Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Arrival of the Pinks  (Read 33283 times)

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
Re: Arrival of the Pinks
« Reply #15 on: July 14, 2021, 10:39:58 AM »

If pinks return to the squamish in decent numbers they could revise retention to allow a fish or 2 to be kept. In the past the local advisory council preferred a limited retention of 1 fish so that anglers might be inclined to leave earlier rather than stand in one spot releasing pink salmon all day.
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

psd1179

• Old Timer
« Reply #16 on: July 14, 2021, 11:46:43 AM »

If pinks return to the squamish in decent numbers they could revise retention to allow a fish or 2 to be kept. In the past the local advisory council preferred a limited retention of 1 fish so that anglers might be inclined to leave earlier rather than stand in one spot releasing pink salmon all day.

In 2019, there was a short week or two allowed 1 fish in Squamish. There were hundreds people at the manquam bar. when the retention down to zero. There were less than a dozen people each time I went there in the following weeks. Nobody stood in one spot as it was unnecessary. 

If the concern is anglers do not leave. The hourly rated parking is the way to go.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2021, 11:59:57 AM by psd1179 »

dennisK

• Old Timer
  • sheep rise up.
« Reply #17 on: July 14, 2021, 12:17:37 PM »

any pinks at the cap mouth from shore? i recall about 20 years ago schools of pinks coming in huge numbers...

wildmanyeah

• Old Timer
« Reply #18 on: July 14, 2021, 04:29:29 PM »

West van shore can be okay if Indian arm gets a decent return. I don’t no much about the fishery but I’ve seen pacific angler and sea run tackle reports talk about it in past years.

Paulo

« Reply #19 on: July 15, 2021, 07:23:46 PM »

I was out off of south end of Bowen Island yesterday and caught 2 pinks and I know of several others caught along the south shore as well. They are definitely on their way. Could start trickling in any day now.

wildmanyeah

• Old Timer
« Reply #20 on: July 19, 2021, 08:59:03 AM »

Great fishing off south bowen yesterday, Great quality Pinks. Definitely better than the last two cycles at this time.

dennisK

• Old Timer
  • sheep rise up.
« Reply #21 on: July 21, 2021, 07:23:57 AM »

Is there anywhere lower mainland to get pinks without a boat...

Ambassador

« Reply #22 on: July 21, 2021, 10:53:46 AM »

Caught one on my first cast of the season in July 2017 at Ambleside. Was hilarious seeing the looks on all the faces around me as nobody was having any luck that morning apparently.

Furry has had some good years - but 2019 was terrible there. The walk in is a bit more of a PITA now too.
"Perhaps fishing is, for me, only an excuse to be near rivers"
Roderick Haig-Brown

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #23 on: July 21, 2021, 03:34:51 PM »

Ambleside, Furry Creek, Mouth of the Seymour, Cates Park and practically anywhere on the Fraser.

fic

• Old Timer
« Reply #24 on: July 21, 2021, 04:44:43 PM »

I remember catching some stale pinks in the Capilano River itself.  That was the record year I think where lots of them strayed into the Cap.  They were probably Seymour or Indian Arm fish.

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #25 on: July 21, 2021, 07:21:27 PM »

Caught one on my first cast of the season in July 2017 at Ambleside. Was hilarious seeing the looks on all the faces around me as nobody was having any luck that morning apparently.

Furry has had some good years - but 2019 was terrible there. The walk in is a bit more of a PITA now too.

has anything changed with the parking? I know there is a group at the townhouse complex wanting to restrict or eliminate parking in their lots despite the fact the developers did promise parking would be available to non-residents for recreational purposes.
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #26 on: July 21, 2021, 07:22:44 PM »

Ambleside, Furry Creek, Mouth of the Seymour, Cates Park and practically anywhere on the Fraser.

there is also some fishing at Britannia Beach.

fic

• Old Timer
« Reply #27 on: July 21, 2021, 07:29:51 PM »

has anything changed with the parking? I know there is a group at the townhouse complex wanting to restrict or eliminate parking in their lots despite the fact the developers did promise parking would be available to non-residents for recreational purposes.
Parking has not changed from before. With the lower fish count, you probably have difficult odds catching them off the beach.  It seemed like a ghost town every time I visited in 2019.
There should be lots showing up in the Squamish River eventually for C&R.

Verdi

« Reply #28 on: July 23, 2021, 11:07:06 PM »

Britannia beach is closed until Aug 15
In Area 28, the waters of Howe Sound easterly of a line drawn from a fishing boundary sign 300 m north of the mouth of Britannia Creek to the southern tip of Minaty Bay.
They open it when the pink season is almost over in Howe sound.

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #29 on: July 24, 2021, 07:24:47 AM »

I wish they would post maps on these closures.

it was open for cycle or two lately. Before that people fished there until they got busted.

« Last Edit: July 24, 2021, 07:37:58 AM by RalphH »