Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Vedder coho questions  (Read 10221 times)

fish fear me

Re: Vedder coho questions
« Reply #15 on: November 26, 2015, 09:17:38 PM »

thanks for the tip floater. So for the dollie's and bull trout can you just float fish with roe? I was aware of this fishery but never fished it so any additional tips would be much appreciated.

bigsnag

• Old Timer
« Reply #16 on: November 26, 2015, 09:31:07 PM »

Beauty!!!  :D

Probably the prettiest species in the system.

Glad they are C&R only.
X3  nice fish!!!
It ain't the roe bro'

Floater

• Old Timer
« Reply #17 on: November 27, 2015, 08:56:26 AM »

thanks for the tip floater. So for the dollie's and bull trout can you just float fish with roe? I was aware of this fishery but never fished it so any additional tips would be much appreciated.
I have caught all species of BC trout on roe but not intentionally always a by catch when fishing for salmon, my personal opinion is single egg presentations such as a trout bead (also any big bead) or jensen eggs under a float work best. I try to fish them a little deeper than roe almost near bottom, again this is just my theory but i imagine a lot of the dead or washed away eggs will be coming down the bottom of the river bouncing through the rocks. Rods new stamp river "egg hunter video" is a very good watch on this kind of fishing.
[

dobrolub

« Reply #18 on: November 27, 2015, 10:17:05 AM »

i imagine a lot of the dead or washed away eggs will be coming down the bottom of the river bouncing through the rocks. Rods new stamp river "egg hunter video" is a very good watch on this kind of fishing.
I'd think this is a sound theory as confirmed with the video. Do you have any special tricks on avoiding snagging the bottom?
« Last Edit: November 27, 2015, 10:20:26 AM by dobrolub »

Noahs Arc

• Old Timer
« Reply #19 on: November 27, 2015, 10:25:59 AM »

I agree with floater the presentation has to be on the bottom when fishing singles.
If I'm floating singles I use absolute minimal weight and fish the bottom holding back on my drift a bit to keep the presentation just above the river bed. Pretty much nymph it with a pin.
This is what works for me and can be deadly this time of year. I've also had success with coho in gin clear water with this technique. Your mileage may vary.

Edit: match your float if you downsize weight.

Floater

• Old Timer
« Reply #20 on: November 27, 2015, 11:09:44 AM »

Yah Noah has same technique as me i fish it to where i can sometimes feel the lead hitting rocks and then i just adjust by holding back a bit so i know the egg is low enough and the led is just a above the rocks, this of course only minimizes snag ups, they will happen. Im sure guys have caught fish in all kinds of water but i find 90 percent of my hook ups are near the end of the drift in shallower water, again i assume the trout are smart and sit there waiting for "delivery" dinner from above the run, but who knows that video taught me that summer run steelhead dig up nests to feed on eggs too! BUlls and Dollies might do the same. Thats why i love fishing you learn something new every time you got out and sometimes when you are so sure that one technique is the best all of a sudden your world is turned upside down and something new comes along that works even better.
[

TimL

« Reply #21 on: November 27, 2015, 04:53:45 PM »

Thanks Floater for the tips. I tried a similar set up on the Stave for trout recently but no luck yet. For lead, do you go with split shot or sliding weight?

Floater

• Old Timer
« Reply #22 on: November 27, 2015, 06:42:23 PM »

I always use pencil lead i find split shot snags up too much when your fishing near bottom.
[

John Revolver

« Reply #23 on: November 27, 2015, 07:15:02 PM »

Thanks for the tips floater!!. I was out today and I had bulls/dollys/single eggs and tailouts on the mind!. 

Thankfully I was lucky at first light and hit some coho(abit colourd) with black and pink Jigs in the upper. Then every died down and I switched single eggs to target bulls/dollys but had no success.

Without getting into detailed specifics, is there a particular section where dollys/bulls are concentrated?  mid/upper?

I always use pencil lead i find split shot snags up too much when your fishing near bottom.

do you use inline or tubing?

Floater

• Old Timer
« Reply #24 on: November 27, 2015, 07:49:24 PM »

Thanks for the tips floater!!. I was out today and I had bulls/dollys/single eggs and tailouts on the mind!. 

Thankfully I was lucky at first light and hit some coho(abit colourd) with black and pink Jigs in the upper. Then every died down and I switched single eggs to target bulls/dollys but had no success.

Without getting into detailed specifics, is there a particular section where dollys/bulls are concentrated?  mid/upper?

do you use inline or tubing?
Im sure the fish are up and down the river but i have caught all of mine mid to upper most in the upper, i fish inline but i dont think that is as important of a detail as fishing deep as you can without losing all your gear all the time.

I was also gona head out today but something came up and after seeing the morning frost i thought maybe it was for the best lol.

Still seeing lots of people hitting some chrome coho wild and hatch pretty awesome i guess the ones that brave this weather get rewarded, too bad it dose not always work that way for steelhead season lol.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2015, 07:51:21 PM by Floater »
[

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #25 on: November 28, 2015, 12:30:31 AM »

Rods new stamp river "egg hunter video" is a very good watch on this kind of fishing.

:D