Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Coho in the Fraser?  (Read 3865 times)

halcyonguitars

• Old Timer
Coho in the Fraser?
« on: October 06, 2016, 09:17:02 PM »

Are there still fish in the main artery do you think, or have most passed through into the tributaries?

clarki

• Old Timer
Re: Coho in the Fraser?
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2016, 09:20:43 PM »

Most have passed through and the season is winding down. Pack away your rod and go skiing instead.

Kidding...the coho fishing in the Fraser is just getting started. Lots of opportunity still ahead.

Tylsie

« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2016, 09:28:08 PM »

As Clarki says, Coho are just getting started. My birthday is at the end of the month, I take the week off and chase (co)hos up and down the river, before heading up to hunt. Favorite time of the year.

halcyonguitars

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2016, 09:41:30 PM »

Sweet, thanks!

I want to do a bit of fishing this weekend, but I expect the Vedder to be a bit busy this weekend.

I'd like cast spoons and spinners from shore from one of the regional parks in Richmond I think,  it I'm not sure what a good option is...

clarki

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2016, 09:47:53 PM »

As Clarki says, Coho are just getting started. My birthday is at the end of the month, I take the week off and chase (co)hos up and down the river, before heading up to hunt. Favorite time of the year.
"It's the most wonderful time of the yeeaar" :)

I'd like cast spoons and spinners from shore from one of the regional parks in Richmond I think,  it I'm not sure what a good option is...
Sorry, I can't help there but Rod has posted a number of blogs and videos about his coho spincasting adventures and exploits on the lower Fraser. Perhaps those will give you some leads

halcyonguitars

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2016, 10:02:21 PM »

Thanks, I just found a list of 7/8 spots. North Arm here I come.

halcyonguitars

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2016, 10:07:31 PM »

Doh!

Looks like Coho doesn't open til the 11th.

RainbowMan

• We need longer weekends...when fishing is good
« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2016, 10:44:52 PM »

It opens in the tidal on oct 8

TimL

« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2016, 06:08:22 AM »

Sweet, thanks!

I want to do a bit of fishing this weekend, but I expect the Vedder to be a bit busy this weekend.

or you can go plunking with roe on the bottom..works well too  ;)

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2016, 07:34:47 AM »

Back in the day, around Langley  we normally caught our first coho jacks in the last week of September. Fishing extends into November & even December if you know where to look. Keep in mind where the major (hatchery) runs are headed. Vedder/Chilliwack fish often offer super fishing almost as soon as it opens. For the most part don't fish above the mouth of the Harrison as that's the last trib with a large run.
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

Tangles

« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2016, 11:46:16 AM »

This year has been pretty tough for me on the Lower Fraser. I am putting 1-3 hrs pretty much everyday since opening day on the right tides and only had two or three hits with nothing to hand so far. That being said there was some good movements of fish noticed, two evenings ago was the most surface activity so far. It's only going to gst better with the rain. Great to see some aerials by monster sturgeons almost every day too.
Tight Lines

Zackattack

« Reply #11 on: October 07, 2016, 10:44:41 PM »

Tangles,
There shouldn't have been any fishing for lower fraser coho until tomorrow tho

http://www-ops2.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/fns-sap/index-eng.cfm?pg=view_notice&DOC_ID=187989&ID=all
« Last Edit: October 07, 2016, 10:48:18 PM by Zackattack »

Tangles

« Reply #12 on: October 08, 2016, 12:57:55 AM »

I didn't mention using bait or catching cohos in my post but thanks for reminding though :)
Edit: I must be stupid to not read the topic title  :o lol, I was thinking about the general Lower Fraser thread.
I did however notice a few of the senior fellas using bait regardless but I personally am up to par with regs, plus I couldn't stand the paranoia every time the traffic chopper flys over LOL
  I do score a few chinook jacks and the odd adult most  years on artificias but like I said this year has been brutal so far for me and the late opening didn't help either.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2016, 01:25:08 AM by Tangles »

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #13 on: October 08, 2016, 08:08:30 AM »

Tangles,
There shouldn't have been any fishing for lower fraser coho until tomorrow tho

http://www-ops2.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/fns-sap/index-eng.cfm?pg=view_notice&DOC_ID=187989&ID=all

the bait ban applies only when fishing for salmon.
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.