Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: going to vedder tmr  (Read 10186 times)

koifish

going to vedder tmr
« on: December 25, 2013, 11:53:30 AM »

im going to vedder tmr do i need a stealhead tag? i was reading there fishing report and it said this  You MUST have your steelhead tag if you want to fish this river after December 1st!

so would i need a stealhead tag? if im not targeting that im going tmr and saturday i wanna try for bulls and cutthrout and rainbows so ya thanks....
merry christmas!

typhoon

• Old Timer
Re: going to vedder tmr
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2013, 12:10:04 PM »

Yes, buy the tag.

koifish

« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2013, 12:14:33 PM »

Oh wow……

Fishawn

« Reply #3 on: December 25, 2013, 12:17:47 PM »

From another thread...this was posted by Spawn Sack

"if you are fishing a trout set up and could convince a CO that you are not targeting steelhead, then you would be fine without a steelhead tag. Since it sounds like you will be targeting trout mainly but s/h too, I WOULD buy the s/h tag, then if you hook into a hatchery s/h you can keep it. Personally I would buy the tag regardless as the $ goes towards conservation, and you would not have the potential problem of not having the tag and trying to convince a CO that you are only trout fishing."

blaydRnr

• Old Timer
  • nothing like the first bite of the season
« Reply #4 on: December 25, 2013, 01:53:17 PM »

im going to vedder tmr do i need a stealhead tag? i was reading there fishing report and it said this  You MUST have your steelhead tag if you want to fish this river after December 1st!

Who ever posted that is full of it.

so would i need a stealhead tag? if im not targeting that im going tmr and saturday i wanna try for bulls and cutthrout and rainbows so ya thanks....
merry christmas!

http://www.env.gov.bc.ca/fw/fish/regulations/docs/1315/fishing_synopsis_2013-15.pdf

scroll down to page 7 and 8

you might as well buy a tag since you're targeting trout in general which of course steelhead is and unless you're using super lite gear and extra small hooks, you might find it hard convincing a c.o. of your intent...besides tis the season, why pass up the opportunity if you have gear than can handle these fish?!
« Last Edit: December 25, 2013, 01:55:35 PM by blaydRnr »

penn

« Reply #5 on: December 25, 2013, 02:09:34 PM »

According to Fred's Tackle you MUST have a Steelhead tag fishing the Chilliwack past Dec 1 . According to some forum members you don't . I would rather be safe than sorry . IMO the " I'm just targeting trout " angle won't fly (and shouldn't) unless it is specifically in the regs , otherwise it would be a grey area  that a whole bunch of guys may try to use as an excuse not to get a tag . How do you differentiate between "targeting trout" and Steelhead fishing ?

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #6 on: December 25, 2013, 02:21:04 PM »

How do you differentiate between "targeting trout" and Steelhead fishing ?

By the type of gear that you are using, which is how enforcement officers determine your intent before deciding whether you have committed a violation or not if you choose not to purchase a steelhead conservation surcharge on your freshwater fishing license.

blaydRnr

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: December 25, 2013, 02:22:14 PM »

According to Fred's Tackle you MUST have a Steelhead tag fishing the Chilliwack past Dec 1 . According to some forum members you don't . I would rather be safe than sorry . IMO the " I'm just targeting trout " angle won't fly (and shouldn't) unless it is specifically in the regs , otherwise it would be a grey area  that a whole bunch of guys may try to use as an excuse not to get a tag . How do you differentiate between "targeting trout" and Steelhead fishing ?

the regs are there please feel free to post where it says Chilliwack/Vedder requires you to have a steelhead tag after Dec. 1.

if you can find it, I'll be the first to apologize for my earlier post

firstlight

• Old Timer
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #8 on: December 25, 2013, 02:24:53 PM »

It is right in the regulations that you need a tag to fish the Vedder after Dec 1st.
Id say fish a different river or buy the tag.
If I was a C.O. I would ticket every person I seen with no tag.
Its pretty cut and dry imo.

firstlight

• Old Timer
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #9 on: December 25, 2013, 02:26:42 PM »

the regs are there please feel free to post where it says Chilliwack/Vedder requires you to have a steelhead tag after Dec. 1.

If you go to the fishing licence link that Rodney has on the front page you will see it in there where u buy your licence and tag etc.

leapin' tyee

• can't get enough
« Reply #10 on: December 25, 2013, 02:33:21 PM »

merry christmas!

Why you even asked.  Just do whatever is right..Grow up and have a nice day ;D

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #11 on: December 25, 2013, 02:37:49 PM »

It is right in the regulations that you need a tag to fish the Vedder after Dec 1st.

Where is this found? I just read it again and can't find it.

penn

« Reply #12 on: December 25, 2013, 02:40:49 PM »

The only part relating to requiring the tag was much further down in the link you posted , and it was in the area of classified waters , said that in certain waters , when steelhead are present , a tag is required . It never says otherwise in the area you refered too either . I'm not worried about it myself either as I have the Tag . Some one who doesn't have it and wants to fish the Chilliwack is the one who needs to check it more carefully . Having said that , Fred's has been putting it up on their website every day right here http://www.fredscustomtackle.com/Fishing-Report_ep_77.html

penn

« Reply #13 on: December 25, 2013, 02:46:37 PM »

By the type of gear that you are using, which is how enforcement officers determine your intent before deciding whether you have committed a violation or not if you choose not to purchase a steelhead conservation surcharge on your freshwater fishing license.
So specifically , what are the actual gear requirements that would make you legally fishing for trout instead of steelhead? eg. rod length? if so , what actual rod length is legal for not requiring the tag ? line size ? specific lures?Steelhead bite on pretty much anything a trout will . Where is this list of requirements found?

blaydRnr

• Old Timer
« Reply #14 on: December 25, 2013, 03:00:37 PM »

So specifically , what are the actual gear requirements that would make you legally fishing for trout instead of steelhead? eg. rod length? if so , what actual rod length is legal for not requiring the tag ? line size ? specific lures?Steelhead bite on pretty much anything a trout will . Where is this list of requirements found?

Have you ever fished for steelhead? we're not talking about fish under 12 inches. Obviously, if you're using gear that can handle more than a couple of pounds or 50cm in length...you're more than likely to be questioned by any law enforcement...you'd have to be a fool to think otherwise.