Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: TELUS-vs-SHAW  (Read 10314 times)

BwiBwi

• Old Timer
Re: TELUS-vs-SHAW
« Reply #15 on: November 04, 2008, 07:04:24 PM »

Sorry freddy2596, cable IS bandwidth sharing it operates in a fashion such as hub and not as a switch.  Every cable modem is only capable of a given bandwidth.  The more people the slower it gets. Cable companies will not change their termial everytime one or two more customers are added to the node.  It's just the nature of cable design.

lulu

« Reply #16 on: November 04, 2008, 09:31:41 PM »

Major difference with TELUS and Shaw home phone is technology.  I can't speak for quality of Shaw as I've never tried.  But from what I heard/know...TELUS' phone is powered from their Central office...that is why in a power failure, your home phone will still work.  Shaw has a backup battery but this doesn't last long from what I heard...somebody correct me if I'm wrong. 
The other thing I have heard is about 911 service.  Unless things have improved, I have heard of emergency services being dispatched to wrong addresses for those who use IP technology phones.  TELUS is regulated by the Gov't to provide 911 service, always have, always will.  The newer providers don't use the same 911 service as TELUS and therefore don't have the experience in it.  Another issue I have heard is if you live in an apartment building, there are sometimes issues with your enterphone front door entry system when you use Shaw but I believe they have a fix for this now.

As for price, if you use long distance, I believe Shaw has some great Long distance plans.  I like my hardline connection, don't make any LD calls and I like the security from the infrequent power outages we face in the LM so I stick with TELUS.
As for internet, TELUS is starting to lay fibre optics...starting with High rises/apartments and next with new single family homes.  (Similar to what Verizon is doing down south).  This will allow speeds upwards of 100mbps one day...eventually even 1000mbps for apartments.

testo84

• officially a hardware addict
« Reply #17 on: November 05, 2008, 12:42:48 AM »

quality ?
uh... it depends on where you live. its all the same just get the promotion package and which one is the cheapest IMO. If you live in a very busy area , I suggest you go with telus because shaw will suck especially the internet because of shared bandwidth ( although it says 10 mbps but you know how expensive is bandwidth ), as the phone both are same because i have both and never experience any differences in terms of quality unless you are some kind of musician that are sensitive to sound.

so summary

phone = same same same same except the marketing of course ( even a shaw guy told me its all same who cares about telus or shaw phone )
internet = depends on area if you use shaw you have faster connection when you live in a quiet area ( of course because of that shared bandwith ) , but telus you will have a dedicated single DSL phone line ( yes it is good when the BGP isnt populated with bittorrent users since telus 5 GB / month limitation is just a BS created by them, while shaw enforces it unless you get an extreme package one for $58 )
« Last Edit: November 05, 2008, 12:45:15 AM by testo84 »
hardware == fish

testo84

• officially a hardware addict
« Reply #18 on: November 05, 2008, 12:51:55 AM »

Yes as you said more saturated.  Unfortunately the way they do it is guesstimate no. of users in each area and allocated bandwidth accordingly.  Further upload is only about 700 to 900kb for cable.  Cable's performance and stability in TV is definitely better.  As cable's max through put can be as high as 25MB.  Telus ADSL can only be 12MB if you are close to it's remote site.  Unless in the future they switch to VDSL otherwise there isn't enough bandwidth for TV.

are you saying kb or kbps ? get your fact right its kbps before you start an argument that makes your argument looks really weak :)
just my 1 cent
hardware == fish

BwiBwi

• Old Timer
« Reply #19 on: November 05, 2008, 01:26:14 AM »

You're funny Testo, we're talking about through put everyone knows.   ::)
« Last Edit: November 05, 2008, 01:30:24 AM by BwiBwi »

janders

« Reply #20 on: November 12, 2008, 02:54:43 PM »

Telus has caused me more headaches than i wish to even begin with. Their costumer service is my biggest complaint because normally if you call their tech support its someone reading off a computer prompt telling them what to ask and how to answer. and when they contract out for ACTUAL tech support where sometimes you dont even get called back. Or if they do call and your not home they dont leave a message with a call back number or anything.

Shaw isn't perfect either but Telus has alot to fix before ill ever go back to them.

bbronswyk2000

• Old Timer
  • Not affilaiated with any club.....
« Reply #21 on: November 12, 2008, 08:10:30 PM »

Telus = sitting on the phone for 60 minutes waiting for someone to finally get to you
Shaw = no more than 5-10 minutes

We have Shaw for eveyrthing. We make lots of long distance calls and have unlimited long distance on our plan. Our total phone bill/month with unlimited long distance is $50/month. With Telus our phone bill was over $100/month.

Its a no brainer to me.

Belong to the "4 F Club"
Fishing, Football, Fitness and Family

jgb

« Reply #22 on: November 15, 2008, 02:20:21 PM »

My experience is that Telus is a nightmare to deal with.  When I've called in before I've been put on hold for 10mins, then transfered to another department to sit on hold again, only to be transfered again.  Terrible company to deal with if there are problems, but that said it is now working fine.  So Telus is fine as long as you don't have to deal with them.  I plan on leaving them for shaw once my CONTRACT runs out.

salmon river

« Reply #23 on: November 16, 2008, 02:58:27 AM »

Telus was ok but I switched to SHAW because Telus people were not so friendly and that stupid long distance fee even when made no ld calls..

I have had no problems with the phone and SHAW's regular high speed seems quicker than Telus but the most important thing is SHAW employees are very friendly on the phone and even the fellow that came in to hook my phone and internet up.

I have cable, phone and net with shaw and I have been very happy and even when I call for 'stupid' questions ha ha the people I have talked to are very friendly. So I am happy. Plus you save a couple bucks with the bundling.

For the phone I just got their bare bottom one (Digital phone basic) a phone line and call display for $20.95 a month 4¢ a minute long distance for when I call Kamloops and Fort St. John. No charges for long distance when you do not even make LD like telus and the price is lower.

I did have the 'lite' for a couple months for 29.95 but I never used any of the other features.

I also still have an old answering machine I bought many years ago at Woodwards (Remember them?)  so i am happy.

adriaticum

• Old Timer
« Reply #24 on: November 16, 2008, 09:32:17 AM »

I've been with Shaw for many years and cable Internet from Shaw is a much more reliable service than ADSL from Telus.
Being an IT professional I've seen Telus deteriorate over the years. They used to be a good company when they moved into BC, but not anymore.
Telus is on the way out. Their services are deteriorating, customer service is non-existent and their cellular technology (CDMA) is being discontinued.
They will have to find ways to switch to GSM (what Rogers is using) and that will make or break them. With the economy being what it is, if they don't have cash they will struggle.
They are losing customers to Rogers at a high rate and they can't afford to wait to switch to GSM, they also can't afford to do it.
Catch 22.
Whether the service is 0.5 Mbps or 1.5 Mbps, doesn't really matter. Most people don't notice.
What they notice is service outages and customer service attitudes at Telus.
I personally switched my cell phone from Telus to Rogers when they announced they would sell XXX content on their network (which they later reversed because people were switching away).
Just shows you the integrity of the executive management at that company.

WEEFISH

« Reply #25 on: November 16, 2008, 02:49:22 PM »

Thanxs for all the replies. Unfortunately my elderly father bought a telus cell phone and we have had nothing but customer service issues. I just wanted to make sure it wasn't just me! I have now taken over the contract to take it off his hands. And the issues....
but I also plan to keep my rogers line as well so I don't regret canceling it!  Maybe have to cancel my telus home line instead ;D ;D ;D ..... Hopefully this contract runs out fast!!
<"((((><

salmon river

« Reply #26 on: November 16, 2008, 06:55:16 PM »

Didn't shaw get one of the bids for cell service or something a few months back when some were put up for sale? If they ever come out with a cell and the price is right I may get a cell phone again, hopefully if they do they keep their no contract policy.