Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Coquitlam River  (Read 10169 times)

Bavarian Raven

Coquitlam River
« on: September 20, 2009, 10:42:52 AM »

before i start, let me say that i know this river is endangered and that is why i dont fish it very often (once a year, for old time sake), but anyways i headed out there today for a half hour near the railway bridge. caught a 14 inch wild cutthroat, and lost another two trout around the 12 inch mark.  ;D ( <-- lol damned barbless hooks)

anyways, i was surprised at how the trout were biting today (and that i even caught one, let along loosing 2 more nice fish) and was wondering (for curiosity sake), how often (if ever) is the coquitlam river stocked with trout?  ???

Hollis

Re: Coquitlam River
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2009, 12:16:45 PM »

Great to here you tagged a few. The Coquitlam river does not stock with trout, unfortunatley
The Fish Wisperer

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2009, 01:27:58 PM »

Trout stocking does not take place in individual tributaries in the Lower Mainland, but there is a cutthroat trout stocking program in the Fraser Valley where majority of the fish are stocked in the Harrison region. These fish travel to where the food is so they maybe found in anywhere along the Fraser River and its tributaries.

Here's more information on the Fraser Valley cutthroat trout breeding and stocking program, done at the Fraser Valley Trout Hatchery:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1QkOu15rjXM

bbronswyk2000

• Old Timer
  • Not affilaiated with any club.....
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2009, 01:34:31 PM »

Trout stocking does not take place in individual tributaries in the Lower Mainland, but there is a cutthroat trout stocking program in the Fraser Valley where majority of the fish are stocked in the Harrison region. These fish travel to where the food is so they maybe found in anywhere along the Fraser River and its tributaries.

Here's more information on the Fraser Valley cutthroat trout breeding and stocking program, done at the Fraser Valley Trout Hatchery:

Not entirely true. They do stock the Alouette River as I have seen it first hand. I believe its even shown on www.gofishbc.com

Belong to the "4 F Club"
Fishing, Football, Fitness and Family

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2009, 01:36:48 PM »

That's why I said majority. ;D I'm not entirely familiar with the stocking part of the program, but bederko on the forum has been in charge of the program in the past so he would be able to provide all the information when he sees this thread.

Bavarian Raven

« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2009, 01:45:42 PM »

Quote from: Rodney on Today at 01:27:58 PM

Not entirely true. They do stock the Alouette River as I have seen it first hand. I believe its even shown on www.gofishbc.com

thanks. i was reading the regulations before hand and noted only two hatchery trout are allowed per day (between 20-30cm). hence the reason for my question. thanks for the qucik reply 8)