Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Squamish River October 21st  (Read 3728 times)

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
Squamish River October 21st
« on: October 21, 2006, 11:59:04 PM »

A fishing report? By Rodney? The poles have reversed. ;) It has been awhile since I filed a fishing report, not because I have not been fishing, but mostly due to the lack of typing time. With over 200 posts per day to scan through each day, mental fatigue usually sets in after all the reading, which makes me turn that switch off immediately.

Anyways, Rod is still fishing, some are still fishing with Rod, just not reporting about fishing with Rod. ;D We've been doing quite a bit of filming, trying to come up with some good videos for subscribers to view in the near future. It amazes me how many tapes we go through each month, to come up with a 30 minute segment. The amount of editing work really makes me appreciate the folks who create fishing TV shows.

This morning, three alarm clocks sounded off simultaneously for about ten minutes before I threw two cats off my blankets and pulled myself out of bed at 5:30am. The clear starry sky indicated that we would have a cold fishing morning ahead of us. I slowly made my way to Shane's house, before heading to the Squamish River.

As many of you already know, the Squamish River offers good chum salmon fishing in October and November, and it is one of the few rivers that would consistently produce clean chum salmon. People tend to have the perception that all chum salmon caught in the Squamish River would be chrome, but in reality, only one out of every five to twenty fish would be considered ocean chrome. If your timing, technique and location are correct, your chance of tangling with a silver dog is much bigger.

Along the way, we stopped by Tim Horton's for our packed lunch. Shane decided to get a breakfast sandwich, which smelled rather good in the car on the way to the river, even though it took almost twenty minutes to make. ::)

We arrived at our spot with a couple other anglers who were already stationing at the river bank. Not to worry, as there was plenty of room for others to join. Our choice of weapon included the baitcasting setup with spoons and spinners, and a centerpin setup for float fishing. Although the 10.5' Stryker 2106 and 9' Fenwick HMX are more suitable for coho salmon, they can easily handle a medium sized chum salmon. These baitcasting rods were fitted with our chosen low profile baitcasting reels - Shimano Scorpion and Daiwa Advantage. I always think having a light setup is absolutely important when it comes to spoon casting, unless you have big guns like some of the well known forum members. ;D

After I briefly connected with a fish, Shane was into a good fish not long after we arrived. The fish surfaced directly in front of me. I saw a silver back, and cautioned him to take it easy. A few minutes later, a chrome female chum salmon was slipped into the shallow where Shane was able to tail. A quick photo of the fish and it went back into the run. This fish was definitely keepable, but there are already a couple other chum salmon in the process of being smoked so we decided not to keep it. This fish was taken on a blue striped spoon that I made. ;)

After spincasting for 30 more minutes with no result, I decided to pull the Islander Steelheader/Stryker 3106 setup out. Fitted with a 20g Drennan Zeppler and a small piece of pink wool, I was ready for some pin action. I had the leader length reduced to about 12 inches, after noticing a fair amount of foul hooked fish from previous trips with a longer leader. It worked out brilliantly, with this bigger doe after a dozen drifts.

This fish also went back to the run. With two chrome does landed, I began to question if I should have kept a fish or two in case future trips go sour. ::) Not a big deal, a few good photos were captured, the gear were tested flawlessly, so the trip was very satisfying so far. :)

By 10:00am, we noticed schools of fresh chum salmon had started to move in. Shane decided to put my Fenwick (yes, my... :P ) rod to the test...

I sat back and snapped photos as he fought this fish to shore.

When the fish was landed, his expression says it all.

"Dude, that is nasty, put it back!" ;D

Shane eventually became bored, so he decided to give the pin a go. Being a fly and baitcasting guy, he had never casted and caught a fish on a centerpin setup before. After a few pointers, he had no problem flinging that Drennan out. On the fifth or sixth cast, the float took the infamous dive.

I grabbed the video camera after snapping that photograph, and began capturing the fighting sequence and the loud clicking sound of the Islander Steelheader. :) The fight was smooth, unlike the landing. ;) Not knowing where the rod should go, the pin started having its own mind and fed line out as he tried to tail the fish. ;D After a brief delay, the fish made its debut to the video camera before swimming back again. :)

After landing a fish on the pin rod, he was satisfied and gave it back to me. I spent the next hour hooking and losing fish. ::) I blame the delay of the hookset on the weight of the setup. :P I was able to see two of the lost fish when they surfaced, they were just as clean as the first two fish that we connected with. ::) Float fishing for any species is so addicting. I was happy to just drift that float mindlessly with one Drennan dive every few drifts. One advantage of chum salmon is that they take that float with no hesitation. It is the perfect species for anyone who wants to finetune his or her float fishing technique without getting bored. Speaking of boredom, Shane's mind started to wander after all that chum action, so we decided to move on and find something more stimulating.

We spent the last couple of hours spoon fishing again, but this time the target species was bull trout. It's unusually early to find them in good numbers. Normally, bull trout would stage in tailouts and await for chum salmon eggs to flow down. I regard them as wolves of the river, travelling in packs and feeding whenever opportunities arise. After some exploring, we were able to find and connect with a few fish, on either blue and pink spoons. Notice the size of the spoon compared to the size of the fish in the third photo. Bull trout never hold back when it comes to hunting down preys. I had a couple of fish that smack the spoon or spinner just as it approached the river bank.

Overall, today's outing can be considered a good day. A few salmon here, a few char there, one cannot really complain. On the more negative note, here is today's casualty.

This incident took place near the end of our outing. I decided to drown my misery by getting a large Ice Cap on the way home. ;)

Clarity on the Squamish today was reasonable. Another week of cold weather should result in optimal river condition. If you decide to go up, daily quota of chum salmon is two per day, daily quota of hatchery coho is one per day, at certain locations so make sure you check the regulations. All trout and char are required to be released. There is a bait ban, but that doesn't seem to matter. :) If you are float fishing with wool, shorten the depth so you give about two feet between the hook and river bed. There are many older, staler chum salmon that sit just above the river bed, you certainly do not want to waste your energy and time hooking those. By having that hook suspended just above all the fish, your chance of having a aggressive, fresh fish striking it is much larger.

Good luck. :)

Coho Cody

• Old Timer
Re: Squamish River October 21st
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2006, 12:06:28 AM »

WOW. Finally a report from you! :D Sounds like a fun day!

Sorry to hear about your loss :-[ :-[ :-[

;D

Big Steel

• Old Timer
  • Searching for early Steel.....
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2006, 12:09:30 AM »

Awesome Report Rodney, I might have to make my way up there at some point.  Great pics as well.  Thanks. :) ;D
Fishing and Cars.... gotta love it!

Youngin

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2006, 01:58:32 AM »

Thanks for the awesome report!

stinkytroutboy

• stinkytroutboy
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2006, 08:29:25 AM »

Good report well done
crab cakes

Ribwart

« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2006, 09:27:35 AM »

Well written Rod, nice report....can't wait to see that video...

THE_ROE_SLINGER

• Old Timer
  • Roe Wizzard
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2006, 11:12:41 AM »

awsome report rod! Thanks for the report!eventhough all you caught was chum , and very clean chum i might add you still had a blast! good to hear.
weeeeeeeeeow!

ko

« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2006, 11:36:52 AM »

excellent report, those are some chum worth catching, never caught a clean chum like that, geuss you really dont get them like that in our lower mianland rivers.

GoldHammeredCroc

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2006, 11:39:56 AM »

Glad to hear you made it up as well.  I headed out early as well with my future brother in law to see if we could tussle with some chum on the fly.  I had tied up a couple of patterns over the previous evenings and hoped to see them work.  It was an early start as well and we arrived still in the very early dawn.  Choosing a location that had usually been good to me below the mouth of the Mamquam, I started casting and was rewarded quite early into the day with two fish both which took a personally tied fly.  Thats always a rewarding feeling.

Anyway, that was it unfortunately.  The wind came up ever so slightly but it went right through you and was chilly.  That combined with the tepid bath tub temparture the Squamish is known for  ::).  We called it a day at 11 am to go an install a vacuum so either the fish had not reached us yet, or they were making their way upstream without showing like they often normally do.  Were you much farther downstream?

Still, nice to be out in the peace and quiet + fresh air.  River is getting busier (obviously) as more fish are showing up.  Beautiful day so one can never complain.  A shot from today's outing.

Good luck to all.

*Lil Fisherman*

• Old Timer
  • I.AM proud to be a canadian fisherman!!
« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2006, 12:35:43 PM »

Hey BS, I think he is holding out on the coho, eh? ;D ;D :D

THE_ROE_SLINGER

• Old Timer
  • Roe Wizzard
« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2006, 12:56:14 PM »

excellent report, those are some chum worth catching, never caught a clean chum like that, geuss you really dont get them like that in our lower mianland rivers.
Thouht you dont like people posting about chum or chinook? ???
weeeeeeeeeow!

Big Steel

• Old Timer
  • Searching for early Steel.....
« Reply #11 on: October 22, 2006, 12:58:25 PM »

Hey BS, I think he is holding out on the coho, eh? ;D ;D :D
Who knows!!  But I am heading up there on Friday, so I'll see what I can do about the Coho!!  ;) I have had enough of the Vedder and a bar chum would be the next best bet!! ;D ;D
Fishing and Cars.... gotta love it!

*Lil Fisherman*

• Old Timer
  • I.AM proud to be a canadian fisherman!!
« Reply #12 on: October 22, 2006, 01:00:55 PM »

Hahaha, yaaaa. Well you be sure to post so I know! :P :D

lucky

• Old Timer
« Reply #13 on: October 22, 2006, 03:29:41 PM »

looks like a fun time, great to see you typing up reports again Rodney, those are some beautiful looking chum, I might have to venture up that way one of these days. I cant imagine what the fight would be like in chum that fresh!

bbronswyk2000

• Old Timer
  • Not affilaiated with any club.....
« Reply #14 on: October 22, 2006, 05:11:31 PM »

Heading up on Saturday myself. Hopefully some fresh fish will be in the system. Nice report as always Rod.

Belong to the "4 F Club"
Fishing, Football, Fitness and Family