Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Don Campbell Centerpin reels  (Read 10190 times)

bobby b

Re: Don Campbell Centerpin reels
« Reply #15 on: December 31, 2015, 05:22:52 PM »

Yup... Leaning toward a 3113lb ... If I can find one ...

bobby b

« Reply #16 on: January 19, 2016, 02:15:59 PM »

If you are looking for the rod to be light there will be a big difference in 3113m and 3106 lb, I like longer rods so now I fish a 3113 lb that was custom built , way thinner cork and shorter than factory, super light reel seat, and a 4 Milner kingfisher.
This setup is feather light , what I prefer for steal heading .
Some guys think 4 inch centerpin has slow pick up and don't prefer it, but I find that 75 % of casts while steal heading are close and not too long of drifts, so my opinion weighed in towards rather having a light setup vs pickup and speed of reeling in.
Also because my shoulder was always sore after a day of fishing with a 3113 m paired with a islander reel what I had before...

Everyone has their own opinion , but I found that 3113 m was too heavy of a rod for vedder stealhead.

By the way , I landed stealhead in 20 lb range, fought lots of huge chum and had 30 lb springs landed no problem with my 3113lb, yet at the same time catching a bull trout of 2 lb would feel great just like a five lb fish .

Thanks for the advise as I was really unsure as which way to go .... light was indeed the goal though so.....

Picked up a 3113lb blank from 'flyrod' and had Dave Barnes build it.

Very happy with the result. The 3113lb and Kingfisher are indeed feather light and casting all day is not tiring at all.

Now to catch a fish!!!

https://m.flickr.com/#/photos/jeep_yj/24367508551/

https://m.flickr.com/#/photos/jeep_yj/24367502951/sizes/l/

Gonna head out for the day tomorrow.... hopefully the fish will indulge ....

losos

« Reply #17 on: January 19, 2016, 07:08:03 PM »

Congratulation on your gear I myself was wondering about l versus m but got deal on m I couldn't resist. Well I could ,but would look stupid doing so. At the time I was advised that m is most versatile and  could be both for steelhead and spring. I was wrong it seems. My rod was used three times only that is 3 times and only two times there was fish on it so perhaps I could swap it with someone for the l version of similar quality (components).
Let us now how it is performing during the season if you don't mind.
Good luck.