Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Whining!  (Read 10175 times)

troutbreath

• Old Timer
  • I does Christy
Re: Whining!
« Reply #30 on: October 27, 2006, 10:49:35 PM »

I was going to post some nice pics of me beeking sockeye under the Keith Wilson bridge but decided against it. ;D Wasn't worth being recognized, and listening to the whining >:(  Anyone know any good metal bands from Eastern Europe :-\
another SLICE of dirty fish perhaps?

blaydRnr

• Old Timer
  • nothing like the first bite of the season
« Reply #31 on: October 27, 2006, 11:08:45 PM »

>:(  Anyone know any good metal bands from Eastern Europe :-\

the scorpions

Nina

• Administrator
« Reply #32 on: October 27, 2006, 11:31:30 PM »

Well said, Funpig!

No one should be afraid of being ambushed or verbally assaulted while fishing.

bigguy

• Old Timer
  • what?? You want me to GET OUT and go fishing?
« Reply #33 on: October 28, 2006, 12:29:37 AM »

Well once again my comments, although maybe a bit exagerated "every second post", have created some active responses.  It must be the teacher in me  :o .  My comments were, as some have mentioned, in NO way meant to slag or disrespect Rod and the overall website! I enjoy this website and most of the interaction that takes place, I have learned a great deal from the likes of Rod, Chris and others, but that doesn't mean that I can't disagree. I also appreciate a great deal, the effort that some members have put towards the positive movement to better educate people about ehtical fishing, I hope that it makes a difference but I also wonder if it is too late.  Good luck and believe it or not I try my best to help wherever I can.

golfman you ask if I am part of the problem, well like most of us I FLOSS on the Fraser and maybe my leader gets a bit too long on the Vedder and sometimes I don't use a float,( good points FUNPIG, I was going to ask golfman about those same poitnts),  but overall I am an ehtical and I believe accepting member of the fishing community. Oh I forgot, I don't always hook fish perfectly in the point of the mouth.  ;) And once when I was first learning I did kick a pink back into the water!  But now I know better! ;)

I am also a transplanted American, not by my choice, from Tacoma.  My father, a career military man was and still is an extreme racist, so maybe that is why I take offence when I see those postings, (thank you Nina, and others), so I do feel that they are not needed.  There are ethical and nonethical (if that is a word) people from several cultures on the rivers so there is no need to mention culture or race.  I too get frustrated with the Vedder and Fraser gong show, maybe that is why I have not fished the Vedder this year, but I certainly appreciate what others are trying to do to educate people.  By the way after living in Canada for as long as I have, I think that I will stay, as I feel that Canadians, because of their mix of cultures are much more accepting of others.  I don't think that we need the WE ARE THE BEST attitude.  (Atlthough that I must say that the American border guards are much friendlier than their Canadian counterparts, maybe because they have guns!;)).  Anyway I could go on a great deal about politics, but this is a fishing website.

Funpig you made some solid points in your post, I think that in a much more sloppy manner I was trying to say the same thing!  I like the comment of Church Of Short Liners, as that is the general impression that I am feeling!  I too have read Herzogs books and find it interesting that bottom bouncing is quite well accepted in the US but somewhat frowned upon on the Vedder.  Maybe someone could explaiin why?  Once again FUNPIG a good post and I bet that there are a lot of others who feel the same way but may feel hesitant to post!

So once again ROD, take no personal offence.  And yes next time I will bring a huge supply of cheese, made in Armstrong!  Relax and hopefully everyone will catch a lot of fish and our male PMS will be eliminated!  !

phatwop

« Reply #34 on: October 28, 2006, 02:46:55 AM »

>:(  Anyone know any good metal bands from Eastern Europe :-\

the scorpions

Gorgoroth, Vader, Behemoth.

John Bigbooty

• Where am I ?
« Reply #35 on: October 28, 2006, 11:03:24 AM »

"I don`t think there is to much whining going on here, if anyone should be whining it should be Rodney. "

And he does, oh yes he does indeed.  ::) ;D

itosh

• I EAT llamas!
« Reply #36 on: October 28, 2006, 06:45:04 PM »

"I don`t think there is to much whining going on here, if anyone should be whining it should be Rodney. "

And he does, oh yes he does indeed.  ::) ;D

lol.... Rodney I think you better accept that offer of cheese.... might taste good with your whine!!....  :P :P

Shane

bigguy

• Old Timer
  • what?? You want me to GET OUT and go fishing?
« Reply #37 on: October 28, 2006, 10:28:58 PM »

Lets say I do not use the same tactics on the Vedder.  But i do bottom bounce at times which IS a perfectly acceptable and ethical practice.  I do not rip the line through the water.  :)   I think what I am trying to say by gong show, is the overall way that people crowd together and the unneeded manhandling of the fish..  I also am not happy with the argueing, name calling etc.  But once again, I did not say or imply that I was perfect Bill.. :)  When did flossing on the Fraser become wrong?

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #38 on: October 29, 2006, 01:06:51 AM »

lol.... Rodney I think you better accept that offer of cheese.... might taste good with your whine!!....  :P :P

Shane

I'll be eating a lot of cheese in about five weeks from now, so I think I will wait. ;)

After all the flossing debate this summer, I see that we are back to square one again.

I won't type up a whole essay again, since I'm going fishing in the morning. ::) Bigguy, some valid concerns, which I have addressed many times to remind people what this place is all about. The website is a business of mine, the forum is set up for everyone to use. It is not an organization, ie. united church of short floaters, which has a mission statement and hopes to create a movement in the fishing community for self interest. The forum is designed to cater all, young, old, different ethnic, cultural backgrounds, different fishing styles. In the past few weeks I've posted a couple of times regarding the importance of not stereotyping anglers based on where they fish. At times problems on the river become so bad, it creates a witch hunt type of movement. Taking photographs of anglers who are perceived as fishing illegally and posting them here is absolutely unacceptable. I have brought that up several times, and so far no one has done such a thing. If it occurs in the future, the poster would be hearing from me right away.

Funpig describes the forum as somewhat anti-flyfishing. Well, not entirely true. Majority of the forum membership is drift/gear fishermen, simply because the content being offered on the website. This doesn't mean the website is anti-flyfishing (I flyfish, at times, or try to). The forum simply lacks flyfishermen who actively post information. FishBC already has a forum that caters flyfishermen. It is often accused as an anti-gear fishermen forum, I don't find it that way. I participate on that forum regularly too, and find myself very welcome even though I primarily gear fish. You simply can't judge a forum or website based on a few vocal members' opinion. The forum community is driven by its members, I have no control on which way it should go. If you want more participants from the flyfishing side, then be actively involved in the flyfishing board.

Finally, has it occured to anyone that the root of the original problem (whining) is not caused by the forum? People are whining because of their bad experience on the river. Nobody likes to whine for no reason. Most people, except trollers, would want to see a positive atmosphere on the forum. The problems sit at the rivers and they are not going away. Instead of whining about whiners on the forum, how about getting involved and developing solutions and compromises for our river fisheries that can eventually stop the whining?

Damn, this turned out to be an essay after all. Good thing we gain one hour tonight.

Youngin

• Old Timer
« Reply #39 on: October 29, 2006, 02:01:26 AM »

funpig, I respect your thoughts and in some ways I agree with you!

I still think that BBING is a bit unethical though.. but legal.

TrophyHunter

• Old Timer
  • V.P. Club S.C. & P. & S.C. & F. Team Hop Sing
    • BB Pics
« Reply #40 on: October 29, 2006, 05:20:44 AM »

I too have read Herzogs books and find it interesting that bottom bouncing is quite well accepted in the US but somewhat frowned upon on the Vedder.  Maybe someone could explaiin why? 

By reading you're response I can see that you just don't understand what people are saying on this site, to me it is quite obvious... we hate watching people rip their lines through the water in hopes of snagging a fish !!! it doesn't matter how you do it!! with a float without a float, bottom bouncing, shortfloating whatever!!! it is the intentions of people that is the problem , you ask why bottom bouncing shouldn't be allowed ?? because people abuse it.. yes bottom bouncing the right way can be an effective way of targeting the fish to bite, the problem is most people use this technique for maximum snagging benefits!!! caling it a church of short floating is just silly. shortfloating is the most effective way of fishing with a float and enticing the fish to bite that is all !! we are not elitists because we choose to fish this way, I personally am sick and tired of watching idiots treat our resourses like garbage, I am tired of watching people snag fish, kick fish , drag them up on the beach and leave their garbage eveywhere, and no I don't just whine on here I take care of it in real life !!! if you choose to snag kick or litter in front of me on the river , I am going to do something about it.. if that makes me an elitist then so be it !!
 I am going fishing now have a nice day
TR

...oooO..............
...(....).....Oooo...
....\..(.......(...)....
.....\_).......)../.....
...............(_/......
... RICK WAS ......
....... HERE..........

XG Flosses with his Spey !!

darmin

« Reply #41 on: October 29, 2006, 07:36:32 AM »

I realize im not a subscribing member of this forum and my opion means little  ;) but i agree with Bill  wanna solve the problem nip it off at the roots snagging on the fraser is not any different then snagging on the vedder :)

Ribwart

« Reply #42 on: October 29, 2006, 09:47:50 AM »

Have a good day fishing Rod...bring us back a pic or two...
rib