Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Gigantic Salmon Found in California River  (Read 10387 times)

devon42

Re: Gigantic Salmon Found in California River
« Reply #30 on: November 05, 2008, 06:20:12 PM »

biggest fish i have ever seen other then sturgeon would be a blast to fight something that size

HOOK

• Old Timer
« Reply #31 on: November 06, 2008, 06:07:07 PM »

ok now after seeing the size of the mouth on that 96lb'er  :o im thinking that original picture might not be fake. that fish was rediculously large. I think i would have thrown it back, I mean the only reason i kept that huge one in my pic was because it went to an East Indian family BBQ  ;D (work friend asked me to catch him a big one LOL) or it would have gone back also. I dont eat them unless they are 30lbs or less.........but i rather them be 20 or less  ;)
Check out our new blog

http://funonthefly.blogspot.ca/

younggun

• Old Timer
« Reply #32 on: November 06, 2008, 10:09:54 PM »

i htink an 80lber would be possible, the harrison gets 80's and these fish are harrison stock, they all return to the fraser, the only difference is the river that they're released from
Fish killer 101

adriaticum

• Old Timer
« Reply #33 on: November 07, 2008, 07:11:02 PM »

Take what ever a fisherman tells you his fish weighs and multiply by 1/2.  ;)

CALI 2 B.C.

« Reply #34 on: November 08, 2008, 04:04:59 AM »

Thats right by home for me..anderson is about a 40 min drive from chico.as far as i know the sacramento river record is 88 lbs.It is the fraser of california.Except for the bass and striper i there ;D good to see some big moster fish close to home batteling up that far

famous people walk on red carpet because theyre famous...me i walk on toilet paper because im the $h!^

buck

« Reply #35 on: November 09, 2008, 09:25:03 AM »

Over the years seining brood stock for the Chilliwack Hatchery we have never caught fish the size that are being quoted by a number of anglers. We have have probably caught in excess of
20,000 fish over twenty years. We routinely weigh large fish that enter the hatchery and the largest to date weighted 45 lbs. This fish when it first entered the system was probably over 50 lbs.
We have caught fish that we did not use for brood stock that we estimated to be over 50lbs.. These fish were released back into the river. Are there larger fish? More than likely but I'm a little
skeptical when anglers are telling me about the 50, 60, and 70 lbs that they are seeing caught. 

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #36 on: November 09, 2008, 12:00:29 PM »

Over the years seining brood stock for the Chilliwack Hatchery we have never caught fish the size that are being quoted by a number of anglers. We have have probably caught in excess of
20,000 fish over twenty years. We routinely weigh large fish that enter the hatchery and the largest to date weighted 45 lbs. This fish when it first entered the system was probably over 50 lbs.
We have caught fish that we did not use for brood stock that we estimated to be over 50lbs.. These fish were released back into the river. Are there larger fish? More than likely but I'm a little
skeptical when anglers are telling me about the 50, 60, and 70 lbs that they are seeing caught. 

There you have it.

Eagleye

• Old Timer
« Reply #37 on: November 09, 2008, 05:29:24 PM »

I believe there are 50lb + fish in the Vedder.  A friend of mine told me of a fish that broke two guys rods and bent his 6/0 hook he estimated to be 70lbs.  Unfortunately he was unable to land it but he said it was huge.

BigCoho

• Roe Wizard
« Reply #38 on: November 09, 2008, 05:33:07 PM »

About 6-7 years ago I watched you hatchery guys set out a drift net at the Keith Willson bridge... In the mix there was 1 spring that was measured and weighed/recorded at 65lbs. Biggest spring I have personally seen at the Vedder

hue-nut

• Old Timer
« Reply #39 on: November 09, 2008, 09:19:54 PM »

6/0 hook!! thats a big hook for a little river, i guess u gott go big if you want the 60, 70, 80, pounders....people get mad enough if you have a longer leader than 10 inches, I cant imagine what they would say if they saw me with a 6/0

hue-nut

• Old Timer
« Reply #40 on: November 09, 2008, 09:22:05 PM »

I also saw a dead 45 to 50 pounder at the Stave on Wednesday.

buck

« Reply #41 on: November 10, 2008, 09:33:35 AM »

BIGCOHO
Your info on the 65 lb chinook is wrong. We were conducting a Mark/Recapture program on the Chilliwack River and tagged around 2000 chinook. All the fish were measured for length but none were weighted.
As I said before we have not come across any fish that size in the Chilliwack River. Anglers tend to over estimate the size of fish they are looking at. How can you estimate the size of a fish when it breaks you off in the middle of the river? At our open house we placed a 35 lb chinook on a display table and asked visitors to guess the weight. We had estimates from 35 lbs to 90 lbs. Most were on the high
side. Over the years we have also conducted dead recoveries of chinook carcasses so we could estimate the population size of spawning chinook. I personally and the rest of the crew have never recovered
fish even close to sixty lbs and we have recovered thousands.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #42 on: November 10, 2008, 10:51:30 AM »

Buck, maybe he is talking about the pink salmon brood collection by the Seymour Salmon Society, which has always been done by KWB if I remember correctly?

troutbreath

• Old Timer
  • I does Christy
« Reply #43 on: November 10, 2008, 07:06:54 PM »

"I personally and the rest of the crew have never recovered fish even close to sixty lbs and we have recovered thousands."

My philosophy as well. Why break your back hauling 60 lb plus fish back to the wagon when you can grab a few 6 pounders. Leave the heavy hauling for the pints and wings. :)
another SLICE of dirty fish perhaps?

salmonsturgeontrout

« Reply #44 on: November 11, 2008, 10:20:33 PM »

I have a copy of "The Steelheader News" Late Fall 2002 and on the cover is a photo of a young guy holding a mammoth chinook and it is labelled on the front as 62lbs. from the Vedder, looks like it is KWB area