Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Having a hard time getting motivated to go fishing......  (Read 10191 times)

Big Steel

• Old Timer
  • Searching for early Steel.....
Having a hard time getting motivated to go fishing......
« on: February 28, 2012, 09:03:51 AM »

So I have only been out fishing once in the last 3 weeks or so... I live 5 mins from the river.  Well twice if you count the hr after work one day. I was gonna go yesterday morning, but went outside and said F that.. don't feel like freezing my hands this morning... then this morning I told the wife I was going to go out for a couple hrs and proceeded to come downstairs and play with the dogs for an hr... and now I am writing this post...lol  Not sure why I can't get motivated to go out.... Maybe I need more gear?  Springs coming and I have stuff I want to do to the car?  Yet I don't seem to be doing that either.... Maybe I have been soured a bit by being intentionally low holed the last 2 times out by the same 2 cranky old bastards that scowl and give me dirty looks... making me want to throw them in the river....lol  I don't know... anyhow... I am sitting here typing this instead of fishing....  :-\
Fishing and Cars.... gotta love it!

rhino

• Old Timer
Re: Having a hard time getting motivated to go fishing......
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2012, 09:43:32 AM »

you need fishing companion.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2012, 10:00:31 AM »

You've caught too many in a short time! Time to stay home for the rest of the season to get over the steelhead overdose! ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

cutthroat22

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2012, 10:01:34 AM »

Just look at the weather forecast for the next week...looks like this morning is your window of opportunity.

Brian the fisherman

« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2012, 10:14:58 AM »

I don't know why you stopped durring the prime time of the season but heres a little something.. 8)
I've seen alot of pics from you my friend. yet we're still awaiting the 20lb+ pics..  ::)
can't get a 20 lb fish sitting at your computer 
hope you get out soon. too many friendly guys are getting pushed out by crankey fellas. just hook one and make em even more green in the face!
good luck
Tight lines to all

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2012, 11:42:07 AM »

I'm sure we all go through that stage. Nothing to worry about

frozensalmon

« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2012, 11:45:50 AM »

after getting a fresh fish you will be up all night again
unlike me, 100km away the river....i have a hard time visit that river a lot

:'(
more coho, more coho... ::)

Big Steel

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2012, 11:54:29 AM »

Thanks guys... I'm not on the catching pace I was earlier this year... but I'm still catching some. Got one and rolled one last time out.  It's weird... I'm actually at home hanging pictures and doing things I have been putting off for a long time..lol  Making the wife happy... Not sure about me.  Hmmm.....  :D

Sterling C

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2012, 11:59:09 AM »

It's called the law of diminishing marginal utility. Each fish you catch will have less and less value to you. What has happened to you is that you've reached the point where catching another fish is less valuable to you than playing with the dogs or staying warm inside.

When I get like this I look to change things up or to give myself other goal/objective/challenges.

This can take on many forms such as, spending the entire day fishing a new technique (fly fishing, swinging spoons), fishing entirely new water that you've never been to before or never had success on, capturing fish for the brood stock program, fishing only big fish water in an attempt to find a derby winner, taking someone new out fishing and gettting them into their first ever fish (with the way you've been posting I'm sure you wouldn't have a hard time finding people wanting to take you up on that one).
Actions speak louder than words.

firebird

« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2012, 12:03:18 PM »

Enjoy your time away from the river and getting caught up on other stuff. When it feels like you have to force yourself to do something, a break usually helps. I've gone through phases of disinterest lasting months but the fishing bug always eventually returns.

RG

« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2012, 01:50:51 PM »

I was supposed to go fishing today, instead I'm getting an appendectomy.  Go fish!!!!

Dave

• Old Timer
« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2012, 02:54:59 PM »

Enjoy your time away from the river and getting caught up on other stuff. When it feels like you have to force yourself to do something, a break usually helps. I've gone through phases of disinterest lasting months but the fishing bug always eventually returns.
I hope so :)  I've been steelhead fishing a total of 4 times this entire season; I live 10 minutes away and walk my dog daily along the Vedder but I guess after over 50 years of fishing it, maybe that's enough?  Hope to get my mojo back soon when it's 2 hander time and fewer anglers ....

Big Steel

• Old Timer
« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2012, 04:36:36 PM »

It's called the law of diminishing marginal utility. Each fish you catch will have less and less value to you. What has happened to you is that you've reached the point where catching another fish is less valuable to you than playing with the dogs or staying warm inside.

When I get like this I look to change things up or to give myself other goal/objective/challenges.

This can take on many forms such as, spending the entire day fishing a new technique (fly fishing, swinging spoons), fishing entirely new water that you've never been to before or never had success on, capturing fish for the brood stock program, fishing only big fish water in an attempt to find a derby winner, taking someone new out fishing and gettting them into their first ever fish (with the way you've been posting I'm sure you wouldn't have a hard time finding people wanting to take you up on that one).
Yeah that's kind of along the lines of where my head is at I guess.   :)

brysonk

« Reply #13 on: February 28, 2012, 05:35:20 PM »

Pick up a spey rod, that'll keep you busy and challenged for awhile.  ;)

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #14 on: February 28, 2012, 07:25:28 PM »

I hope so :)  I've been steelhead fishing a total of 4 times this entire season; I live 10 minutes away and walk my dog daily along the Vedder but I guess after over 50 years of fishing it, maybe that's enough?  Hope to get my mojo back soon when it's 2 hander time and fewer anglers ....
Too much time spent at the Long Table aand studing about fish farms. ;D ;D