Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: going to vedder tmr  (Read 10187 times)

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
Re: going to vedder tmr
« Reply #15 on: December 25, 2013, 03:03:14 PM »

The only part relating to requiring the tag was much further down in the link you posted , and it was in the area of classified waters , said that in certain waters , when steelhead are present , a tag is required .

http://www.env.gov.bc.ca/fw/fish/regulations/docs/1315/fishing_synopsis_2013-15_provincial.pdf

Page 7

STEELhEAD
Your basic licence must be validated with a Conservation Surcharge Stamp if you intend to fish for steelhead anywhere in B.C. (whether you intend to keep or release your catch). In addition, a steelhead stamp is mandatory when fishing on most Classified Waters during certain specified periods, even when fishing for species other than steelhead. Refer to the regional tables for dates and exceptions.

blaydRnr

• Old Timer
  • nothing like the first bite of the season
« Reply #16 on: December 25, 2013, 03:04:16 PM »

Where is this found? I just read it again and can't find it.

That's what I was wondering.  ??? C'mon Rod it's your forum...where the heck is it?

koifish

« Reply #17 on: December 25, 2013, 03:10:14 PM »

ya I will buy the tag tmr thanks
Since I'm under 16 I don't need a license so would I need the steelhead tag

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #18 on: December 25, 2013, 03:10:55 PM »

So specifically , what are the actual gear requirements that would make you legally fishing for trout instead of steelhead? eg. rod length? if so , what actual rod length is legal for not requiring the tag ? line size ? specific lures?Steelhead bite on pretty much anything a trout will . Where is this list of requirements found?

No such list of requirements is available of course. The officers will use their judgement to determine what you are targeting. They are not about to expend the time and energy to lay a charge which will not stand. If you are using a salmon/steelhead baitcastin/centerpin setup, with 12lb+ test line, size 1+ hook, without a steelhead tag and claim to be targeting trout, then you are asking for a fine. If you are using a 3wt fly fishing rod or ultralight spinning rod, with a tiny nymph fly or 1/8oz lure to target trout without a steelhead tag, then it is quite clear what your intent is and officers will simply check your license and move on.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #19 on: December 25, 2013, 03:12:54 PM »

If you are under 16 and a resident of BC, you do not need a license AND stamps but must abide by all regulations.

Page 6 on http://www.env.gov.bc.ca/fw/fish/regulations/docs/1315/fishing_synopsis_2013-15_provincial.pdf

Sometimes the best answer comes from where they are written. Read the regulations thoroughly.

blaydRnr

• Old Timer
« Reply #20 on: December 25, 2013, 03:13:09 PM »

If you go to the fishing licence link that Rodney has on the front page you will see it in there where u buy your licence and tag etc.

Could you please post the link or direct me to it...I must be getting blind because I've gone through the license section twice and I still can't find where it is.

blaydRnr

• Old Timer
« Reply #21 on: December 25, 2013, 03:18:29 PM »

Rodney is right you don't need a license, but make sure you have your school id if you look older than 16.

Good on ya kid for asking about the regs and doing your homework, you've got what it takes to become a top rod.

Good Luck fishing and Merry Christmas!

koifish

« Reply #22 on: December 25, 2013, 03:23:44 PM »

Rodney is right you don't need a license, but make sure you have your school id if you look older than 16.

Good on ya kid for asking about the regs and doing your homework, you've got what it takes to become a top rod.

Good Luck fishing and Merry Christmas!

so my dad would only need to buy the tag
so no license or tag for me ! lol i will keep my school id but i need to find it... lol

Thank you all and have a Merry Christmas! and a happy new year
« Last Edit: December 25, 2013, 03:27:41 PM by koifish »

wizard

« Reply #23 on: December 25, 2013, 03:35:22 PM »

First ever steelhead I hooked and landed was while I was targeting bulltrouts with a light spinning setup. Landed the 10 plus pounder no problem thankfully and thankfully I had previously purchased steelhead tag and stamp so it was retained legally.  I have also heard of someone who was getting into steelies with 5/6 weight while targeting whitefish with very small egg patterns...this time of year it doesn't matter what gear you're using or what you're trying to target, Steelheads will hit anything.  IF you're fishing on a river where steelhead are in, just get the dang tag wether you're targeting trouts whitefish chubs...whatever.

Regs do need to be clarified though imo it should be crystal clear that if youre fishing steelhead rivers after a certain date tag is mandatory...

treat all fish with respect this season, tight lines.

penn

« Reply #24 on: December 25, 2013, 03:56:04 PM »

So Fred's is misinforming the public then ? I agree the regs are somewhat vague . The part you posted Rod was exactly the part i was referring to already in my previous post  . I know it is under the classified waters section , but it some what vaguely does say in one sentence  "where steelhead are present a tag is required" not really being completely clear whether that part means only in classified waters or all waters .
At any rate I was only passing along info that Freds posted , and info(if true) that is important  for anyone fishing the Chilliwack this time of year . If Freds is posting false info , it needs to be corrected , but if they are right than those heading out need to know it. Like i already stated , I have a tag and am not worried about it myself and not interested in debating the matter further . Anyone concerned could phone Freds and ask them the source for their info . I certainly would not tell people something is okay unless certain myself of it's accuracy .

Steely

• Old Timer
  • Lovin' the Chrome
« Reply #25 on: December 25, 2013, 04:23:24 PM »

In my talks with a CO a year ago on my local flow he said you do not need a tag if you are clearly fishing for a different species. I was standing on a piece of water where steelhead are present however I had my 3wt fly rod in hand and was clearly fishing for cutthroat. Now that being said I had my tag, I just asked him the question out of curiosity. However I'll put this to you, your out there with a small spinning outfit tossing spoons for trout on the vedder when all of a sudden a steelhead grabs your spoon (seen this happen on a different flow). If a CO sees this and asked for your license you would prob have a hard time explaining your way out of that one. So as far as I'm concerned better to be safe then sorry and just get a tag. If your fishing the Harrison and somehow hook a steel then that's different as it's a fluke more then likely as cutties are the more dominate and also species of target. As far as Freds goes that wouldn't be the first time they posted false info so I'll just leave it at that.
« Last Edit: December 25, 2013, 04:26:25 PM by Steely »
Get Off Your Butt And Start Fishin'

blaydRnr

• Old Timer
« Reply #26 on: December 25, 2013, 04:33:16 PM »

at the start of every season i buy ALL my licenses and tags for both salt and fresh water...that's just me, but if a dad decides to take his kids out fishing, he has to have the basic license for any water ie Vedder/Chilliwack. However it would not make sense for him to purchase a conservation tag ie steelhead if he has no intention of targeting that species or just there to maybe help cast and show the kids how it's done.
« Last Edit: December 25, 2013, 04:35:33 PM by blaydRnr »

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #27 on: December 25, 2013, 04:50:53 PM »

I know it is under the classified waters section , but it some what vaguely does say in one sentence  "where steelhead are present a tag is required" not really being completely clear whether that part means only in classified waters or all waters .

This sentence makes it very clear that the mandatory tag requirement only applies to some classified waters.

STEELhEAD
In addition, a steelhead stamp is mandatory when fishing on most Classified Waters during certain specified periods, even when fishing for species other than steelhead.

penn

« Reply #28 on: December 26, 2013, 10:42:11 AM »

I called Freds myself today and brought this discussion to their attention . The guy I talked to told me that the Tag is not mandatory but they put it on there because they get people all the time trying to bend the rules and fish for Steelhead with out the tag on the "I'm not targeting them" technicality . They deal with it all the time and try get people to do the right thing , but are in a difficult grey area , with people from else where (ie.Americans but locals also) trying to bypass the tag .He did acknowledge their  report is not accurate and they will look at ti. They have tried to get govt to get rid of the grey areas but been unsuccessful so far .
So no you do not have to have a tag , but if you are trying bend the rules and fish for Steelies with out a tag , you may still get nailed by a CO who will determine by his judgement at what you are doing. This time of year Steelhead is the primary fishery on the Chilliwack ( yes I know other fish are still present) and it is lame trying to get out after them with out the tag and you should rightfully get nailed if that is what you are doing .

penn

« Reply #29 on: December 26, 2013, 10:47:15 AM »

This sentence makes it very clear that the mandatory tag requirement only applies to some classified waters.
Perhaps then the regs should be changed , so that if you are targeting trout their should be restrictions such as maybe max rod size , like maybe 6 foot , something that would be very difficult to play in a Steelie then .