Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: miss clips  (Read 7156 times)

fly fisher

• i fish roe roe and more roe
miss clips
« on: March 01, 2010, 05:44:12 PM »

I was fishing yesterday on the vedder and a guy beside me hooked and land a steely with half of its apidose fin missing and fully healed. he then said it was a miss clip. I and some other people  were asked by him if he should keep it and we all didn't know if it was a hatch. I was wondering if miss clips actually happen and if you can keep the fish. this guy said he has seen miss clips before two. thanks .Fly.
There's a fine line between fishing and standing on the shore like an idiot

jetboatjim

• Old Timer
  • catching poachers.
Re: miss clips
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2010, 05:47:49 PM »

I thought the regs CLEARLY state " a missing fin and a healed scar" ?
not half a missing fin.

fly fisher

• i fish roe roe and more roe
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2010, 05:52:51 PM »

this was a clean cut and it had skin over it. also he released the fish.
There's a fine line between fishing and standing on the shore like an idiot

bederko

• Fish ethically, always....
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2010, 06:02:25 PM »

If in doubt, let it go. Who wants to mistakenly kill a wild fish?  When a clipping crew is marking 130,000 fish they're bound to miss a few but it's always better to be safe than sorry...
A river is never quite silent; it can never, of its very nature, be quite still; it is never quite the same from one day to the next. It has its own life and its own beauty, and the creatures it nourishes are alive and beautiful also. Perhaps fishing is only an excuse to be near rivers. - Haig-Brown

BNF861

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2010, 06:05:15 PM »

Yes I have seen and caught misclipped fish before. I have always released them. As Jim said the regs  say "a missing fin and a healed scar" , I would hate to be in a senario that you think its misclipped and its wild.

blaydRnr

• Old Timer
  • nothing like the first bite of the season
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2010, 10:50:28 PM »

perfectly legal to retain misclipped  fish...the scarring will be evident when inspecting the dorsal... the regs state "missing adipose" so if there's an obvious healed scar where an attempt was made to cut the dorsal, it constitutes a hatchery.

yamadirt 426

« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2010, 10:53:10 PM »

Bonk . Then let the lawyers figure it out.  :o You might just get  away with it, maybe ...                                                        

jk

aquaholic

« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2010, 06:09:29 AM »

perfectly legal to retain misclipped  fish...the scarring will be evident when inspecting the dorsal... the regs state "missing adipose" so if there's an obvious healed scar where an attempt was made to cut the dorsal, it constitutes a hatchery.

Dorsal or Adipose  ;) lets not start confusing people

bederko

• Fish ethically, always....
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2010, 08:51:00 PM »

Yeah great advice blaydRnr. >:(  This is plain ignorant and the fact that you have the fins wrong just makes it that much worse... Sorry Rod, some guys just have to be called out, we don't need any of the beginners following advice like this.
A river is never quite silent; it can never, of its very nature, be quite still; it is never quite the same from one day to the next. It has its own life and its own beauty, and the creatures it nourishes are alive and beautiful also. Perhaps fishing is only an excuse to be near rivers. - Haig-Brown

blaydRnr

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2010, 09:45:22 PM »

Dorsal or Adipose  ;) lets not start confusing people

sorry about that... let me be more specific..."dorsal" referring to the backside rear of the fish...adipose is the fleshy fin found between the dorsal fin and caudal (tail)...mainly found on the salmonid species.

blaydRnr

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2010, 09:54:36 PM »

Yeah great advice blaydRnr. >:(  This is plain ignorant and the fact that you have the fins wrong just makes it that much worse... Sorry Rod, some guys just have to be called out, we don't need any of the beginners following advice like this.

slip of words...but a simple reading of the regs would have shown that... afterall, i also quoted it as "ADIPOSE".

so if what i wrote was MISCONSTRUED then NO HARM would have come to any fish because THEY DON'T CLIP THE DORSAL FIN....DUMB*SS!

and if you're so passionate about getting the facts impeccably right why didn't you make an attempt to correct me rather than bash my good intent... SO NOW IT'S MY TURN TO CALL YOU OUT... i see nothing on your post that was remotely productive.

thanx Aquaholic for taking the high road.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2010, 10:29:35 PM by blaydRnr »

younggun

• Old Timer
« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2010, 11:21:01 PM »

dont' hi jack the thread. If a fish can be identified as a for sure misS clip, meaning the scar is not fully healed flush with the back of the fish, I believe it's legal to take the fish. New guys, and everyone in general, take a good long look before you give a fish the rock shampoo. If adipose is there intact, send her back.
Fish killer 101

JordsyU

« Reply #12 on: March 03, 2010, 10:37:50 AM »

I agree with bederko, why take the risk? A fish could have damage to the Adipose fin at an early life stage and have it heal over. Many new fishers can easily mistake this for a hatchery fish. Also, the last thing you want is having someone beach a fish and taking 20 min to decide whether that fin is clipped or not ( I have seen it before). So make it easy, if the fin is not completely missing let it go.   

Just my two cents
Beako for Life

azafai

« Reply #13 on: March 03, 2010, 10:55:20 AM »

clear
if you are sure it was a hatchery and you see clearly the signs it is a keeper.

typhoon

• Old Timer
« Reply #14 on: March 03, 2010, 11:23:21 AM »

Jim is right. From the regs:
hatchery trout … in some waters, hatchery
trout may be harvested but wild trout must
be released. In these waters, hatchery trout
are marked before stocking by removal of
their adipose fin (see illustration on p. 10).
Therefore, these hatchery trout must have
a healed scar in place of the missing fin.

If there is anything there that looks like a fin it is not a hatchery fish according to the law and it must be released.
I doesn't matter if it is a clean cut, or if it is 1/2 a fin, or 1/4 of a fin.