Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Ethics of Fishing on a Body of Water Under Preservation.  (Read 8023 times)

Walter Q

Re: Ethics of Fishing on a Body of Water Under Preservation.
« Reply #15 on: April 10, 2008, 05:19:02 PM »

Be careful with being "really" ethical in your thoughts. You may end up never fishing salt water ever again for anything that decides to pay freshwater a visit.

If it's "legal" and you think it shouldn't be, voice your opinions to somebody about the situation that can help fix it.

I pick and chose the waters, species and timing for my fishing with concerns for the fish(and other things) always in my mind,,,always.

marmot

• Old Timer
« Reply #16 on: April 10, 2008, 05:53:18 PM »

Be careful with being "really" ethical in your thoughts. You may end up never fishing salt water ever again for anything that decides to pay freshwater a visit.

If it's "legal" and you think it shouldn't be, voice your opinions to somebody about the situation that can help fix it.

I pick and chose the waters, species and timing for my fishing with concerns for the fish(and other things) always in my mind,,,always.

"really" ethical thinking to me would have none of us fishing at all....I'm not advocating that....just some basic common sense to allow for good judgement when the laws allow for exploitation, which they most often do. 

canso

• Old Timer
over fishing never caused the problem
« Reply #17 on: April 10, 2008, 11:24:51 PM »

Cutthroat are extremely sensitive to disruption of their environment 

In this area, the Cutthroat population problems are not from over fishing,

But building and large developments that cause excess sediment and chemical pollution.
Over the years building practices have changed for the better to help sensitive fish such as this.
Example: catchment ponds on building sites(prevents chemical pollution), the worst is adding seawalls, removing trees, adding large rocks, culverts in place of streams and otherwise modified causing sediment issues.

It was the fishermen that pointed out that there was a problem.
Its fishing licence funding paying, for the research, to repair the problem that was never caused by fishing.

I don’t feel bad for catching fish we helped save.
We are talking estuaries with a few sport fishermen. I’ve never seen large groups targeting this species.

The day I see Pegleg meat hunters shoulder to shoulder in are local estuaries is the day I will admit we have ethics issues regarding cutthroat.

Walter Q

« Reply #18 on: April 11, 2008, 05:23:41 AM »

just some basic common sense to allow for good judgement when the laws allow for exploitation, which they most often do.

If the majority had "common sense" and "good judgement" there would no need for laws. Yet we have them. If YOU think that this particular "loophole" should be closed up,,,,,,then go DO IT.  And you can also educate those that think that "following the law" is good enough. But to say a person is "unethical" because they are following the rules, yet don't understand the consequences of doing so, seems a little silly to me. I believe this is where the people get he impression that some out there with the rods in hand are just a little to high on themselves and the sport they enjoy.

marmot

• Old Timer
« Reply #19 on: April 11, 2008, 10:17:02 AM »

just some basic common sense to allow for good judgement when the laws allow for exploitation, which they most often do.

If the majority had "common sense" and "good judgement" there would no need for laws. Yet we have them. If YOU think that this particular "loophole" should be closed up,,,,,,then go DO IT.  And you can also educate those that think that "following the law" is good enough. But to say a person is "unethical" because they are following the rules, yet don't understand the consequences of doing so, seems a little silly to me. I believe this is where the people get he impression that some out there with the rods in hand are just a little to high on themselves and the sport they enjoy.

Look, there will always be ways to skirt the law and "closing loopholes" is not the answer.  Like you say, educating people is great.  Thats why I am in favor of implementing angler education prior to anyone being licensed.  I brought it up in here, where there are people with political inroads, and nobody seemed interested.  It was largely met with a "waste of money" response. I do agree that education is paramount. 

But to say a person is "unethical" because they are following the rules, yet don't understand the consequences of doing so, seems a little silly to me
   lets rephrase then, they display a lack of ethics and are simply uneducated, which is precisely what you are saying, no?

My "high on myself" response as you are seeing it is not coming from this specific river example either, its the "fish anything thats legal" comment.  I'm not some hyper ethical angler....just somebody tired of seeing SO many examples of people doing just about everything in their power to make a mess of what is already in trouble..from reasons that canso has already mentioned.

Canso, I am not saying that your decision to fish this particular creek is unethical.  I wouldn't do it, but thats just me.  Your argument for why you think its alright to fish it is completely valid, and you don't need me to say that of course, but again this is FAR FAR FAR away from "fish anything that's legal".

« Last Edit: April 11, 2008, 10:19:06 AM by marmot »

troutbreath

• Old Timer
  • I does Christy
« Reply #20 on: April 11, 2008, 10:49:59 PM »

It's all bad when were "high on ourselves" and then go out fishing :-\ I try never to do that.
another SLICE of dirty fish perhaps?

Xgolfman

• Old Timer
  • Wild rivers, wild fish
« Reply #21 on: April 13, 2008, 12:31:02 PM »

Please....are you guys really this lame? You know what's right and wrong...Don't hand me this B.S. about your dollars going to solve the problem in your license fee's etc. The fish aren't going to be there much longer and yet your still fishing them through another F***ing loophole...

Some of you guys are so, What? your worlds so pathetic that you have to feel better about yourselves from killing fish!!!  Don't tell me they are so tasty you can't resist..because they are not...Does it make your sad little life so much better because you came out on top for a change? Give your freaking heads a shake...

Ok, no threats....

« Last Edit: April 14, 2008, 10:13:17 AM by Xgolfman »

MERC

• Old Timer
« Reply #22 on: April 13, 2008, 12:47:07 PM »

I kind of look at this the same way that I look at the judicial system.  Lawyers and judges get all caught up in the strictly legal interpretation of law that they seem to forget that this is supposed to be a system of justice, not legal nitpicking.  Somebody who murders someone and gets off on a legal technicality...that p*sses me off, big time.  So, you can follow the law that states you shouldn't fish a body of water, etc etc and then try to target fish specifcally entering that body of water by intercepting them before they enter that body. It's legal. It does not make it ethical or moral, IMO.  Nor does it do the fish any justice.
President Club S. C. & P.

marmot

• Old Timer
« Reply #23 on: April 13, 2008, 06:33:28 PM »

Man am I glad to see I'm not the only one that comment rubbed the wrong way.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #24 on: April 13, 2008, 07:46:01 PM »

Your opinions are welcome, but please leave the insults and threats out. Rudeness does not get your point across, it only further divides both sides of an issue.

troutbreath

• Old Timer
  • I does Christy
« Reply #25 on: April 14, 2008, 07:33:42 AM »

South of a line due west from Cape Caution:

* wild trout: catch and release only
* hatchery trout: 2, none of which may be less than 30 cm

McKay Creek closed all year

If you really want some trout to eat there's lots in the local lakes.They will taste better than Cutthroat from the Ocean. One way around it is for the hatchery fish in that area not be clipped so that they all look wild.
another SLICE of dirty fish perhaps?

Xgolfman

• Old Timer
  • Wild rivers, wild fish
« Reply #26 on: April 14, 2008, 10:51:05 AM »

Your opinions are welcome, but please leave the insults and threats out. Rudeness does not get your point across, it only further divides both sides of an issue.

I personally believe the reason we have allot of our problems today are because we as a society have become afraid. The majority of intelligent, well meaning individuals have given away our rights in the name of political correctness. I'm so sick of seeing and hearing these cowards and children who have been raised without an ounce of respect preach about their rights!
And we stand by and don't do anything because of legalities that protect the guilty?

I don't care if it causes a large divide...I don't care if it's rude...I'm calling a spade a spade..a gutless coward a coward...The problem lies because it has always been OK to bend the rules just a little, to look the other way instead of making a stand when you see something wrong, to always wait for the other guy to do something because you can't do it yourself...To accept the unacceptable because  it's better to loose something through debate then to win something back with a fight?

I'm sorry but I'm tired of ignorance being acceptable and allowed to win or be given a chance to "debate" their legal loopholes..Does anyone else not get a bad feeling in the pit of their stomachs watching these ****heads take glee in catching, torturering and killing  fish, not for food but for purely because they can? Is it any wonder the stocks are down and dropping further off?? Do you think it matters to these guys when the fishery is closed completely? Hell no, they aren't sportsmen in the first place, they'll just move on to next thing they can ruin and blame it on  everyone else...

« Last Edit: April 14, 2008, 01:58:27 PM by Xgolfman »

marmot

• Old Timer
« Reply #27 on: April 14, 2008, 01:16:36 PM »

I think Rodney is eluding to that old saying that you can catch more flies with honey than you can with vinegar.  I also think there are far more people out there who think about where they are fishing and do what's right for the fishery than people who greedily sap the resource for all it's worth just because they "can".

I agree with you though xgolfman, and I welcome the divide that separates myself from people who really don't care.  My stance isn't about being high on myself, its about giving a f about the future, if the perception is the former, I really don't care.  Nobody here is brash enough to admit that if the fish were really in peril, they'd still fish for them if it was legal...but my guess is there are a few guys that would be out there regardless. There always are.  Sad.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #28 on: April 14, 2008, 01:29:33 PM »

No that's not what I am saying. I'm telling, not asking, all to follow the registration agreement or do it somewhere else if you wish to continue:

You agree, through your use of this forum, that you will not post any material which is false, defamatory, inaccurate, abusive, vulgar, hateful, harassing, obscene, profane, sexually oriented, threatening, invasive of a person's privacy, adult material, or otherwise in violation of any International or United States Federal law.

Back to the original topic please if there are still constructive criticisms to add, or we'll be closing the thread shortly.

Xgolfman

• Old Timer
  • Wild rivers, wild fish
« Reply #29 on: April 14, 2008, 02:01:31 PM »

No that's not what I am saying. I'm telling, not asking, all to follow the registration agreement or do it somewhere else if you wish to continue:

You agree, through your use of this forum, that you will not post any material which is false, defamatory, inaccurate, abusive, vulgar, hateful, harassing, obscene, profane, sexually oriented, threatening, invasive of a person's privacy, adult material, or otherwise in violation of any International or United States Federal law.

Back to the original topic please if there are still constructive criticisms to add, or we'll be closing the thread shortly.

Oh poop. Don't need coffee when I read these...