is in my opinion a waste of time... If you just looking to kill some time then sure...but why not make a lasting memory, go out on a boat and pull in a barracuda.

When I was in Cuba we got hooked up, a Bartender in the resort turned us to a local who does fishing tours. Took us out all day food and beers provided, caught fish, went back to his place and his wife cooked an unreal meal and treated us super well. Cubans are really outgoing for the most part...it's something I won't forget.

wonder

« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2016, 08:14:26 PM »

i stayed in HUSA on cayo santa maria and talked to the guys with the tiny catamaran style sail boat things and instead of just the free 5 minute tour i gave the guy (name was isreal) $20 canadian and a spool of line i brought and he took me out for 3 hours got a couple good sized fish on but they broke me off. Fishing can also be done along the causeway at the bridges, rent a scooter from your hotel and drive back towards santa clara, the bigger bridges in the 40's i forgot the exact number are really good just chuck a big plug or rapala or spoon into the current it will be ripping one way or anther, saw a local guy there handlining land a couple big fish one huge snapper i got a couple smaller fish. bring gear everything there is poo, i gave buddy who gave me some bait and directions my reel before i left and he was ecstatic like he just won the lottery. awesome place I'm jealous!