Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: missing on the river  (Read 10367 times)

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
Re: missing on the river
« Reply #15 on: August 25, 2010, 08:40:19 PM »

The problem is that alot of people wade out in order to further their cast. Cast out a long distance does not necessarily equate to catching more.

M.Dean

« Reply #16 on: August 25, 2010, 08:51:04 PM »

What a tragic end to what should have been a perfect day fishing! I've only fished the Frazer a few times, but from what I've seen a lot of people under estimate the power and speed of it's water!  My hats off to the guys that helped rescue the one gentleman, and my heart is with the family and friends of the poor soul that didn't make it. M.Dean

samw

« Reply #17 on: August 25, 2010, 09:51:20 PM »

Rod's link to the story also has links to other recent drownings...
:
:41 yr old Ist Nations man drown when he fell into the Fraser north of Yale...

Now I know why a Search and Rescue boat launched right where I was fishing on Aug 12th in Hope and a group of people and about 10 RCMP vehicles showed up. 

bbronswyk2000

• Old Timer
  • Not affilaiated with any club.....
« Reply #18 on: August 25, 2010, 09:58:35 PM »

What is going on out there, are these fisherman who are drowning wearing waders? How does this happen, where is the common sense?
* Dont stand on a ledge with waders, dont cross water without a belt. Wear a freaking life jacket in the boat, there are gravel bars poping up everywhere in the Fraser now. *

August24th, A man by the name of Mark Findley is still missing after tubing the Upper Chilliwack River.

He wasnt wearing waders and just slipped on some rocks and into the water. He was a good man. Do you wear a PFD when on the river all the time? I dont but I am going to now. So if you dont I guess you are like most of us and dont use common sense.......

Belong to the "4 F Club"
Fishing, Football, Fitness and Family

sassygrams

« Reply #19 on: August 26, 2010, 07:43:55 AM »

My condolences to the gentlemans family and loved ones.  Such a tragedy  :(  Please be careful everyone
"Rivers and the inhabitants of the watery elements are made for wise men to contemplate and for fools to pass by without consideration." - Izaac Walton

fic

• Old Timer
« Reply #20 on: August 26, 2010, 08:35:21 AM »

He wasnt wearing waders and just slipped on some rocks and into the water. He was a good man. Do you wear a PFD when on the river all the time? I dont but I am going to now. So if you dont I guess you are like most of us and dont use common sense.......

I didn't realize you can slip on a rock and drown on the Fraser!  I don't remember seeing anybody wear a PFD while shore fishing. The current looks pretty slow on the lower Fraser and looks like it might even be possible to take a swim.

YetiHunter

« Reply #21 on: August 26, 2010, 09:30:01 AM »

My condolences to the family and his friends. It's been a deadly year on the water in this province.

I read somewhere that fishing is the most dangerous sport in the country. It sure is looking like that this year. When I think of all the chances I took when I was younger, just to catch a fish, I realize I am lucky to be alive today.

Stay safe everyone

andrew5

« Reply #22 on: August 26, 2010, 11:24:14 AM »

Isn't that the truth... I fly fish, often solo, and how many times have I taken some "iffy" chances just to get to a promising pool...

if you have your belt on with your chest waders, how much does this improve your chances of getting to shore?

milo

• Old Timer
« Reply #23 on: August 26, 2010, 12:53:24 PM »

Isn't that the truth... I fly fish, often solo, and how many times have I taken some "iffy" chances just to get to a promising pool...

if you have your belt on with your chest waders, how much does this improve your chances of getting to shore?

A lot.
In fact, I wouldn't be here typing this if it hadn't been for my wading belt snugly fitted around the waist.
I took the mother of all dunks in the upper vedder a few years ago in late January - literally went under. The thermal shock wouldn't let me breathe for a good 10 seconds or so. Fortunately, the waders did NOT fill with water and the air trapped under the belt in the waders actually kept me afloat. After a good 60-70 yards of floating downstream (legs first), I got to some slower water and slowly crawled back to shore. Scary experience!
Please wear a wading belt with your waders at all times , and invest in a PFD. It makes the difference between life and death more often than not.

andrew5

« Reply #24 on: August 26, 2010, 02:11:59 PM »

is a tight wading belt a good enough substitue for a PFD? I'm not trying to encourage not getting them, but money is tight. I have heard the same thing, that you just point your feet down river and wait for the slack water... sure dont want to test this out though!

milo

• Old Timer
« Reply #25 on: August 26, 2010, 02:28:12 PM »

is a tight wading belt a good enough substitue for a PFD? I'm not trying to encourage not getting them, but money is tight. I have heard the same thing, that you just point your feet down river and wait for the slack water... sure dont want to test this out though!

No, it's not a substitute, but it is better than not having a belt.
The PFD helps you to keep your head above the water with almost no effort. Even if you are rendered unconscious, the PFD will keep your head above the water and BREATHING.

bbronswyk2000

• Old Timer
  • Not affilaiated with any club.....
« Reply #26 on: August 26, 2010, 03:52:29 PM »

The body was found near Mission today

Belong to the "4 F Club"
Fishing, Football, Fitness and Family

chris gadsden

• Old Timer

marmot

• Old Timer
« Reply #28 on: August 28, 2010, 06:16:44 PM »

Your life is worth more than a couple hundred bucks.  For anyone who doesn't like the idea of wearing a big bulky PFD, invest in a pair of SOSpenders (I have the Mustang inflatables).  You won't even notice they are on.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2010, 06:18:52 PM by marmot »

cohojoe

« Reply #29 on: August 28, 2010, 08:43:51 PM »

I just bought a new pfd from  mountain co op.   Going to wear it now for sure when ever I go fishing or boating.    I had my one chance at drowning at the skagit last summer.     It was not my day to drown .      Now I feel really sad for those familiies who lose a loved one.    Price of my new  PFD  $ 100,   my life  priceless