Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: My first Spring - with plenty of worms  (Read 2727 times)

Ambassador

My first Spring - with plenty of worms
« on: September 28, 2016, 04:25:08 PM »

Pretty interesting week last week. My Truck got stuck above the mudslide on the Squamish at Mud Creek, and after almost a week of it being stranded up there, we had a small window to go in and get them out. Forestry told us if the temporary fix washed away - our vehicles could be stranded for the Winter - yikes!

Managed to get out of the muck a few hours earlier than expected - and on the way out we had time to stop for a bit of fishing and spot scouting.

After many many many many days out trying (including charters) - I finally caught my first Spring!
Was an absolute thrill to fight and land it - my new Gloomis E6X was perfect for the battle. It came 4 casts after a huge wild Coho - the biggest fish I had previously ever landed. Even more special as nobody else around was getting any bites or action :D

After I released him, I realized I had a bunch of small, black worms on my hands - and 20+ on my hoodie (It was a wiggler). All very thin and about 1-2cm long. If I had noticed before I released the fish I would have taken some closer pics for reference. You can see one on my right hand, and one above my left index finger in the attached image. I've seen fish with Sea Lice in the rivers, but never seen these type of worms crawling all over a fish I have caught. Are they Anisakis worms? Gross little bastards.
"Perhaps fishing is, for me, only an excuse to be near rivers"
Roderick Haig-Brown

bkk

• Good fishing is earned by hard work.
Re: My first Spring - with plenty of worms
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2016, 04:30:13 PM »

Those are not worms but leaches. Very common on salmon as they get closer to spawning. Believe they are Cryptobia sp. Not harmful to either you or the fish.

Dave

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2016, 05:34:31 PM »

X2.  Very common on Chilliwack chums, and as bkk says, totally harmless

Ambassador

« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2016, 04:06:59 PM »

Thanks for the info, guys. I won't let their presence sway my decision to bonk should I find a retainable fish with them!
I'm a bit surprised I haven't noticed them on any of the Chum or Pinks I've landed (little luck with Coho and Springs in the past  :( - this year will be different)
« Last Edit: October 03, 2016, 04:12:20 PM by Ambassador »
"Perhaps fishing is, for me, only an excuse to be near rivers"
Roderick Haig-Brown