Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Bald is beautiful but so is having some tread. Got your snow fins on yet?

Yes
- 38 (59.4%)
Not likely to
- 24 (37.5%)
Booked in the first chance they can get me in
- 2 (3.1%)
I don't have a vehicle
- 0 (0%)
I don't have a vehicle or bicycle
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 62

Author Topic: Got your snow tires on yet  (Read 10383 times)

troutbreath

• Old Timer
  • I does Christy
Got your snow tires on yet
« on: November 17, 2011, 10:06:09 PM »

Pretty well snowing here the same time as last year. Weird or what. :-\
another SLICE of dirty fish perhaps?

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
Re: Got your snow tires on yet
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2011, 10:11:24 PM »

Took my dog out for a walk this evening and was shocked to see snow falling. I live at sea level so I can imagine there will be some accumulations at higher levels.

Damien

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2011, 10:22:06 PM »

Not yet.  Still another two weeks of positive temps and rain in the forecast.

I have tires mounted and balanced and ready for me to bolt them on.  I do not participate in the retard rush that happens every year.

Ordered a set two years ago from www.tirerack.com (which came with ALLOY wheels), shipped them to Hagen's of Blaine, saved $500 for the exact same tires and rims (ugly black steel wheels) at the local dealer here.  $400 cheaper than Costco and Canadian Tire for comparable tires.

frozensalmon

« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2011, 10:23:23 PM »

snow in here tonight mid-vancouver
more coho, more coho... ::)

DavidD

• Fourth Year Apprentice Fisherman
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2011, 07:20:12 AM »

Put them on a couple of nights ago once the forecast had snow/sleet for this mornings commute.  Quite surprised this morning just how fast the commuters were travelling.  Most vehicles were doing 25-40k over the posted limit (60) on the Mary Hill bypass.  I know cause I was doing 80 trailing comfortably behind a big rig.
Save the Whales - Collect the Whole Set!!!

troutbreath

• Old Timer
  • I does Christy
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2011, 09:39:13 AM »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iGy3AYLHB-E

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yn2ZdWZuND0

I hate people speeding in bad road conditions. They basically are committing manslaughter.
another SLICE of dirty fish perhaps?

milo

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2011, 10:43:09 AM »

Not likely.

Wife and I drive an older Pathfinder (with real 4x4 on demand), so when the white stuff sticks around, the 4-wheel drive gets engaged and so far it has been great with our Michelin all season radials.

Last night I was leaving a parking lot on Kingsway with about 2 inches of the white stuff on the ground. The truck, naturally, tended to skid in 2X4, but as soon as I engaged all four wheels, it was a smooth ride. Up and down the snowy hills all the way to Capitol Hill...no problem.

More important than snow tires is to adjust the speed to the weather conditions. Some people think that having snow tires enables them to drive fast in snowy/slushy conditions. BIG MISTAKE.

BIG T

• Old Timer
  • One crazy fisherman!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2011, 11:16:35 AM »

Not likely.

More important than snow tires is to adjust the speed to the weather conditions. Some people think that having snow tires enables them to drive fast in snowy/slushy conditions. BIG MISTAKE.

[/quot

Remember 4 wheel drive can get better traction and drive faster, but stopping distance is almost the same as regular vehicle.(even with traction control and abs system kick in)......This is why you see a lot of 4 wheelers down to the ditch. So drive safe.....
« Last Edit: November 18, 2011, 11:22:41 AM by BIG T »

qescott

« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2011, 11:50:37 AM »

I guess this ends my wet wading season. :(

IronNoggin

• Old Timer
  • Any River... Any Time....
« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2011, 12:49:09 PM »

Been hunting in the Mountains for Weeks! Put the super aggressive (snow/ice rated) grabbers on the new 4x4 as soon as I started climbing the hills. Nice to have them in place when the snow did hit. BTW, she climbs tough hills with the snow on them like it wasn't even there! Sweet!  ;D

Cheers,
Nog

oddjob

• woof woof
« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2011, 02:55:05 PM »

If you have a car with front wheel drive , can you get away with snow tires in the front only ???? The local tire store says you have to the all around not just the front . I need your opinion on this question .

fic

• Old Timer
« Reply #11 on: November 18, 2011, 04:07:28 PM »

If you have a car with front wheel drive , can you get away with snow tires in the front only ???? The local tire store says you have to the all around not just the front . I need your opinion on this question .
It doesn't sound safe to drive only with front snow tires.  Imagine your front ones spinning at a different speed than your back tires because it can grip better.  Or you front tires are spinning while your back tires become a toboggan. You shouldn't go cheap if safety is involved.  Get a cheaper fishing rod instead  ;D

Nitroholic

« Reply #12 on: November 18, 2011, 04:30:40 PM »

When you buy only 2 tires for a FWD car they put the new tires on the rear wheels to prevent oversteer

bigblockfox

• Old Timer
« Reply #13 on: November 18, 2011, 04:33:20 PM »

accelerating will be fine but stopping will be a problem. you would hate to loose control because your rear tires aren't getting enough grip during braking. formula dist on river rd in delta has a varity of low cost snow tires for people on a budget.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2011, 04:35:27 PM by bigblockfox »

camtheman

« Reply #14 on: November 18, 2011, 05:12:12 PM »

somewhat deviating from the original posts but i would highly recommend the hankook ipike tire
i liked them so much on my sprint that i put them on my ranger