Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: 2016 Fraser River chinook salmon opening information  (Read 10852 times)

Noahs Arc

• Old Timer
Re: 2016 Fraser River chinook salmon opening information
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2016, 09:01:28 AM »

Bust out the spin n glows!!!!!!!
Leave the flossing gear at home people!

fic

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2016, 10:00:27 AM »

I've never tried targeting chinook jacks in the Tidal Fraser from shore during this time of the season.  It is likely or even possible during this opening?

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2016, 11:36:42 AM »

I've never tried targeting chinook jacks in the Tidal Fraser from shore during this time of the season.  It is likely or even possible during this opening?

people do it. Mostly it's still fishing with roe. I haven't done it much in 30+ years. It is usually very slow but I remember some very good fishing in the later part of August once the river clears a bit.
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

fic

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2016, 05:59:34 PM »

people do it. Mostly it's still fishing with roe. I haven't done it much in 30+ years. It is usually very slow but I remember some very good fishing in the later part of August once the river clears a bit.
Thanks for the info.  I was thinking of using spoons to cast and retrieve but I guess the water is still a bit too murky for that.

bbronswyk2000

• Old Timer
  • Not affilaiated with any club.....
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2016, 06:17:33 PM »

The fall fishery in the tidal Fraser is better than the summer. Wait until the white springs come into the river in bigger numbers than it will be good.

Belong to the "4 F Club"
Fishing, Football, Fitness and Family

clarki

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2016, 07:07:47 PM »

Thanks for the info.  I was thinking of using spoons to cast and retrieve but I guess the water is still a bit too murky for that.

Within the not too distant past, the creek mouths of the Fraser River were popular chinook fishing locations and throwing spoons was one of the ways to target them. Although the fishery isn't what it was, and the creek mouth fishery came into its' own when the freshet was in full swing, it still could offer some opportunities for you.

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2016, 10:20:02 PM »

Within the not too distant past, the creek mouths of the Fraser River were popular chinook fishing locations and throwing spoons was one of the ways to target them. Although the fishery isn't what it was, and the creek mouth fishery came into its' own when the freshet was in full swing, it still could offer some opportunities for you.

It generally doesn't open until a good portion of that has passed but they will also be coho! :D
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2016, 11:53:59 PM »

Fishing with roe for chinook jacks in the Tidal Fraser River doesn't usually pick up until late August and gets really good for a few days just before the bait ban comes in effect after the September long weekend. On some days 30 or 40 jacks can be seen caught in one tide change when the season peaks.

The problem with fishing with roe during this time of the year is the high abundance of coarse fish. Your bait will be pecked on constantly so unless there are salmon constantly on the move and biting your bait, you'll need to rebait once every ten minutes or so because of the coarse fish.

Fishing with spoons for them is not impossible especially if water clarity is reasonably good in late August, but don't expect success rate to be anywhere near what you'd see in the pink salmon fishery. I find chinook salmon rarely take spoons in the Tidal Fraser River compared to pink and coho salmon.

samw

« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2016, 12:37:14 AM »

While fishing for pinks in late Sept one year with a spoon in the tidal Fraser, I ended up with a chinook jack.  It jumped and pulled like no pink that I've caught ever did and this fish was only 3-4 lbs.  Visibility was poor but fish somehow find those spoons (probably through vibrations).

« Last Edit: July 30, 2016, 02:42:19 PM by samw »

nosey

« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2016, 08:54:09 AM »

Bar fishing Monday morning sounds good to me! Hopefully the snaggers will stay home.

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2016, 11:59:37 AM »

Bar fishing Monday morning sounds good to me! Hopefully the snaggers will stay home.
One would hope so but of course there always will be some, just like those that continue to use their phones will driving.

I have my spot all picked out to set out the bar rod at first light.

Steelhead Fever

« Reply #12 on: August 01, 2016, 01:57:25 AM »

Hi guys, was really hoping bar fishing would open on the tidal portion of the Fraser today aug 1st but it says....current status is closed.
Those regs are only when it's "open" as far as I understand.
I'd love to go out for a few hrs today and chill with rod and bell, would be so nice to do that even though I only get bullheads and whitefish hahahaha, I'm getting more confident now though that one day I'll hear that bell go crazy.
When will it open for salmon? hmmm
Last year it opened and closed like a couple days later due to low water and drought.

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #13 on: August 01, 2016, 07:52:23 AM »

Waters:  Tidal waters of the Fraser River (downstream edge of the CPR bridge at
Mission to the mouth).

Effective dates: 
One hour before sunrise Monday, August 1 until one hour after sunset Monday,
September 5, 2016, the daily limit for chinook salmon is four (4) with only one
(1) greater than 50 cm.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #14 on: August 01, 2016, 09:55:04 AM »

Steelhead Fever,

The Tidal Fraser River is open for salmon fishing and chinook salmon retention as of today. I've included the fishery notice for it in the original post but here it is again:

http://www-ops2.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/fns-sap/index-eng.cfm?pg=view_notice&DOC_ID=186631&ID=all

You were looking at the BC Tidal Sport Fishing Guide, where the table has been updated incorrectly as it does more often than not.

http://www.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/fm-gp/rec/tidal-maree/fraser-eng.html