Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Hunt For the Vedder Steel Dec. 10!!  (Read 7214 times)

Big Steel

• Old Timer
  • Searching for early Steel.....
Hunt For the Vedder Steel Dec. 10!!
« on: December 11, 2005, 12:45:48 AM »

We'll Searun and I got off to a late start this morning.  Didn't make it out fishing until about noon.  But this was more of an exploration trip, so we just headed to a set of runs that we wanted to check out on the lower river.  Found a nice stretch that we hadn't fished for since the river changed.  I was fishing deli shrimp, Searun was fishing a 6" pink worm.  Well, the water was great, just a bit of color and good height.  Things looked good for the day.  The day looked even better when Searun about 30 min in hooked into his first steely of the year.  Nothing big, but a nice starter steely.  But sadly enough, he was sleepin at the wheel and didn't get a good hookset.  On the steelies first run, he figured out how to displace the hook from his jaw!!  After that, it was one more hit and miss, because of lack of time, we headed down river to check some more runs.  As for me, I was just having fun watching and learning some new water.  Later after covering all the water in the run, we decided to head up river for the last hr of the day.  Searun was working the water with a pink worm, as was I.  But we could not induce anything.  So I was going to a gooey bob and wool.  He decided to change up as well, and went to one of my Colorado's.  Within a few casts he was into a fish, but it was able to shake him after a few seconds.  Thought that it was probably a ho.  A few casts after that, I was changing to a 50/50 gold/silver frenchie, as searun was getting into another fish.  I saw this one hit, let's just say that the pole seemed maxed from where I was.  But, after some strong headshakes, that one was gone as well.  So now, I am racing to get tied up. Finally, with cold hands, as it was starting to get dark, I got a fews casts off, after about three, my float rockets under from behind a big rock, I'm thinkin darnit, I don't want to lose this rather pricey blade so soon, so I just lift the rod to see how bad it is.  Well, what do you know, the pole starts bouncing, and a decent sized Ho is going crazy on the other end.  Well, I was a bit surprised, this one was putting up a rather spirited battle.  But after a while she was brought to hand.  It was a hatchery in remarkably good shape :o, after thinking about it for 2 seconds, she was bonked and cleaned. So that was a big surprise for me, I packed it up for the day and Searun made a few more casts, but there wasn't much light left.  So we hiked out while we could still see where the heck we were going.
  Overall, a beautiful day on the river, found a new piece of water to fish, and got a surprise ho. ;D ;D
« Last Edit: December 11, 2005, 11:42:21 AM by Big Steel »
Fishing and Cars.... gotta love it!

BwiBwi

• Old Timer
Re: Hunt For the Vedder Steel Dec. 10!!
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2005, 12:51:12 AM »

Beautiful day. Nice job.

Sterling C

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2005, 12:16:27 PM »

Good report Big Steel, I can hardly wait to hit the water.  8)
Actions speak louder than words.

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2005, 12:29:01 PM »

A Chris like report. Congratulations Big Steel.

cohoslayer1

• Bring on the steelhead
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2005, 01:38:48 PM »

Good job!
Did you get any pics of the ho?

Big Steel

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2005, 02:21:48 PM »

Yeah, I got a pic, but I didn't feel like waiting in line at the photo shop to get them put on a disk.  I think there is something screwy with my comp, I have try many times to get my camera to work with the computer, but to no avail as of yet!! ::) ::)  I'll post it in my album when I can, hopefully in the next day or so.  I never for a second thought that I'd get one in that kind of shape this late!!

Floater

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2005, 02:42:41 PM »

Good report i see the kiss of death dosent work anymore eh? ;)
[

Big Steel

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2005, 02:55:52 PM »

It might floater, I didn't get what I was targeting!!!  Funny story though, about three years back, I had a really good coho season, so I gave the gears to Searun a bit. In return, on that derby day, Searun put a jinx on me, one that he said had worked before.  He did some weird crap with his hands, then told me that I would now not catch a steelhead all season.  Wouldn't you know it, I went a 40 trips that year without landing one!! ::) ::)  Well, I was then thinking that there might be something to this, so I asked him nicely if he could remove that damn jinx, which he had forgotten about.  But it was always in the back of my mind!!  I know, I'm an idiot.  But he did and wouldn't you know it, that trip I hooked a beauty.  Lost that one but it was a start.  Next trip, I hooked 2 landed one.  From then on I have been doing fairly good.  I don't think really that the jinx had anything to do with it, but it was a confidence thing.  When he told me that he lifted the jinx, I was going to use whatever motivation I could.  Then using that new found confidence, however fake it was, I got my game together and started fishing a lot smarter!!!  The moral of the story is use whatever motivation you have to to keep you out there.  Or, don't rag on your fishing buddies, and they won't jinx you!! ;D
« Last Edit: December 11, 2005, 03:05:38 PM by Big Steel »

Floater

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2005, 05:14:00 PM »

40 trips totally skunked nothing on at all BIG STEAL!? i hope not lol. I know i would just drop my rod for life i like fishing but there is nothing worse then a whole day out on the river without getting some action.
[

Big Steel

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2005, 05:55:40 PM »

Don't get me wrong floater, I was catching rainbows and dolley's, even got a cuttie!!  But I couldn't seem to hook a steely.  But in that time I learned a lot, and like they always say, "persistance pays off".  I put my time in on the river.  Besides, it isn't always about catching the fish.  Oh what am I saying, of course it is about catching the fish!!!  I wasn't giving up till I got another one.  Then that was pretty damn cool so I had to get another one, then after that one, which was also kicked my friend I had to get another.......  I think that you get the point! ;D
« Last Edit: December 11, 2005, 10:18:28 PM by Big Steel »

Floater

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2005, 06:47:09 PM »

40 trips totally skunked nothing on at all BIG STEAL!? i hope not lol. I know i would just drop my rod for life i like fishing but there is nothing worse then a whole day out on the river without getting some action.
Then have fun flyfishing floater ;D
Ever since i started working i cant seem to save my money to buy a fly fishing setup ;) Plus like trout slayer said who cares how you fish aslong as you get fish.

Big steel its cool you caught all them trout too i wouldent mind getting out there in the cold for a good day of dollies , rainbows or any other suprise on the line.
[

THE_ROE_SLINGER

• Old Timer
  • Roe Wizzard
« Reply #11 on: December 11, 2005, 08:21:39 PM »

Congrats on the ho...im still awaiting my first steelie of the year. 0/1 so far
weeeeeeeeeow!

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #12 on: December 11, 2005, 08:26:13 PM »

It's just the beginning. Lots of time.

Big Steel

• Old Timer
« Reply #13 on: December 12, 2005, 01:03:10 PM »

These are a few pics from the weekend. 

And The ho that was in pretty good shape!!
« Last Edit: December 13, 2005, 06:56:47 PM by Big Steel »

blaydRnr

• Old Timer
  • nothing like the first bite of the season
« Reply #14 on: December 12, 2005, 01:42:41 PM »

beauty DEC coho.  what was the condition of the roe?

thanks for the report. great fix for some of us who aren't able to get out there just yet. ;)