Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Stave Lake  (Read 7333 times)

armytruck

• Old Timer
Stave Lake
« on: July 17, 2016, 09:19:56 PM »

Decided to give it another go too Stave lake this year . It's my 4th trip out starting in May . It's been slow this year as other years have produced a few cutties , bull trout and alot of squaw fish . Seems the fish are down pretty deep 100 FT. , with the odd stragglers a bit shallower . I dropped the down rigger to no avail using spoons , a hoochie  but couldn't get them to take . Fished around the pump station but even there there is no fish showing on the sounder , not like a few years ago . There were lots of fish around that area . Anyway , I tossed spoons at the rock slid area I frequent ,  got 3 hits but nothing solid . I noticed a few jets going up the top end into the river north end of the lake . I was tempted but I have a prop and wasn't comfortable heading up . Anyway it was a great day to be out . The wind kicked up after lunch and got a bit choppy so I headed to the beach to let the hound run around do his duty and run up and down the beach . We headed back to the boat ramp in the blasting wind and chop . It always picks up wind through the lower lake reservoir and get a beating .  So we get to the ramp and it's lined up with boats waiting to pull out as well as people coming in . This is the entertaining part of the day of course . So we line up at the dock patiently waiting our turn . Watch guy's jack knifing , spitting gravel as they try to correct themselves . One guy backed down the ramp and his boat rolled off 20 feet before getting down to the water . Over before he begun . So we waited while about eight guy's helped him re load  the 18 foot bowrider . Then the guy 2 boats up from me pulled out his boat almost on a 45 degree angle , he didn't want to get his feet wet and straighten it lol . Anyway , It was a great day even though I came home skunked . I would do it all over again tomorrow but . Gotta work for the next weekend .
Cheers  ;D :o 8)
"Everyone ought to believe in something;  I believe I'll go fishing."

sbc hris

Re: Stave Lake
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2016, 06:19:28 PM »

Thanks for the report! I love that boat launch on a sunny Sunday afternoon. Wayyy better than any reality TV  ;D

poper

« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2016, 09:42:46 AM »

I saw a guy drop his on the ramp on the weekend,felt bad for the poor guy, still had a good laugh.

Rieber

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2016, 09:58:58 PM »

I saw a guy drop his on the ramp on the weekend,felt bad for the poor guy, still had a good laugh.
[/quote

I hope you stopped laughing long enough to help him with his boat. Losing a boat off a trailer is probably a very challenging issue - depending on the size of the boat of course. There would certainly be some degree of damage, and well, it sucks to damage a boat or motor. I know I would feel pretty poorly if I dropped a boat and nobody offered to help retrieve but just laughed at the situation instead.

I'm not going off on you Poper, I just recently had an outing at Mill Lake and somehow tweeked my back and was really struggling in trying to load my little boat into the back of my truck. A girl (about 14 I would guess) noticed my pain and ran over to help me with my boat. I was blown away as a kid came over to help while adults walked by without any concerns. I'll keep an eye out for an opportunity to help the next person.