Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Hatchery Coho Tidal Fraser  (Read 49776 times)

Hike_and_fish

• Old Timer
Re: Hatchery Coho Tidal Fraser
« Reply #135 on: October 06, 2018, 05:21:01 AM »

Can you please give me the name of your supplier.....I want what you're smoking.

HA !   Its obvious Ralph is pushing buttons here. He plays the devil's advocate. Gets the rocks off.

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #136 on: October 06, 2018, 01:20:50 PM »

per Donaldson et al (2011) beach seining of sockeye salmon produced survival to natal watersheds substantially higher than traditional angling methods (52% vs 36%) if the fish were released immediately.

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0165783610003231

"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

wildmanyeah

• Old Timer
« Reply #137 on: October 06, 2018, 02:34:21 PM »

per Donaldson et al (2011) beach seining of sockeye salmon produced survival to natal watersheds substantially higher than traditional angling methods (52% vs 36%) if the fish were released immediately.

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0165783610003231

angling is closed on the fraser for salmon Ralph, kinda hard to compare 

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #138 on: October 06, 2018, 03:56:56 PM »

I made no comparison - Donaldson and associates made the comparison. Goes back to something said in the first few pages.

No point with a reconciliation liberal agenda. Will just be preceved as rascist rednect that are crying.

We’re getting to the point where fishing in the mainstream of the Fraser may be done for all sectors.

Lots of runs do for Sara listings or reviews over the next 10 years. Onnce we are off the water the ENGO will stat going after these fisheries.

One thing the sportfishing community has yet to get into their skulls that is as far as most of the rest of the population, particularly those under 40, angling has about as much cultural relevance as skate boarding. Which is not to be taken lightly. Skate boarders demand parks for their use after all.

Unlike skate boarding, when it comes to salmon fishing in BC, we have long ago been put in our place - which is last in line.

Finally all over North America there has been a steady change in the sort of people who manage the resource for our use. No longer predominately sympathetic anglers, 'fisherman' no longer have an interest in biology, ecology or conservation as they feel catch and release has given them a moral pass, most are now environmentalists or sympathetic to that philosophy. They no longer cut anglers kindly slack.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2018, 04:22:28 PM by RalphH »
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

bigsnag

• Old Timer
« Reply #139 on: October 06, 2018, 10:16:30 PM »

What I appreciate about some posters is their occasional flash of brilliant wisdom.  Thanks RalphH.
It ain't the roe bro'

Sage2106

« Reply #140 on: October 12, 2018, 07:27:30 PM »

Dfo is out to lunch. Set net and drift net openings starting this weekend from below the Port Mann to hope. So much for conservation

stsfisher

« Reply #141 on: October 13, 2018, 07:10:25 AM »

Dfo is out to lunch. Set net and drift net openings starting this weekend from below the Port Mann to hope. So much for conservation
Sorry Sage I do not see the opening. Could you provide a link to this opening so I can send my letter based on their official notice.
Thank you.
https://notices.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/fns-sap/index-eng.cfm?pg=search_results&ID=all&Regions=All&Fisheries=&Areas=&year=2018&CFID=38144523&CFTOKEN=5e2924f6a8fc273b-495C8320-D72E-3052-D1A410FE6B04EA8D

Hike_and_fish

• Old Timer

wildmanyeah

• Old Timer
« Reply #143 on: October 13, 2018, 08:03:52 AM »

Sage2106

« Reply #144 on: October 13, 2018, 08:37:59 AM »

I think its time to start pooling some money together and hire a good laywer and take the dfo to task for their mismanagement of our fish. This is an outright big middle finger to everyone kicked off the water for conservation concerns. Enough is enough

Noahs Arc

• Old Timer
« Reply #145 on: October 13, 2018, 08:51:49 AM »

Make your voice heard however you see fit. Just be an adult about it and don’t go flinging mud, as much as we’d all like to kick whoever makes these decisions in the baby makers. Don’t leave these things to the vocal few at the top of our sport, every call or email matters.

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #146 on: October 13, 2018, 09:32:24 AM »

I think DFO's unilateral control of this situation is over estimated. Believe it was Ernie Crey I saw on the local news. Anyway the story was local bands were complaining they can't make their allocation on sockeye catch because beach seine's weren't efficient enough or some bands simply don't have access to suitable beach seine sites on their fishing territory.

Back when the IF coho closures kicked in their were similar complaints from Fraser Valley FNs. What made the difference in that situation was interior bands intent on protecting those fish kicked in in support of the closure and use of selective methods. It wasn't easy. Some of the interior associations like the Nicola Tribal Association are on board with IFS conservation to the same extent.

To lift the set nets openings DFO has to get the local bands to agree. It has to be in their fishing plans they will not use set nets in the fall. Other bands including some interior associations may help as it is going to take persuasion, not yelling and not regulatory changes by fiat from DFO.

Tangles

« Reply #147 on: October 13, 2018, 03:38:33 PM »

Well, I see a lot of fishermen fishing roe and spinners lately during my daily walks with the kids along the Lower Fraser. Obviously a lot of people are fed up and give it a go regardless.

BBarley

« Reply #148 on: October 13, 2018, 05:13:48 PM »

Recreational anglers have little voice and will have little voice as long as we are all segregated into individual groups and races and fight amongst ourselves. We are pleasure seeking and need nothing so we are allocated nothing. Fellow board members have stipulated that we come last, and that’s exactly what it will come down to as long as we fight and bicker for our own quota.

We’re never going to overrule court mandated allocations so trying to argue why nets are out and we aren’t is pure stupidity.

Arguing from the point of recreational anglers is stupid IMO and that why we need to unite as a conservatory cause and be the ones to fight for the fish.

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #149 on: October 13, 2018, 05:36:50 PM »

Arguing from the point of recreational anglers is stupid IMO and that why we need to unite as a conservatory cause and be the ones to fight for the fish.
Perfect! I wish I had said that!