Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Burrard Inlet, Jan 23 2016  (Read 7175 times)

TimL

Burrard Inlet, Jan 23 2016
« on: January 23, 2016, 07:55:10 PM »

This afternoon, I decided to head out to a nearby beach to try for some sea run cutthroat. I have caught them before in the same location last year during mid-late spring but so far I've had no success getting them in the winter. Conditions were dry and mild today with a weak incoming tide- the sea was fairly calm. For gear, I was spincasting with 3/16 oz croc spoons. The first hour or so at the spot was quiet, with no risers sighted..I then met a fly fisherman who was also after sea-runs..mainly for a photoshoot for Sea-run Fly and Tackle...he wasn't having much luck either. I then decided to scout further down the shoreline to a nearby creek mouth and try my luck there, but still nothing. Towards the end of the trip, I returned back to my first spot on the beach- the tide had gone up and lo and behold, there were risers! I hurried to the beach and began casting toward the risers. The fish were ignoring the silvery spoons that I was chucking at them (these worked before during spring) so I switched to a brass/orange combo..after a couple of casts, got a hit, and a 14-15 inch sea run cuttie came in:

Took a few shots of the fish before releasing it..I packed up shortly after as it was getting dark. Overall it was a nice afternoon to be out..can't wait to try again when the salmon smolts are running and the feeding frenzy picks up.  :)

jordanc

Re: Burrard Inlet, Jan 23 2016
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2016, 06:17:41 AM »

Nice catch!

nevertoolate

« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2016, 10:31:24 AM »

are sea run cutthroat catch and release?

hrenya

« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2016, 05:02:39 PM »

are sea run cutthroat catch and release?
yes

greyghost

• Poach the poacher!
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2016, 05:23:40 PM »

Have you talked too someone for a while and thought too yourself.......
"who ties your shoelaces for you"

Noahs Arc

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2016, 06:46:05 PM »

Yes you can keep 10. Or maybe you have to release them all.
No, wait, you have to stop fishing after you've released 10.
Either way I'm sure one of these is the right answer...
best to check the regs to make sure. Or just take my word for it!

TimL

« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2016, 07:00:00 PM »

0 retention for wild trout in the tidal (as shown here). Read the regs before you head out!
Anyway I was saddened and angry to hear of recent poaching of wild sea runs at this location.

greyghost

• Poach the poacher!
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2016, 09:16:03 PM »

0 retention for wild trout in the tidal (as shown here). Read the regs before you head out!
Anyway I was saddened and angry to hear of recent poaching of wild sea runs at this location.
Maybe the poached fish are clipped ones!
Have you talked too someone for a while and thought too yourself.......
"who ties your shoelaces for you"

TimL

« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2016, 07:40:54 AM »

Maybe the poached fish are clipped ones!
I know that the vast majority (if not all) of the fish there are wild so if people are taking off with multiple fish ( as from what I've heard), then poaching is strongly suspect. A real pity as this spot is known for its exceptionally large searuns (fish up to 24 inches and 6 lbs have been caught).
« Last Edit: February 11, 2016, 07:43:18 AM by TimL »

nevertoolate

« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2016, 12:22:08 PM »

As with other things, the regs on this are not easily accessed.  It would not suprise me if people simply couldnt find the reference.   Now it is all very well for people to say that you are stupid if you cant read the regs.  However that doesnt solve the problem.  Easily accessible and understandable regs would go a long way to solving this.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2016, 01:58:06 PM »

As with other things, the regs on this are not easily accessed.  It would not suprise me if people simply couldnt find the reference.   Now it is all very well for people to say that you are stupid if you cant read the regs.  However that doesnt solve the problem.  Easily accessible and understandable regs would go a long way to solving this.

I don't think people were questioning your intelligence because you asked about regulations, but rather they are pointing out some should not be giving out information on regulations when they are not familiar with them, which is what hrenya was doing.

FYI, anadromous/coastal/searun cutthroat trout can either be wild or hatchery-marked in Southwestern British Columbia's saltwater, estuaries, streams and sloughs. Hatchery-marked trout can be retained while wild/unmarked trout have to be released unharmed. The daily quota of hatchery-marked trout in the Lower Mainland (saltwater areas 28, 29, freshwater region 2) is:

2 per day in tidal waters (minimum length 30cm)
http://www.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/fm-gp/rec/species-especes/fintable-tableaupoisson-eng.html

2 per day in rivers/sloughs (minimum length 30cm)
http://www.env.gov.bc.ca/fw/fish/regulations/docs/1517/fishing_synopsis_2015-17_region2.pdf

wizard

« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2016, 02:38:00 PM »

should be noted only 1 trout can be over 50 cm, (which is often overlooked, especially in lakes). 

hrenya

« Reply #12 on: February 11, 2016, 04:32:51 PM »

I don't think people were questioning your intelligence because you asked about regulations, but rather they are pointing out some should not be giving out information on regulations when they are not familiar with them, which is what hrenya was doing.

FYI, anadromous/coastal/searun cutthroat trout can either be wild or hatchery-marked in Southwestern British Columbia's saltwater, estuaries, streams and sloughs. Hatchery-marked trout can be retained while wild/unmarked trout have to be released unharmed. The daily quota of hatchery-marked trout in the Lower Mainland (saltwater areas 28, 29, freshwater region 2) is:

2 per day in tidal waters (minimum length 30cm)
http://www.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/fm-gp/rec/species-especes/fintable-tableaupoisson-eng.html

2 per day in rivers/sloughs (minimum length 30cm)
http://www.env.gov.bc.ca/fw/fish/regulations/docs/1517/fishing_synopsis_2015-17_region2.pdf

yeah I have no clue , but you forgot to say that you can keep 2 hatch steelheads in tidal .
and from 2 years I fish in tidal , I never saw a hatch , and the people I talked with same , so if someone is too lazy to read regs or call dfo , I think better to tell them 0 .

nevertoolate

« Reply #13 on: February 11, 2016, 08:14:32 PM »

Thanks Rod for posting the regs on this.  However I would suggest that it is definitely not a user friendly process to find them.  And this may be at least partially the reason for "poaching" that is described.  I believe that Most people, if they knew the regs, would follow them. 

First you have to know that it is under the Federal site.  Then you have to navigate that impossible map in order to get to the area you are interested in.  Then you get to a page that says absolutely zero about trout.  Then you have to figure out that a trout is another fin fish than salmon.  Even then you arent done because when you get to that place on the page there is still no mention of trout.  So then you have to figure out where to click to get to other fin fish. 

There must be an easier way to access this information.

wizard

« Reply #14 on: February 11, 2016, 08:45:45 PM »

I believe that Most people, if they knew the regs, would follow them.

I disagree and think you're being rather naive. Hard to say how many poachers would choose not to poach if they knew the regs exactly but my guess is MOST poachers choose to do so mainly because they know they are not likely to be checked or caught, so they see at as the risk is minimal and worth the reward, so they go ahead and break the rules...besides, that's ''ignorance as an excuse'' and it is a poor excuse.

Example being, pretty sure most EVERYONE knows barbless hooks are mandatory in lower mainland rivers yet a good half of used rigs/hooks I find on the Chilliwack river and others, even during stealhead season, on the banks, in snags etc. have barbs and I'm sure most frequent users of these systems are seeing the same thing.  I mean look how many snaggers come out at salmon season, sneakily stashing intentionally fouled salmon or wild ho's. Do you really think these people are doing that because the regs are so hard to figure out that they don't know what they're doing is wrong??  No way.

bottom line is, yes, in instances finding specific regs can be somewhat confusing but most regs, imo, don't require Sherlock Holmes level investigative work to figure out... we're talking about using and harvesting a resource that belongs to everyone, lawfully using the resource should be taken seriously and responsibly, yes sometimes it requires you to look into things, it's not THAT hard 99% of the time but I will agree there are still contradictory or grey areas and the system can always be improved upon but to think somehow poaching would magically disappear or even diminish if regulation wording was changed/simplified is, like I said, Naïve.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2016, 08:47:44 PM by wizard »