Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Region 2 bass  (Read 20076 times)

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
Re: Region 2 bass
« Reply #45 on: March 29, 2017, 09:34:49 PM »

redtide

• Old Timer
  • catch anything?
« Reply #46 on: April 01, 2017, 08:00:26 PM »

So......minnekada slough is closed because of the painted turtle population is fragile and need protection from anglers...but at the same time the environment includes bass.......a known predator of baby turtles. nice!

sbc hris

« Reply #47 on: April 01, 2017, 10:18:02 PM »

I don't think they can simply ask the bass to leave...

psd1179

• Old Timer
« Reply #48 on: April 01, 2017, 10:26:34 PM »

So......minnekada slough is closed because of the painted turtle population is fragile and need protection from anglers...but at the same time the environment includes bass.......a known predator of baby turtles. nice!

Only bait can catch turtle. Why not use bait ban instead of close down

clarkii

• Old Timer
« Reply #49 on: April 02, 2017, 07:05:56 AM »

Only bait can catch turtle. Why not use bait ban instead of close down

It's doesnt work that way.  For starters painted turtles have gone after lures.

TimL

« Reply #50 on: April 03, 2017, 12:41:51 PM »

Minnekhada was closed a year or 2 ago over issues with people fishing from the walking trails and disturbing non-anglers. Went and had a look there - plus a hike -  a few years ago when I read reports of bass being caught - there wasn't much in the way of fishing prospects. Mill best I know is landlocked.
I tried Minnekhada for bass a few times before it closed and I concur that it is not very productive. I have not caught any there nor have I seen anyone else catch any. The sloughs up in the Pitt marsh area are much better for them..also for black crappie, pumpkinseed, and carp.

Quin

« Reply #51 on: April 03, 2017, 04:07:43 PM »

A bait ban was proposed to Metro Vancouver Parks, as it would almost completely eliminate any angling conflicts with Western Painted Turtles. (Yes, there has been reports of turtles showing an interest in artificial lures but it seems bait is the main culprit in the rare instances of turtles being hooked).

The bait ban proposal went nowhere, I suspect because it wasn't a "fishing ban", which I believe was the goal and the "turtles" were the means to that end.
In Minnekhada, the area exposed to angling is 2 small stretches of dike, probably way less than 5% of the pond, so angler conflict with turtles would be restricted by that and with a bait ban would be even lower, approaching zero. They didn't even want to try it, as they were set on a fishing ban. As "DJT" would say "sad". ;)

psd1179

• Old Timer
« Reply #52 on: April 04, 2017, 10:41:03 AM »

Hi Quin, Good side, the bass is going to be HUGE for anglers a few years later.

Bavarian Raven

« Reply #53 on: April 04, 2017, 03:35:24 PM »

I tried Minnekhada for bass a few times before it closed and I concur that it is not very productive. I have not caught any there nor have I seen anyone else catch any. The sloughs up in the Pitt marsh area are much better for them..also for black crappie, pumpkinseed, and carp.

There are quiet a few bass in Minn - i've seen and caught them. But they were very finicky. That sucks that its closed.

Blood_Orange

• Old Timer
« Reply #54 on: April 04, 2017, 05:41:17 PM »

Seems strange to me that folks are bemoaning the loss of fishing at Minnekhada. As a park it's one of my favourite places to do a quick hike. As a fishing location the water access is limited, the paths are narrow, pedestrian traffic is heavy, the administration is not always friendly to anglers, it's infested with bears, and the fishing isn't as good as other nearby locations. Add to that the chance of hooking an endangered species and I'm happy enough leaving the fishing rod in the trunk when I visit  :P

Damien

• Old Timer
« Reply #55 on: April 05, 2017, 11:00:34 AM »

Not sure how many native turtles are in Mill Lake, if any.  Most likely red slider turtles that people have dropped all over the place that have taken up residence.

But always good to be smart either way with selective fishing methods.

Bavarian Raven

« Reply #56 on: April 17, 2017, 02:26:49 PM »

I see that not many people are obeying the Minnekhada no fishing closure bit...  ???

Damien

• Old Timer
« Reply #57 on: April 17, 2017, 04:59:59 PM »

https://forms.gov.bc.ca/environment/rapp/

I filed a report online this calendar year.  Had a reply back two days later saying thanks and that they have connected with the offender and have taken appropriate measures. 

I was very impressed.

Apennock

« Reply #58 on: April 17, 2017, 05:06:51 PM »

Has anyone on here fished Chadsey Lake?  I heard they're pretty abundant up there as well.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #59 on: April 18, 2017, 12:55:14 AM »

Anytime when there is a permanent regulation change/fishery closure, it takes time for everyone to comply. Many will assume that there have been no changes. Inform them, most will be grateful for your help.