Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Vedder Oct.20  (Read 3530 times)

lucky

• Old Timer
Vedder Oct.20
« on: October 20, 2006, 09:18:16 PM »

Hit the lower end at first light, fished a run with a couple other anglers, fished hard but no coho where to be seen, I did bonk a clean spring and released a few darker ones as well as a couple of chum. We went for lunch and decided to head up river and try for a bit, I believe its the ranger run right below the fishing boundary, I kinda new what to expect but decided to try it anyways, the atmosphere was nothing like the good company we had in the morning, the run was lined with eastern europeans who were snagging fish cast after cast, bonking them and keeping multiple fish each. The people at this location had no ethics at all, when someone had a fish on everyone just kept casting over top of each other ignoring the guy playing the fish, I lost a spring when someone across river casted right ontop of the fish and tried to set the hook on the fish I was already playing. After this we decided to call it a day and head back to the city, right before we left we looked up river and saw a huge black bear carrying a fish into the bush. Although we didnt see any coho caught all day it was still a great day to be on the flow. 

http://www.fishingwithrod.com/member/gallery/vedder-Oct-20

Hook Set

Re: Vedder Oct.20
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2006, 09:25:19 PM »

Good Job. I also hit the vedder today with a friend and his dad. Report and pics to come later ;)

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2006, 09:53:58 PM »

Nice Maple Leaf Stealth floats too. ;D ;D

testo84

• officially a hardware addict
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2006, 10:21:28 PM »

Nice

where is ROE KID ALL DAY LONG ?

!!
hardware == fish

gman

« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2006, 10:23:00 PM »

I was also out on the lower river today. Landed lots of chums and a couple of springs including a big chrome spring doe that I decided to keep. The people were friendly where I was, and most people were fishing in a reasonable manner.

Water was a bit greener than last week - while the river is still low, with the reduced visibility conditions are not bad. Fish were biting much more agressively than a week or so ago. Had to reach the pliers way back in the throat behind the dogs and springs teeth to remove the hooks.

I was the only one in the spot using roe. At first I was hooking up way more than the others. Later it was reversed, untill I switch from roe and then started hooking lots again. With the fish biting so much it was interesting to try diffferent gear and see what worked best. They defintely went for different gear through the day.

scruffy

• Old Timer
  • fish on
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2006, 10:28:06 PM »

nice fish you got there,to bad about the other location but that seems like it's everywhere did the water get any colour from that bit of rain or is it still clear.

Coho Cody

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2006, 10:36:48 PM »

!!

whining about how he didnt get out today. he needs sometime to himself right now ;D

younggun

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2006, 10:46:50 PM »

hey i need to get out to! No one wants to take me! >:( Man if only if only!
Fish killer 101

THE_ROE_SLINGER

• Old Timer
  • Roe Wizzard
« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2006, 12:15:53 AM »

!!

whining about how he didnt get out today. he needs sometime to himself right now ;D
ACTUALLY I DID GET OUT!! ;D and increased my coho count to #4 today ;)  later on in the mornin im going out again with some members to slay more coho ;D
weeeeeeeeeow!

*Lil Fisherman*

• Old Timer
  • I.AM proud to be a canadian fisherman!!
« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2006, 12:51:13 AM »

Yaaaa you got ht right booyyy!!!!!
We gonna slay allllllllll day my man!!!

Big Steel

• Old Timer
  • Searching for early Steel.....
« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2006, 09:56:20 AM »

Well, I was out yesterday as well and found a huge amount of coho first light!! :o  You wanna know how many I hooked out of the couple hundred that were in the run?  2. :-\  Lost them both, both on roe.  then down to the next run, didn't see to many fish rolling but figured I would try some of Rodney's Spinners and lures.  They resulted in a Spring on the spinner and a good solid hit first cast with the lure that I wasn't ready for and didn't get a good hookset.  Coho rolled to the surface and off. ???  After that nothing for a couple hrs of spoon and spinner tossing.  Perhaps I should have stuck it out at the first run and perhaps they would have turned on at some point.  :-\ Anyhow, explored a bit in teh mid river area, all I could find were Springs and Chums.  Landed 5 more chum that were in pretty good shape.
That was my day, was going to go out today but didn't feel like it.  Might go out for an hr or 2 first light tomorrow to work the ponds with lures and spinners. ;)
Fishing and Cars.... gotta love it!

FlyFishin Magician

• Old Timer
« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2006, 11:23:55 AM »

I hit the lower river with the fly on Friday with my buddy Kevin.  I ran into Doug - good to see you again my friend!  Anyway, the fishing was good until the sun hit the water.  Then the fishing died right off!  The only guys hooking fish were flossing fish in the fast water.  Hmmm... :-\.

Anyway, I managed to land a nice spring - although it was getting dark.  I lost a couple of chrome bar springs - one which jumped several times before my 8 lb fluorocarbon snapped.  Landed a few chum as well.  Didn't see any coho.

Kevin took off to check out other parts of the river.  He found a spot where there were coho and he gave me a call.  The coho were present - but were completely lock-jawed!  Decided to head home and tie up more flies...

Floater

• Old Timer
« Reply #12 on: October 21, 2006, 12:30:31 PM »

Hit the lower end at first light, fished a run with a couple other anglers, fished hard but no coho where to be seen, I did bonk a clean spring and released a few darker ones as well as a couple of chum. We went for lunch and decided to head up river and try for a bit, I believe its the ranger run right below the fishing boundary, I kinda new what to expect but decided to try it anyways, the atmosphere was nothing like the good company we had in the morning, the run was lined with eastern europeans who were snagging fish cast after cast, bonking them and keeping multiple fish each. The people at this location had no ethics at all, when someone had a fish on everyone just kept casting over top of each other ignoring the guy playing the fish, I lost a spring when someone across river casted right ontop of the fish and tried to set the hook on the fish I was already playing. After this we decided to call it a day and head back to the city, right before we left we looked up river and saw a huge black bear carrying a fish into the bush. Although we didnt see any coho caught all day it was still a great day to be on the flow. 

http://www.fishingwithrod.com/member/gallery/vedder-Oct-20
Come on now if your gona rag on the eastern europeans you gotta rag on the asians too its just not fair!
[

lucky

• Old Timer
« Reply #13 on: October 21, 2006, 12:40:10 PM »

the four men snagging fish beside me were russian I believe, thats why I referred to them as eastern European, if they had of been asian people snagging, I would have referred to them as asians, just relaying what I saw. When one of the men almost casted my rod into the river on his backcast, I noticed he was using a huge bare sturgeon sized hook with the barb on, I gave him a dirty look and he pinched the barb and continued fishing with a bare hook. :-\

Floater

• Old Timer
« Reply #14 on: October 21, 2006, 03:19:00 PM »

Thats why i stay away from those fishing holes this year i think i only fished once 2 weeks ago with more than 3 people in the same hole. The rest of the day me and my friend would have a nice pool or run to ourselfs. They just need to close down the parts of the river like limit hole, KWB peach and lickman road and i bet you it would take a few seassons for the snaggers to find new spots. Alot of has to do with being lazy alot of people arent into hiking. ;)
[