Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Inflatable Fishing Float Tube  (Read 10185 times)

Canadian Anglerz

Inflatable Fishing Float Tube
« on: March 03, 2024, 12:43:06 PM »

Hi All,

I have had fishing kayaks and loved them but when I moved from California to BC I had to sell them, now thinking about getting another kayak but I keep watching videos of people using these Inflatable Fishing Float Tubes.

Does anyone have any thoughts/suggestions on the floats vs. kayak.

Thanks,

chardeemacdenis

Re: Inflatable Fishing Float Tube
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2024, 01:20:25 PM »

*personal opinion alert*

I hated my float tube.

Pontoon boat, kayak, or even a 10' punt are better options.

Fishing isn't catching

Darko

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2024, 01:36:49 PM »

I have one and did not find the appeal, I prefer my inflatable boat. If you are interested I can sell you mine at a good price. It comes with an extra tube.
if you ain't fishin, you ain't livin

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2024, 02:17:47 PM »

tubes do have storage advantages but if you get one, rather than a donut shape - get one like this:

https://assets.cabelas.ca/image/upload/q_auto:eco,f_auto/c_scale,w_auto/dpr_auto/ProductImages//264840-253053

easy to get in and out of, you can kick with more force and the bow at the front also helps propulsion and handles waves.

Various sit on and frameless type are good - I have one the original Scadden renegades:

https://www.davescaddenpaddlesports.com/product-page/dave-scadden-s-detonator-r-series

Outcast makes a similar style and they have a good reputation.
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

coastangler

« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2024, 08:01:22 PM »

Outcast is overpriced in my opinion. I have this one from Decathlon Canada https://www.decathlon.ca/en/p/8643994/fishing-float-tube-fltb-5-v2-grey-orange and I love it - it has an inflatable seat and all the other Outcast top model features at a fraction of the price. Trust the Europeans for this - they fish float tubes everywhere, and even equip them with electric motors! https://www.decathlon.co.uk/p/fishing-float-tube-motor-fltb-mtr/_/R-p-335458

It is a great budget-friendly option to fish small to medium size lakes. Don't even consider it for larger lakes, i.e. Stave, Alouette and so on. You'll get stranded! It's super convenient to inflate it to 90% capacity, throw it in the trunk and then you can hit the water once you arrive super quick.

I had some really epic days at the Sasquatch Provincial Park lakes on my float tube, especially Deer where is too shallow to fish from shore. It's also a great option for Hike in lakes as some models (like mine) have straps for the back. I love to hike it up to Edith in Squamish and fish parts of the lake otherwise unaccessible. 

I've seen people sometimes fishing rivers and sloughs with them but I personally only use it for fly fishing lakes

"It is not the mountain we conquer, but ourselves.”
Sir Edmund Hillary

psd1179

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2024, 10:23:12 PM »

I still remember my first day using float tube. It was difficult to kick around. after an hour, I decided to take a break. In the shallow water, walking forward with the fin was a big mistake. It was like ropes tied on my feet. I fell into the water and did not realize what was going on. I splashed and tripped multiple times in the water, pushed the float tube away. The wind blows the float tube into the middle of the lake. I was all wet after climb back to shore. Called my buddy to bring a kayak to get the float tube back.

I used maybe another twice float tubing. eventually got rid of it and won't touch it again. 
« Last Edit: March 03, 2024, 10:26:04 PM by psd1179 »

pwn50m3 f15h3r

• What a great fish...
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2024, 12:58:43 AM »

I personally really enjoyed my float tube up until I upgraded to a pedal kayak last year. It does get tiring and cold at times but it has some advantages that many other boats don’t have. Float tubes are very portable, they’re great for slow trolling for trout or bass in lakes, and (my favourite) you can fish and move at the same time.

The tube I used was a cheap Cabelas model that honestly didn’t float that well and developed small leaks that I had to repair. I’ve caught many bass and trout from it and I’ve even taken it out to the saltwater to target lingcod and rockfish (though I don’t recommend that for safety reasons). Depending how you like to fish, it can definitely be a worthy investment
Someone was here

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2024, 08:22:29 AM »

I still remember my first day using float tube. It was difficult to kick around. after an hour, I decided to take a break. In the shallow water, walking forward with the fin was a big mistake. It was like ropes tied on my feet. I fell into the water and did not realize what was going on. I splashed and tripped multiple times in the water, pushed the float tube away. The wind blows the float tube into the middle of the lake. I was all wet after climb back to shore. Called my buddy to bring a kayak to get the float tube back.

I used maybe another twice float tubing. eventually got rid of it and won't touch it again.

That sounds like a nightmare!

I had a Bagmaker Float tube for many years. I had many good experiences in it. There is something to being so low in the water as a hatch starts or watching trout feed right below your flippers. I never used it in the ocean or in a stream. I do know some guys did use them in rocky streams with white water.

With the increasing numbers of Biggs Killer Whales locally (they eat mammals) tubing in the chuck may not be a good idea.
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

SuperBobby

« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2024, 06:35:19 PM »

I still primarily float tube....and that's all I do on the smaller lakes....and I'm not young anymore by any means.
Contrary to what some will tell you, an anchored Pram or Johnboat cannot get a dead drift as perfect as a float tube for chironomid fishing.

iblly

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2024, 04:49:52 AM »

Drinking too many morning coffee’s and float tubing can be problematic.

pwn50m3 f15h3r

• What a great fish...
« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2024, 09:59:25 AM »

I think we’ve all neglected to mention the biggest disadvantage to float tubes other than the lack of speed. Depending on how low in the water you’re sitting, it is likely you will be unable to pee (if you’re wearing waders) unless you go to shore. This can be tricky in bodies of water with limited shore access. One reason I like float tubes in the summer when you can just wear swim shorts
Someone was here

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2024, 10:07:51 AM »

One guy I knew said "you're not really a stillwater angler if you haven't whizzed in your waders. "

clarki

• Old Timer
« Reply #12 on: March 05, 2024, 10:24:00 AM »

My buddy and his fishing partner were float tubing in LLJ when his partner had the very sudden urge to go #2. The kind of urge that demands your immediate attention and you know you only have a short window of time to make the appropriate arrangements.

Partner started urgently kicking for shore towards the nearest toilet.

Upon reaching the shore, he extricated himself out of his tube, and, without removing his fins, ran (or ran as best as one can with fins on) across the grass in waders and fins for the facilities.

He didn't make it...

SuperBobby

« Reply #13 on: March 05, 2024, 03:00:04 PM »

I think we’ve all neglected to mention the biggest disadvantage to float tubes other than the lack of speed. Depending on how low in the water you’re sitting, it is likely you will be unable to pee (if you’re wearing waders) unless you go to shore. This can be tricky in bodies of water with limited shore access. One reason I like float tubes in the summer when you can just wear swim shorts

Maybe there are too many people that haven't figured out that beer and float tubes don't mix. I still get about 3-4 hours comfortably in a float tube before #1 becomes an issue. I don't even drink pop or juice out there. I'd rather caution on the side of too little water then be stuck having to go every 30 minutes. I come in for lunch....drink a fair bit then, and then wait about 30 minutes....go pee...and back out for another 3 hours. 6 or 7 hours of flyfishing in a float tube is enough for me at my age.

SuperBobby

« Reply #14 on: March 05, 2024, 03:01:12 PM »

My buddy and his fishing partner were float tubing in LLJ when his partner had the very sudden urge to go #2. The kind of urge that demands your immediate attention and you know you only have a short window of time to make the appropriate arrangements.

Partner started urgently kicking for shore towards the nearest toilet.

Upon reaching the shore, he extricated himself out of his tube, and, without removing his fins, ran (or ran as best as one can with fins on) across the grass in waders and fins for the facilities.

He didn't make it...

Would have been fun to watch....