Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Sasamat Lake  (Read 10350 times)

jimmywits

Re: Sasamat Lake
« Reply #15 on: August 25, 2009, 08:32:39 PM »

when i mentioned "fished out", i actually meant the stock was very low.  Why would i think every fish in the lake was caught anyways  ;)
That is exactly what I was trying to convey also, not every single fish in the system is going to be gone obviously, I guess we should make that painfully obvious!

BCfisherman97

• Old Timer
« Reply #16 on: August 25, 2009, 08:58:27 PM »

For carp you can just use bread or corn, but if your looking to make homemade baits just add some honey, syrup and some sugar to the recipe and you will be getting bites and alot of fish. Remember to loosen your drag or they will break off, and be EXTREAMLY silent or they will get spooked.

Have fun ;D :)

jon5hill

« Reply #17 on: August 25, 2009, 10:46:20 PM »

Spent the afternoon at Sasamat lake, caught 5 fish all off of the dock. The numbers are there, and these past few weeks have seen lower temperatures than those sweltering hot days of the summer. I hooked 2 with my fly rod and the other 3 on powerbait worms. I prefer to catch them on the fly rod because the fight is much more fun and they are easier to release. I had to bonk all 3 that were caught on powerbait as they swallow the entire thing every time.

BCfisherman97

• Old Timer
« Reply #18 on: August 25, 2009, 10:57:31 PM »

What fly, fly line and what kind of a strip do you use? And when you fish with a float what depth do you put?

Thanks Nicolas.

jon5hill

« Reply #19 on: August 26, 2009, 09:03:57 AM »

What fly, fly line and what kind of a strip do you use? And when you fish with a float what depth do you put?

Thanks Nicolas.

I was using a gold bead muddler, silver bodied, with a strip of gray rabbit fur. fast sinking line and as for what kind of strip.. well i change it up so much, it doesn't really matter just keep the thing moving and they'll attack it.

when i fish with a float i go 12-14 feet deep with 3 inch powerbait worms, highly visible colors like chartreuse, white, and hot pink work well. I use a very sensitive setup.

I think i saw you at como lake a few times, nice to see you on the forums.

jon

jimmywits

« Reply #20 on: August 26, 2009, 09:07:26 AM »

This practice (chumming) is illegal in BC so please don't do this in the future.

That is correct. Although heavily used, lakes around here do not get fished out. Fish simply become inactive in the summer therefore fishing is slower. Stock sampling has been done in the past prior to and after fall stockings, they have found a good number of fish stocked in the spring survive through the summer.
Look how many times they stock the urban lakes in the spring, if they only stocked once in the early spring I don't think very many trout would see the summertime!

oddjob

• woof woof
« Reply #21 on: August 26, 2009, 10:08:14 AM »

What size are the trout at Sasamat ?

jimmywits

« Reply #22 on: August 26, 2009, 10:42:11 AM »

What size are the trout at Sasamat ?
On average around 12/13 inches, but last year I landed a 17 and a 19 incher.

BCfisherman97

• Old Timer
« Reply #23 on: August 26, 2009, 12:18:04 PM »

Ya I think I did see you there a few times. :)

At Sasamat Lake I landed one last year which was 21 inches, great fight. ;D
« Last Edit: August 26, 2009, 12:19:59 PM by BCfisherman97 »

jon5hill

« Reply #24 on: August 26, 2009, 01:23:39 PM »

I've caught nearly 200 hundred fish at Sasamat lake, with nothing over 15 inches. I don't believe any of you fibbers!

jimmywits

« Reply #25 on: August 26, 2009, 01:54:08 PM »

I've caught nearly 200 hundred fish at Sasamat lake, with nothing over 15 inches. I don't believe any of you fibbers!
Keep trying!

BCfisherman97

• Old Timer
« Reply #26 on: August 26, 2009, 03:32:47 PM »

I might have just gotten lucky, I caught that one big one that was 21 inches and another 3 which were 10. My friend also caught an 18, but I think we just got lucky. ;D :P

oddjob

• woof woof
« Reply #27 on: August 26, 2009, 03:55:40 PM »

Are there any swimmers on the floats ( jumping in and splashing ) scarring the fish away ?

BCfisherman97

• Old Timer
« Reply #28 on: August 26, 2009, 04:22:25 PM »

The swimmers usually go home later in the afternoon.

arimaBOATER

« Reply #29 on: August 26, 2009, 06:51:09 PM »

If my memory serves me correctly.....the south end of the lake is deeper than the north end thus it may be better fishing on hotter days .  ( scuba dived there a few times. --- once in winter with a thin ice on top & a friend & I scuba dived into the shallows ...then stood up & we broke through the ice. A poor guy was walking his dog on shore ...nearly had a heart attack. ---Also another time a friend & I were going to have a few beers at the lake but up comes an RCMP car... so we hid the beer under a log & I even cover it it leaves etc.... Then a police dog jumps out of the car & goes running all over the place.... then OH NO ... it runs right to where our beers are hiddened "BARKS" ...the officer takes the beer to his car !!!!! So much for our plans.----------------------------------- But the water was quite clear even when we scuba dived in the deeper area of the lake so...the fish will definately will see lures etc... We did spot fish but when we dived at Cultus Lake we saw a way lot more fish than we did at Sasamat.