Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Centerpin Rod blanks  (Read 10362 times)

younggun

• Old Timer
Centerpin Rod blanks
« on: July 19, 2008, 10:15:21 PM »

Hi guys, i've been searching around and have found some blanks that i want to get made into a cp rod, can u give your thoughts on the rods. I'm wanting a rod in the 11ft or bigger range as my 10ft is sometimes to short. If you go on to the lamiglas or talon sites you will see that there are other rods that are a little heavier or lighter than the ones i chose, i am looking for an all around rod. I like noodly type rods, but not super noodle. Rivers that i will be fishing are the vedder, chehalis, capilano and thompson, mabey seymour or coquitlam. Even on the small rivers a longer rod helps with line control.

Beulah Spey Blanks
-11'6  6/7wt blank $171
-12'7  7/8wt blank $200

Lamiglas Certified Pro Salmon/Steelhead Blank
-11'3 8-15lb medium action 2 piece $117

Talon Travel Rod Blank
-13' 3 piece 8-17lb medium action $189
Fish killer 101

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
Re: Centerpin Rod blanks
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2008, 10:18:54 PM »

10 1/2' is all you need on the Capilano, Seymour, Vedderand Chehalis in my opinion.

fish321

« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2008, 11:11:15 AM »

Avoid the spey blanks they will be way to light for much of anything. A good allround rod would be the lami or the talon.

jetboatjim

• Old Timer
  • catching poachers.
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2008, 06:09:10 PM »

my rods are only 9-10 feet , plenty long enough.

kingpin

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2008, 08:00:46 PM »

so which are you GF?  :D
Im an advocate for the supremacy of the bait fisherman race and a firm believer in the purity of it.

MERC

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2008, 09:55:50 PM »

Got a Beulah 13'7" 8/9 4 piece spey blank built into a pin rod.  Easily handled 25 lb spring last year but sensitive enough for coho's.
President Club S. C. & P.

younggun

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2008, 09:15:23 AM »

nice, thanks for the help guys.
Fish killer 101

Sandy

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2008, 02:55:50 PM »

Ignore the comment about not using a spey blank. I had Terry at Reaction build me a Rainshadow Forecast 12'6" 7/8 4 pc. Spey blank for my Milners, no problems, have landed a whack of chum,spring, coho and steelhead.

I'll second that. best pin rod I ever had was a spey rod.
finding your limits is fun, it can also be VERY painful.

If you care about Canada's future, get involved by holding your MLA's & MP's accountable!! don't just be sheep!!

doja

« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2008, 05:47:40 PM »

I was thinking the same last year and decided to make myself a custom spey rod with single foot guides so I could put a pin on if I wanted and,,,

It works great, I can flyfish if I want or pin it with an easy change in minutes.

I have a 13' 8/9 weight rainshadow spey and as said use it for flyfishing and the pin. have caught 3-4 pound dollys which gave a suppriseingly decent fight for the size of rod and the pinks were a good match and I would not doubt its ability to pull in a chinnok.

I also have a 11'6 6/7 weight and WOULD NOT use it on large fish over 8 pounds in rivers

And oh ya it's a 4 peice which is awsome for packing around in the bush or hiding in the car.

If you go with the spey, I would not go under a 7/8 weight for salmon and personly have found the 8/9 to be a good all around weight.

All and all I love the 4 peice spey better than my old bulk 2 peice drift rod

Good luck,

Doja

JAwrey

• 'Head Hunter
« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2011, 11:57:58 AM »

Hi guys, i've been searching around and have found some blanks that i want to get made into a cp rod, can u give your thoughts on the rods. I'm wanting a rod in the 11ft or bigger range as my 10ft is sometimes to short. If you go on to the lamiglas or talon sites you will see that there are other rods that are a little heavier or lighter than the ones i chose, i am looking for an all around rod. I like noodly type rods, but not super noodle. Rivers that i will be fishing are the vedder, chehalis, capilano and thompson, mabey seymour or coquitlam. Even on the small rivers a longer rod helps with line control.

Beulah Spey Blanks
-11'6  6/7wt blank $171
-12'7  7/8wt blank $200

Lamiglas Certified Pro Salmon/Steelhead Blank
-11'3 8-15lb medium action 2 piece $117

Talon Travel Rod Blank
-13' 3 piece 8-17lb medium action $189

I know this is an old discussion, hoping to find out where you got the numbers for the lamiglass blank, and where I could get one.

John
- John A.

Nitroholic

« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2011, 02:33:10 PM »

XSH 135 2M

slurpie

« Reply #11 on: June 04, 2011, 10:53:43 AM »

Why not just buy a factory spey rod instead of building a blank?  Warranty issues would be covered without having to custom rebuild the broken part.  You can also use the rod for speying in the future if you don't already spey.  When I'm drifting, I primarily use my switch rods.  I would commonly start the day speying  and perhaps later on switch to drifting, especially if the run gets too busy to flyfish.  Or, vice verse by changing the reel.  They are also much lighter.  My 2c.

kingpin

• Old Timer
« Reply #12 on: June 04, 2011, 11:12:21 AM »

with a lot of use the mono will start to groove thru the snake guides
Im an advocate for the supremacy of the bait fisherman race and a firm believer in the purity of it.

Dave

• Old Timer
« Reply #13 on: June 04, 2011, 11:32:53 AM »

with a lot of use the mono will start to groove thru the snake guides

About 10 years ago I built a Sage 2106LB into a level wind rod and used snake guides on the tip section with 3 strippers on the butt.  It's been used it a lot and so far there is no damage whatsoever to the guides.  If you do this make sure to use a quality tip top, not a fly rod tip.

BIG T

• Old Timer
  • One crazy fisherman!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #14 on: June 04, 2011, 11:39:14 AM »

About 10 years ago I built a Sage 2106LB into a level wind rod and used snake guides on the tip section with 3 strippers on the butt.  It's been used it a lot and so far there is no damage whatsoever to the guides.  If you do this make sure to use a quality tip top, not a fly rod tip.

Hi Dave
What is the advantage by using snake guides into a level wind rod?